Bought a Sauber C16

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
est1984
est1984

Re: Bought a Sauber C16

how much was this?

Richied76
Richied76

williams steering rack? just a sticker? original equipment? or a retro fitted part at some point in its life?

Muulka
Muulka

Richied76 wrote:williams steering rack? just a sticker? original equipment? or a retro fitted part at some point in its life?
That's a bit odd, now that you point it out, but Williams probably sold parts of a car's design to other teams, much like modern teams (including Williams still) sell things such as gearboxes to other smaller teams. I see no reason why it would have been any different in the 90's- and Williams wasn't exactly known for making shoddy components then, were they?

iceracer
iceracer

I think its a cheap Williams F1 steering rack! :o

DM0407
DM0407

I see no reason why it would have been any different in the 90's- and Williams wasn't exactly known for making shoddy components then, were they?
I can't tell if your being serious or using some sarcastic form of morbid humor. Of course Williams had some tremendously well built cars, the cause of Senna's death is sometimes attributed to a faulty steering rack.

beelsebob
beelsebob

DM0407 wrote:
I see no reason why it would have been any different in the 90's- and Williams wasn't exactly known for making shoddy components then, were they?
I can't tell if your being serious or using some sarcastic form of morbid humor. Of course Williams had some tremendously well built cars, the cause of Senna's death is sometimes attributed to a faulty steering rack.
s/rack/column/

Muulka
Muulka

DM0407 wrote:
No, I was being serious- they were well-built, though NEwey did recently say that the rack on the FW16 (right number? Not sure lol) was very badly designed, but that it wasn't certain if it broke before or during the accident. Either way, there was an awful lot of flex in the column downward. I saw a video of it- it looked bloody scary, thinking that something that flexes so much is all that lets you control your direction at 200mph.

Anyway, back on topic, but related to what I said before, is there any vertical flex in the steering column when you put a force on it in the C16? Is that even a standard design feature of F1 racks/columns? I know very little about steering systems, so I'm trying to enhance my knowledge!

siskue2005

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

iceracer
iceracer

helo!
well steering feels very rigid!, and looks genuin-i thinks this is orginal for this car !

however its not that advanced like nowdays cars of F1 !..
n that suits me perfect!..

Richard
Richard

Why would someone paint a non-Ferrari in Ferrari colours????

Did they also stick a prancing horse on the granny's Fiat 500?

Richied76
Richied76

richard_leeds wrote:Why would someone paint a non-Ferrari in Ferrari colours????

For promotional purposes. Either that or someone tried upping its saleability once in its life. As for the steering, the only way to find out is to get solid info from sauber. You had a shop about for tires, brakes (pads/disks) yet? alot of cars that have been used for display or have been sat for while can sometimes have display tires (super hard!!) oh and would i be correct in assuming it has steel disks?

iceracer
iceracer

Hi!
former owner did the ferrari paint , simply course he liked it!..
-Calipers are on the way..
and the tires need to be replaced even when they look great!,,...but that way into the future!..

Caito
Caito

That's teasing!!! We want more pics!
Come back 747, we miss you!!

iceracer
iceracer

richard_leeds wrote:Why would someone paint a non-Ferrari in Ferrari colours????

well, as said early in tread ,I will stick with this paint on!
-simply course it very good n former owner liked it!
and also there are a lot of legit of paint course the c16 run Ferrari engine and gearbox!..and Michael Schumacher did test runs on the C16..

ced381

Personally I prefer the genuine Sauber-Petronas livery, but it's your baby my friend. ;)
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'