Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Francesc
Francesc

Re: Renault R31

At the end they scrapped this W wing and they run most the of the session with the usual one just with less angle of attack, so it seems this wing won't ever work. They called this a new rear wing, when it's last year's rear wing... Renault (Genii) are definetely short on money.

zgred

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Francesc wrote:At the end they scrapped this W wing and they run most the of the session with the usual one just with less angle of attack, so it seems this wing won't ever work. They called this a new rear wing, when it's last year's rear wing... Renault (Genii) are definetely short on money.
Looks different than last year's wing to me. Are you saying that they have no development staff and fab staff anymore? Of course they do .. using old wings is a ridiculous notion on your part.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Roughly what is the reason for the shape? Does this have something to do with airflow off the intake/roll bar bodywork?

Brian

shelly
shelly

BreezyRacer wrote:
Francesc wrote:At the end they scrapped this W wing and they run most the of the session with the usual one just with less angle of attack, so it seems this wing won't ever work. They called this a new rear wing, when it's last year's rear wing... Renault (Genii) are definetely short on money.
Looks different than last year's wing to me. Are you saying that they have no development staff and fab staff anymore? Of course they do .. using old wings is a ridiculous notion on your part.
Do not exaggerate: it is not ridiculous at all. Other teams have done this type of carry over with low downforce wings in the recent past. It could well be the same physical piece of last year, just repainted and with a new add on glued on for drs
twitter: @armchair_aero

Francesc
Francesc

BreezyRacer wrote:

Only the second flap is a little bit bigger than last year, but the main plane is exactly the same :roll:

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

First, they are building new items all the time.

Second, it cannot be last year's wing, which wasn't a DRS design.

Third, the statement that team funding has ANYTHING to do with a wing selection is just plain ludicrous.

If you want to comment on a team's financial strength just say it, don't hide it in some trifling comment on a rear wing design. Sorry if it sounds crass, but these guys are working as hard as anyone to set the pace.

zgred

shelly
shelly

BreezyRacer wrote:First, they are building new items all the time.

Second, it cannot be last year's wing, which wasn't a DRS design.

Third, the statement that team funding has ANYTHING to do with a wing selection is just plain ludicrous.

If you want to comment on a team's financial strength just say it, don't hide it in some trifling comment on a rear wing design. Sorry if it sounds crass, but these guys are working as hard as anyone to set the pace.
No they are not always building new parts, especially wings.

They can modify and adapt existing wings.

Agree that it is not directly related to budget.
twitter: @armchair_aero

zgred

Nickel
Nickel

Are there any Aerodynamics gurus who can explain the principle behind this to me? In my mind, although I can understand the reduction in downforce of the design, it looks as though it would create a fair amount of drag compared to simply reducing the size of the main plane (as say red bull have done for Montreal). Insight would be much appreciated.

Holm86

I believe its just to get even more air underneath the wing. To create lower pressure under the wing.

I would believe it has a lower drag penalty than just increasing the AoA.

neilbah
neilbah

the curvy wing is back..does it not effectively widen the wing surface a little? i think i saw test photos of them running it without a top flap at all ,abu dhabi?

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

I would love to see some flow lines on that wing, especially the bottom of the lower element. I wonder if it develops two large centralized vortexes along the two convex curves, and if so how does that minimize drag. seems to me like it would build some pretty strong wake vortexes but that's just supposition on my part.

Conventionally, strong vortexes are generated along the end plates but much effort is expended to break that up, specifically to reduce drag. So I'm puzzled ..

marcush.
marcush.

would such a wing create crossflows over the wingspan as the air will undoubtedly be acellerated quite differently from middle to endplate or is it more like the design tries to equalize and take into account endplate influence as well as influence from the car body in front of the wing ?

a simple 1 section wing seems to be quite unsophisticated considering the air cannot be homogene hitting the wing leading edge..