Ideal karting seating position

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
lolzi
lolzi

Re: Ideal karting seating position

Well, you might not want to try to jump around in your seat, and it doesn't matter if you're looking for seconds a lap, but if you look at the world championship level drivers, they do try to push their weight a little more to the rear under braking, and they seem to be very conscious of the fact that they have to keep their weight stable in the corners. You sometimes hear racing instructors complaining that kart drivers know nothing about weight shifting because a kart has no suspension, but shifting your weight is an essential part to kart driving.

N12ck

I race in junior tkm, I've been in karting for 3 years now and I can categorically tell you shifting your weight is not essential to karting although im not disputing certain weight shifts may be helpful, leaning outside of corners does gain you small amounts of time but when i say small amounts its less than a 10th, due to being able to corner more effectively (lifting a wheel), however moving your weight around is not essential, my friend who is the championship leader in junior TKM does not shift his weight at all and hes winning the championship at the moment, so I can tell you, you are wrong, it may be helpful leaning to the outside of corners slightly, but it is not essential at all.

Sources:
Championship Leader in Junior TKM.
Myself who has been karting for 3 years.
Budding F1 Engineer

lolzi
lolzi

N12ck wrote:I race in junior tkm, I've been in karting for 3 years now and I can categorically tell you shifting your weight is not essential to karting although im not disputing certain weight shifts may be helpful, leaning outside of corners does gain you small amounts of time but when i say small amounts its less than a 10th, due to being able to corner more effectively (lifting a wheel), however moving your weight around is not essential, my friend who is the championship leader in junior TKM does not shift his weight at all and hes winning the championship at the moment, so I can tell you, you are wrong, it may be helpful leaning to the outside of corners slightly, but it is not essential at all.

Sources:
Championship Leader in Junior TKM.
Myself who has been karting for 3 years.
Oh, so the TKM's have diff's now do they? And by "weight shifting", I'm also referring to lack of it, which would mean not jerking around in your seat, which WILL upset the kart and make you slow. But I'm sure you know this, it's probably just my way of saying it that's unclear.

garygph
garygph

N12ck makes a lot of sense and especially his advice to an indoor novice karter is spot on in my opinion. Get the basics spot on consistently then maybe experiment. I have seen too many drivers trying to get the car to make up for their driving errors with some "magic" trick. As for the seat we tried a new seat design when I cracked some ribs and wanted to drive. Any karter will know that the current seats support you on the ribs so it is rather painfull. We made a seat that supported the shoulders to try and help. My kart developed severe oversteer and there was no remedy. What had happened is the leverage to lift the inside wheel had become to great and therefore the oversteer. Another reason for mentioning this is the advice and queries re lifting the inside wheel all supposes that the kart was suffering from mild to severe understeer. :) maybe they have oversteer and that would be aggravated.

And when all else fails go for another run!! :D

cars raced include: 125 max, FF, Sportscars.

N12ck

I stated in earlier posts that differentials arent present in karts, which is why i stated earlier you need to lift the inside wheel, but what I was saying is leaning forward and backwards, is not essential, infact you dont even lean much when you go round a corner if at all, the kart naturally flexes and does not need driver movement (leaning) to flex when going round as corner, and garygph I agree completely, even when you try to lean the supports dig you in the ribs :lol: and you have very limited movement, what class of kart did you drive? 8)
Budding F1 Engineer