Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Donuts

Re: Renault R31

They took a chance with the FEE and it did'nt work, looking at the qualification times right from the start. :?:

We should see more testing off the "BEE" soon I think. :?:
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

raymondu999

I think that it's quite unfair to compare times like that due to different lap lengths. percentages should be a better compare. For example you'd rather be 1 second off at Spa (1:46-1:47) than 8 tenths off at Monaco (1:13 lap)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Donuts

raymondu999 wrote:I think that it's quite unfair to compare times like that due to different lap lengths. percentages should be a better compare. For example you'd rather be 1 second off at Spa (1:46-1:47) than 8 tenths off at Monaco (1:13 lap)
I'dont understad your reasoning, why would you be better off with one second at Spa then zero point eight seconds at Monaco? Well maybe if every other circuit on the calendar has the characteristics of Spa! Dont' forget characteristics of car and circuit that come into the equation.

Take a look at the times(Monaco) I posted above. #-o

I am not comparing any times(beacuse you can't), it just shows that they have not been that good at all on any circuit.

To get an accurate percentage on gain or loss of performance by looking at time, they'd have to race on the same circuit all year long.

Since downforce is the issue most of the time, does anyone have the R31's apex speed(high speed corners) on all circuits(that have high speed corners). Would this be a correct measurement of the development/setback?
The mind of Alain Prost.

raymondu999

Right; take this for example. If you were 1 second off at Spa, vs 1 second off at Monaco, you'd rather be 1 second off at Spa.

That 1 second came from a longer lap, versus the shorter lap of monaco. 1s over Spa means you're losing about 0.14s per km (very rough calculation) while 1s behind in Monaco means you're 0.3s slower per km.

You're slower per normalized distance. I'm not sure if that's been said very clearly lol. maybe someone else who understands what I'm on about can explain better.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gridwalker
gridwalker

I think that makes perfect sense Ray; this is why I hate the way that teams tend to talk about gaining tenths without qualifying their statements with a specified distance (though even that is meaningless without considering other factors, such as turn radius and gradients).
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Donuts

raymondu999 wrote:Right; take this for example. If you were 1 second off at Spa, vs 1 second off at Monaco, you'd rather be 1 second off at Spa.

That 1 second came from a longer lap, versus the shorter lap of monaco. 1s over Spa means you're losing about 0.14s per km (very rough calculation) while 1s behind in Monaco means you're 0.3s slower per km.

You're slower per normalized distance. I'm not sure if that's been said very clearly lol. maybe someone else who understands what I'm on about can explain better.
What you ar saying is obvious. That's not what I was asking. You were talking about a comparison(I did'nt mention it) of the R31 on different circuit. E.g. maybe the car is just fast at Spa beacuse the characterisctics suite it or the opposite for Monaco. I don't know if you understand me or if I have missunderstood you... mindboggling... I'll figure out a way to explain it...
The mind of Alain Prost.

ringo

Autosport:
Renault is set to stick with its innovative forward-facing exhaust system for the rest of the season.

The team ran an experimental rear-facing exhaust in both straightline tests and on Nick Heidfeld's car during free practice for the German Grand Prix in July.

But team principal Eric Boullier is confident that there is still more performance to come from its regular design, meaning that the team is likely to continue to use it rather than switching to a more orthodox concept.

"We believe that we still have potential on the forward exhaust even though we have made some wrong developments sometimes," Boullier told AUTOSPORT. "There are some good performance packages coming.

"So we will continue with it and it's likely that we will use it to the end of the season."

The rear-facing exhaust was developed because of the ban on off-throttle blowing of diffusers, which was introduced for Silverstone but then abandoned.

The team opted to try the rear-facing system on track to evaluate its potential, but has continued to work on its forward-facing design throughout this process.

"We spent a lot of time during the engine mapping discussions developing the rearward exhaust," said Boullier. "But at the same time we finished our windtunnel upgrade and kept developing our front exhaust."

Renault has struggled in recent races, but the team is confident that forthcoming upgrade packages will allow it to climb back up the grid.
There is room for exploitation. I am expecting a weirder looking front floor, multi element front winglets, new splitter and other typical upgrade parts.

They should be able to knock down mercedes if the car has more potential.
For Sure!!

Carlo's
Carlo's

Allison:
Like everyone, we will have a low downforce package (little front and rear wings). We will also bring upgraded bodywork, which hopefully will help us build on the gains we made at Spa.
We have an upgrade package to deliver for Monza and then one more at Singapore. After that it will reduce to a trickle as we focus all of our efforts on next year.

Carlo's
Carlo's

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

R31 Chassis History Update:

R31-01 History:
Kubica: Valencia Test
Petrov: Valencia Test, Jerez Test, Barcelona #1 Test, Barcelona #2 Test, CHI
Heidfeld: Jerez Test, Barcelona #1 Test, Barcelona #2 Test
Senna: Jerez Test, BEL

R31-02 History:
No History At Present (Posibly Unbuilt T car or chassis used for crash test, or the car they use for straightline testing only)

R31-03 History:
Petrov: AUS, MAL, TUR, ESP, MON
(Chassis survived a 75G lateral load nose first into ground at Malasia from Petrovs Accedent, written off as of Monaco as front suspension penetrated monocoque in lap 67 accedent)

R31-04 History:
Heidfeld: MAL, CHI, TUR, ESP, MON, CAN, EUR, GBR, GER, HUN
Senna: HUN FP1
(Chassis has gone on fire twice now, and as for Hungary fire, chassis written off)

R31-05 History:
Petrov: CAN, EUR, GBR, GER, HUN, BEL, ITA

R31-06 History:
Senna: ITA
(NEW CHASSIS FOR ITALY)

Id recon that the R31 will be used as 05 for Petrov and 06 for Senna for the rest of they year with 01 being used as the un built T Car for the remainder of the season as they have 2 tubs written off unless they bring out 02 for racing.

marcush.
marcush.

I would appreciate if valuable statistical data does find its way into the header
of the car threads as they become available .

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

If Tomba or whoever wants, they can put the chassis data into the car summaries on the front page.

Ive just done the Renault powered teams today, Mercedes powered to follow.

HungryHebbo
HungryHebbo

I apologise in advance for the sheer size of this post, but you all might find it quite useful! A friend of mine managed to get a tour around the Renault factory whilst they were preparing for Monza, some awesome close up pics in here.

Also, ESP, it should be clear as to what chassis #2 is doing from this lot :D

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Looks as if it was being used as the Crash Test mule. Also the car you saw is the R30 with DDD, Push Rod rear suspension and no FEE. Cool otherwise, would love to know what chassis that is.

Id like to do a factory tour sometime, maybe next year now.

ringo

These shots are great.
For Sure!!