Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Renault R31

bot6 wrote:Looks like some kind of fuel leak... Hope Nick is OK.
ESPNF1 live feed wrote:Renault says: "Nick's car catching fire was not scheduled, cause being investigated"
Seriously? Not scheduled? :shock:
Isn't it required to have a scheduled explosion at least once a year? :lol:

adrianjordan

ESPNF1 live feed wrote:Renault says: "Nick's car catching fire was not scheduled, cause being investigated"
ESPNF1 live feed wrote:Renault says: "Right hand exhaust temp was very high from when Nick left pits. It was thought to have been a sensor problem. Rather evidently, it wasn't"
[/quote]

And people say the PR people working in F1 have no sense of humour...!! =D> =D> =D>
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ringo

A hole in the right exhausts caused the overheating.
For Sure!!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Does anyone have specific knowledge of the alignment system shown on page 89?

Brian

adrianjordan

Does anyone think that this fire was much worse than it would have been with rear exiting exhausts?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

probably was worse due to the engine maps their running, same as most of the top teams to keep the exhaust gases flowing even when off the throttle, would imagine there was fuel in the pipes & that's why it was worse

PlatinumZealot

The leak seemed to start from the back of the car so i don't think with a different design things would have been safer.
It's an unlikely accident and seems more from overheating than engine maps.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

beelsebob
beelsebob

n smikle wrote:The leak seemed to start from the back of the car so i don't think with a different design things would have been safer.
It's an unlikely accident and seems more from overheating than engine maps.
I think what he's pointing out is that if it hadn't been for the FEE and EBF, the flames wouldn't have been coming out around the cockpit by the time he stopped.

JMN
JMN

adrianjordan wrote:Does anyone think that this fire was much worse than it would have been with rear exiting exhausts?
The forward position of the exhaust definitely allowed the fire to jump forward, judging by the video footage. What puzzles me is how Renault writes it off as an exhaust failure. Clearly, the fire was fueled by something. Admittedly, it's possible it's a problem similar to that which plagued the 458 italia rear fenders, however, doesn't it sees more likely it was either hydrolics or the gearbox?

Blackout

marcush.
marcush.

JMN wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:Does anyone think that this fire was much worse than it would have been with rear exiting exhausts?
The forward position of the exhaust definitely allowed the fire to jump forward, judging by the video footage. What puzzles me is how Renault writes it off as an exhaust failure. Clearly, the fire was fueled by something. Admittedly, it's possible it's a problem similar to that which plagued the 458 italia rear fenders, however, doesn't it sees more likely it was either hydrolics or the gearbox?
as far as i know the ferrari 458 italia fires were triggered by a body sealant non compliance for the temperatures involved.the sealer was a carry over from earlier models as I understand but one should not be too easy with carryover parts and proceedures...
If that has a relevance to the Renault incident?

Carlo's
Carlo's

Blackout wrote:Image
doesn't work for me.

EDIT: Ok, it's ok now. Little changes to Renault cars in Spain, I'm waiting for major upgrade impatiently.

ringo

that's helping the exhaust pipes.
Theyve done a few things upstream to help out their floor and exhuast . The brake duct fins are also aiding the pipes.
For Sure!!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Carlo's
Carlo's