Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Renault R31

This safety talk is all about one's position along a gray scale.

Look at the Renault picture above. How many hours has this view been in front of the Renault engineers and/or mechanics? No one suggested that this MIGHT be a dumb place for the pressure vessel? They made a risk assessment and kept it there. These people showed poor judgement... on who's scale are we judging?

Yes, I drove my own creations, but now my son does the driving as he is faster. My position on the safety spectrum has not change just because he is in the car. When he is at the track, he is the driver and treated as such, just part of a complex system.

Just so I can gage how rational you guys are about this safety vs performance subject: What is your judgement on Colin Chapman? Where is he on your safety scales?

Brian
Last edited by hardingfv32 on 08 Aug 2011, 22:50, edited 4 times in total.

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Some hi-res pics of the Renaults fire...

Richard
Richard

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Yes it does look silly to put a pressurised container so close to the exhaust, but that location is probably cooler than if it was in the engine bay.

Yes it does look silly to not have a release value to safely discharge excess pressure. They are standard issue for pressurised systems, perhaps there was one but it failed. I'm sure they'll correct that detail for the next race.

We have to bear in mind these cars are prototypes. That pit stop was probably the first time that car had been stationary at high revs for so long. They don't have the opportunity to stress test them in all conditions. Even when road cars have been extensively tested, they can still burst into flames due to poor design of a seemingly minor detail.

HampusA

That livery with those tires are just wonderful to look at, love the contrast.
The truth will come out...

PlatinumZealot

It's Fabulous!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Fil

richard_leeds wrote:That pit stop was probably the first time that car had been stationary at high revs for so long.
Wasn't it quoted at being about 4sec held at high revs?
At race start, how long do they hold their revs for when waiting for the red lights to go out?

This was going to happen in this race anyway, the exhaust was already in a state of fatal failure. The pitstop was merely the straw that broke the camel's back.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

raymondu999

The race start procedure calls for about 13000 revs. Apparently Heidfeld was holding it at top revs at 18,000
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bill shoe
bill shoe

Good question about keeping exhuast cool on the starting grid. I think it's common for cars to start the formation lap with dry ice in the tops of the sidepods. This ice melts and somehow cools the radiators as needed until the race/airflow start. The current cars all have small sidepods and tightly packaged exhaust so I will guess they have similar dry ice systems for some kind of exhaust cooling.

Obviously, by the first pitstop, any ice would be gone and the temp just spikes until airflow resumes.

If Renault's form keeps slipping then they will have a shorter wait from the time they hit their grid spot until the race starts :P

Byronrhys

raymondu999 wrote:The race start procedure calls for about 13000 revs. Apparently Heidfeld was holding it at top revs at 18,000
Can you even rev to 18,000 with the pit limiter on?

Fil

raymondu999 wrote:The race start procedure calls for about 13000 revs. Apparently Heidfeld was holding it at top revs at 18,000
You're claiming they need more revs to leave the pits than they do for the race start? :?

For some reason, i would assume it would be the same procedure. But surely not 5,000rpm different?
bill shoe wrote:Good question about keeping exhuast cool on the starting grid. I think it's common for cars to start the formation lap with dry ice in the tops of the sidepods.
Is this still allowed? They definitely drop ignition to 4 cylinders for this reason. I haven't seen footage of loose dry ice in the sidepods for a while now.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

raymondu999

I have no idea why Heidi was doing that, but Boullier implied he was bouncing off the limiter.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

HampusA

He could have hit the gas to early while up in the air.
It´s delicate enough to stand in pits waiting for green light to come on or stand on the grid on front row waiting for backmarkers to position themselves.

Hitting the gas a few seconds early in pits could probably cause massive overheating.
The truth will come out...

marekk
marekk

I've watched this several times and didn't see nick doing something wrong. Maybe just a second to early on the throttle.

Eric blames nick, but in my opinion it was renault's new engine mapping going wrong.

As soon as nick leaves the pits, there is nice strong flame going out of the right side exhaust for 1-2 sec, probably due to unburnt fuel deposits in exhaust pipe.
Have no picture at hand, but as soon as nick leaves the pit lane and starts to accelerate, left bank of cylinders wakes up and produces even more flames and smoke on the left side of the car - for the same reason.

If it's true, this shows some potential danger of the design - if they have some fuel deposits in exhaust during pit stops AND some cracks in the pipe, they introduce fuel's vapor to the sidepods - can be even explosive.

Donuts

Qualifying 2011:

Australia, 1.718 s off the pace.
Malaysia, 1.254 s off the pace.
China, 1,443 s off the pace.
Turkey, 1.247 s off the pace.
Spain, 1.490 s off the pace.
Monaco, 2.259 s off the pace.
Canada, 1.048 s off the pace.
Spain, 1.806 s off the pace.
England, 2.335 s off the pace.