Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Clausell
Clausell

Re: Renault R31

http://yfrog.com/kfri79j Novedades en #RENAULT, comparación viejo/nuevo alerón trasero probado en el GP CANADÁ...
Last edited by Steven on 18 Jun 2011, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal blog advertising

Pierce89

Carmack wrote:How much advantage (if any) has Renault gained by having FEE in wet conditions, as the exhaust is pushing away the water in front of the rear wheels? Any traction gain or am I thinking in the wrong direction altogether?

Cheers!
I'm no authority, but I'm pretty sure you are indeed looking in the wrong direction there. It's purely for aero permormance. I doubt track clearing was a design goal
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

hardingfv32 wrote:Are the small holes a common form of brake disc ventilation?

Brian
Yeah, I'm not sure if they are passing air through them or just use them to radiate heat though.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Carmack

I'm no authority, but I'm pretty sure you are indeed looking in the wrong direction there. It's purely for aero permormance. I doubt track clearing was a design goal
You misunderstood me, my apologies for not being exact enough. I didn't mean they had this effect in their minds when they drew FEE, I was just wondering if there was any advantage in this "side effect", as you can clearly see that the exhaust flow has qiute a lot of power and velocity.

Holm86

Carmack wrote:
You misunderstood me, my apologies for not being exact enough. I didn't mean they had this effect in their minds when they drew FEE, I was just wondering if there was any advantage in this "side effect", as you can clearly see that the exhaust flow has qiute a lot of power and velocity.
When the car i moving the exhaust gasses is not in contact with the surface of the tarmac for very long. So i doubt it has time to dry it up. I dont belive your idea works.

bjpower
bjpower

zgred wrote:Image
what benefit is there to this wake?
i always had it in my head they pointed the exhaust back to create a skirt type effect

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Speed pushes the wake back.

hecti
hecti

The little lip that helps curl the exhaust gas has one of those cool looking gurneys that more or a wing:

heres the link to all my post race pics:
Canada Post Race Pics

Carlo's
Carlo's

madly
madly

According to ScarbsF1: "Renault are running a front wing with a unique little "r" shaped fin in between the front wing elements."

New FW corresponding to new RW.

Carlo's
Carlo's

This wing was already used in Spain (Catalunya).

marcush.
marcush.

yeah I saw that wing before ..but was the little hook there as well? yes:

marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Neweay frankly admitted that they did not even think of Renaults exhaust solution and they were not willing to put any recources into finding out if there was better potential with that solution...hm ..
So it seems only Neweys concepts are getting copied in these days ..

Giblet
Giblet

marcush. wrote:Neweay frankly admitted that they did not even think of Renaults exhaust solution and they were not willing to put any recources into finding out if there was better potential with that solution...hm ..
So it seems only Neweys concepts are getting copied in these days ..
Probably due to cost, one rumor i head was that Renaults exaust system cost €6m in R&D and then a futher €850,000 to build and implement on each car. To date they have built 5 chassis, and the exaust is built into the chassis in the R31, so thats arround €4.5m on top of that.

Its an expencive solution.

The Red Bull style exausts cost arround half in R&D cost and arround 25% of the build and implementation cost of the Renault system.

Id rather have the most cost effective solution, whitch is the Red Bull style at present, as id rather have an extra €4m plus to develop the car in another area, and that area that
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

Re: Toro Rosso STR6 Ferrari

The bellcranks are no where as low as the ones on the RedBull. There is some scope for improvement for next year if they can redo the geometry.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-photos/72 ... 88/#179277
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028