Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Carlo's
Carlo's

Re: Renault R31

New sidepod intakes? Or just reflection of something else?

wesley123
wesley123

I think you are being fooled by the guy and the white cable, funny guy that is lol
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Carlo's
Carlo's

Yeah it seems so.

madly
madly

horse

madly wrote:Allison about blown floor:
http://www.lotusrenaultgp.com/5751-Blow ... ml?lang=en
James Allison wrote:On average, in the corners, the speed of the exhaust gasses is around 6 times the speed of the car. If this high speed gas can be directed at the underside of the floor, then as far as the part of the floor that is in contact with the exhaust is concerned, it will produce downforce just as if it was going 6 times as fast.
So Renault seem much more concerned with the impact that the FEE has on the leading edge of the floor and it's suction peak than the course of the airflow towards the diffuser or not.

Also an indicator that the exhaust gas velocity is around 1000mph.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Holm86

horse wrote:
James Allison wrote:On average, in the corners, the speed of the exhaust gasses is around 6 times the speed of the car. If this high speed gas can be directed at the underside of the floor, then as far as the part of the floor that is in contact with the exhaust is concerned, it will produce downforce just as if it was going 6 times as fast.
So Renault seem much more concerned with the impact that the FEE has on the leading edge of the floor and it's suction peak than the course of the airflow towards the diffuser or not.

How did you come up with 1000mph??

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Holm86 wrote:
horse wrote:

How did you come up with 1000mph??
Yea it's probably 600mph ish. I don't know the average corner speed of F1 cars.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

cravenciak
cravenciak

I guess that you've seen:

hmm

Magic Silverstone? :P

zgred

horse

Owen.C93 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:How did you come up with 1000mph??
I took the average corning speed to be 150mph. Too high? Sorry.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

ringo

The exhuast manifolds may have been re positioned i think.

More evidence presents itself regarding the exhuasts, nice fodder for the FEE thread.

Those fins on the brake ducts look like redbull's. Should help keep the tyres on the ground.
For Sure!!

cravenciak
cravenciak

myurr
myurr

horse wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:How did you come up with 1000mph??
I took the average corning speed to be 150mph. Too high? Sorry.
He said that it was six times the average speed of the car, so he was a little vague in whether that was corner speed or round a whole lap.

Assuming he meant whole lap then last years fastest lap of Silverstone in the race had an average speed of 145mph, giving an approximation of the exhaust gas speed of 870 mph.

PlatinumZealot

Well it has to be the speed of sound or there abouts. As a friend of mine likes to say, it's F'ing fast! :lol:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

marcush.
marcush.

ignoring the facts of waves and acoustic phenomena and their ability to get more than a 100% filling I fail to see those exhaust gas speeds at the exit.

So it´s 2.4litre engines -we can say each bank is 1.2litres swept volume. a four stroke engine fires and exhausts gas only every second revolution so that is reducing exhaust volume to .6l per rev ....times 16000 revs and we arrive at 9600 l/min...or 160l/sec or 16000cm³/s ...we got an exit area of say 80mm by 40mm and arrive at average 40m/s exit speed for 16K revs...
of course you have consider the vehicle ground speed

where do I go wrong?