Indy 500

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
timbo
timbo

Indy 500

So, who watched it?
Unbelievable finish!
Had I not see it, I'd say that was from that Stallone movie.

Sebp

Re: Indy 500

It was the first IndyCar race I watched in ages (10 years plus). Although I think it was quite exciting to watch there were a couple of things that will prevent me from watching too many oval-races.

What bugs me the most is, the best drivers didn't win. Those being Scott Dixon or Dario Franchitti. They set the pace for most of the race but lost due to the lottery that is the caution-periods. Those double-file restarts were enjoyable though.
About the finish, I was face-palming all the way from where Hildebrand started to overtake that backmarker. Such a stupid move... it is only fair he lost first place to the guy who's cockpit he inherited at the start of the season.

And don't get me started about the opressing amount of advertising on abc/ESPN. :roll:

All in all nice sunday evening entainment with about the same racing merit as the Fast&Furious movies have.

cossie
cossie

Hate all the fricking gimmick racing, double resarts are going to get someone killed, the NASCARing of open wheel racing just doesn't work

Belatti
Belatti

Sebp wrote: And don't get me started about the opressing amount of advertising on abc/ESPN. :roll:
The 90% of the reason I cant watch American racing is that. Here I only have ESPN coverage and advertising lasts 5 minutes every 5 minutes. You barely get 50% of the race. And the worst part is many many advertisements are from other ESPN programs, not even commercials.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Ray

Belatti wrote:
Sebp wrote: And don't get me started about the opressing amount of advertising on abc/ESPN. :roll:
The 90% of the reason I cant watch American racing is that. Here I only have ESPN coverage and advertising lasts 5 minutes every 5 minutes. You barely get 50% of the race. And the worst part is many many advertisements are from other ESPN programs, not even commercials.
At least they don't ignore the cars on track in favor of making damn sure the trackside sponsor boards take of 80% of the available camera shot. Seriously, I almost stopped watching Monaco because they kept zooming in to frame the DHL sign perfectly coming out of the hairpin. American TV race coverage is bad, but the FOM is the absolute worst at actually putting the cars in frame and keeping them there. They'd rather show long low shots of the cars at the very bottom and the sponsor boards and trackside signs at the middle and top taking up 80% of the screen. Disgusting.

The race was boring, as usual. The cars are always worrying about fuel. The last two laps were the only entertaining part of the race and I felt so bad for Hildebrand. So so close. Wouldn't it have been nuts if he won it after tagging the wall? :shock:

Belatti
Belatti

Ray wrote:The race was boring, as usual. The cars are always worrying about fuel. The last two laps were the only entertaining part of the race and I felt so bad for Hildebrand. So so close. Wouldn't it have been nuts if he won it after tagging the wall? :shock:
Agree about the FOM coverage.

About Indy strategies, I have always wondered if some yellows are really needed. Fuel tank capacity could be larger but seemed fine in contrast with tyre degradation (Rear right). can they use different compounds like in the past?

The first thing I thought Ray, when I saw Hildebrand hitting the wall was: "Wheres Wheldon? Will this guy win with half a car?!?!? :o "
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Actually, Hildebrand came closer to winning than most thought. Those who saw the race watched as he tore up the right side of his car in turn four, then kept on the gas in an effort to get across the finish line first.

But what's incredibly interesting is when the yellow came out, because once the lights change from green to yellow and start flashing, the field is frozen. hmmm, a lot closer on second examination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKM-Q71TclA
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Ray

You and me both Belatti! :lol: I was frantically looking all over that shot of JR crossing the finish line trying to figure out if Wheldon had actually gotten close enough. I swore he won the race for about 45 seconds! Elation, disbelief, heartbreak. Great two laps and if I was Hildebrand I would have been bawling when I got out of my car. Same with Massa in Brazil in 08, I would have been crying like a baby.

After looking at that video DK, I didn't realize just how close he was. Had it taken 2 more seconds for Wheldon to catch up JR would have won! That was amazingly close.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

To be honest, I can think of many, many Indy races that were more interesting and exciting. But this one is definitely unique, due to the manner it finished.

But the ability of a race to become chaotic and unpredictable really makes things interesting. Heck, a few hours later at Charlotte the winner was decided on fuel mileage, as many cars ran out of gas at the very end.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Ray

Fuel mileage races suck though! I understand it's no different than tire strategy but I still had to see a race end with the field driving as gingerly as possible to avoid running out of gas.