LeMans 24 hours 2011

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Ciro Pabón

Re: LeMans 24 hours 2011

... and this proves for the umpteenth time that leca or gravel is useless.

Safety areas must be paved, it's the only way to give some control before a crash.

A car on gravel is totally uncontrollable and it decelerates little. This has been said like a million times.
Ciro

Mr Alcatraz

Ciro Pabón wrote:... and this proves for the umpteenth time that leca or gravel is useless.

Safety areas must be paved, it's the only way to give some control before a crash.

A car on gravel is totally uncontrollable and it decelerates little. This has been said like a million times.
Would you put trulli's shunt at Silverstone a few years back in the same category. If I remeber correctly he found about the only area that does not have runoff and had a scary moment in thr gravel
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

wesley123 wrote:Would be better if they had guard fences there, then the wheel wouldnt have went there either. Imo the drivers are better protected there and the wheels are inside covers, so they have much less space to go, when it lets go it already lost enough energy to cause any real harm.
Ciro Pabón wrote:... and this proves for the umpteenth time that leca or gravel is useless.

Shows that at Le Mans they still have about a good few years and areas for safety to improve.

Yes its a semi permenant race cource, but the area that McNish went off and the Porsche Curve entry all need a re-think.

wesley123
wesley123

one thing is for sure though, the record by Audi set last year will not be broken. we had what, like 50 minutes behind the safety car?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

wesley123 wrote:one thing is for sure though, the record by Audi set last year will not be broken. we had what, like 50 minutes behind the safety car?
Not too sure, i split from Eurosport to go and watch F1 FP3 on the red button.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Better resolution of crash:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Nb0Ienv6k[/youtube]

Ray

Not to be unexpected from such an overly agressive driver. I respect Allans talent immensely, but that bit of driving was completely unnecessary move and he could have easily killed any number of those photographers and marshals because Allan is an impatient man. As much as I despise Scott Preutt he was the only person on SpeedTV to say the truth, it was a stupid move and Allan should be called on it. Glad everyone is okay but the whole of Audi management needs to sit Allan down and tell him to quit being so stupid at the beginning stages of Le Mans because this isn't the first time Allan has put himself and other drivers in danger simply because he wanted to get out front. Now he's ruined his race, Tom's race, and Dindo's race. For what? Nothing.

wesley123
wesley123

That fin was doing his job, If he took off there he would have killed a few of those guys, and possibly even headed for the crowd.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ray

Audi has had another major crash with Mike Rockenfeller. The world feed doesn't have any real good video but he's had contact with a Ferrari 458 going down to Indianapolis. It appears that he's backed into the fence, the engine and gearbox are laying on the left side of the track and his condition hasn't been mentioned on the SpeedTV coverage. Hope everything is okay, it looked very serious.

EDIT: There are reports that he had gone over the guardrail so the closed cockpit will have helped there.

EDIT: The reports were that he had gone over the guardrail after exiting the car under his own power.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by Ray on 11 Jun 2011, 23:11, edited 2 times in total.

donskar
donskar

Ray wrote:Not to be unexpected from such an overly agressive driver. I respect Allans talent immensely, but that bit of driving was completely unnecessary move and he could have easily killed any number of those photographers and marshals because Allan is an impatient man. As much as I despise Scott Preutt he was the only person on SpeedTV to say the truth, it was a stupid move and Allan should be called on it. Glad everyone is okay but the whole of Audi management needs to sit Allan down and tell him to quit being so stupid at the beginning stages of Le Mans because this isn't the first time Allan has put himself and other drivers in danger simply because he wanted to get out front. Now he's ruined his race, Tom's race, and Dindo's race. For what? Nothing.
I'd hazard a guess that it's ruined the Ferrari team's (Risi?) race, too. And now Audi has taken out another 458?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Muulka
Muulka

Huge crash from Rockenfeller in the #1 Audi- clipped a Ferrari on the way down to Indy. Went right into the barrier. It also looks like there was a fire.

However, Audi says that he got out of the car himself and got over the barrier. Really says something about the savety of these cars... =D>

Pretty much a carbon-copy of McNish's accident. Just much faster.

zgred

Ray

donskar wrote: I'd hazard a guess that it's ruined the Ferrari team's (Risi?) race, too. And now Audi has taken out another 458?
It appears this was more of a mistake due to the Ferrari not seeing him. McNish was very overly agressive on the first contact, but this looks like a genuine racing incident. He had room to pass easily and was flashing his lights but it appears that the Ferrari simply didn't see him. Rocky isn't stupidly agressive like McNish can be.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Now Audi Sport car number #1 in a bad smash. Carbon copy to before with a Ferrari 458 Italia #71 entry. Hope Mike Rockenfeller is all fine and well.

This time it was at the second kink on the run down to Indionapolis from Mulsanne Corner.

Are the technichal regulations to blame now in Le Mans, they took arround 150 brake off the top end of the cars last year, but now are the teams now running the cars so skinny on downforce to make the time on the straights that they dont have the aero to overtake safely???

Ray

They are now saying it was the #71 AF Corse car that Michael Waltrip was driving, though he wasn't driving at the time. Those Audis are turning to dust when they hit something, completely unlike the R10 & R15. Rocky got himself out of the car and hopped over the barrier to get to a safe area.
Last edited by Ray on 11 Jun 2011, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.