Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Renault R31

it´s mold No 2 ,obviously not the chassis itself.

But you can see a lot in this picture...for example the shape of the fuel tank .

most interestingly the parting lines of the mold but also :

The Renault chassis outer shell seems to be produced in one shot ,no gluing of upper and lower halves...

Maybe that has to do with the designation mold 2 ,eg .producing a inner shell ,laying up a syntactic film putting the core on followed by another syntactic expanding film and put this inside the ready laid up skin inside the mold of the second mold (representing the outer skin)?That would be deliver a really nice and light production method.

PlatinumZealot

I have always maintained that The R30 was triple deck. you can see in the pics those "periscopes" that come from the floor behind the engine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mith

Wow, that were some great photos!

Carlo's
Carlo's

@AlanPermane
More goodies for Singapore. Completely new front wing and bodywork package The factory is still pushing hard!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

n smikle wrote:I have always maintained that The R30 was triple deck. you can see in the pics those "periscopes" that come from the floor behind the engine.
Yeah in the second half of the season it was, infact you can see the 2 different spec diffusers on those images.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

dren

Renault is claiming at least a 2 tenths gain in Singapore with new upgrades. I don't know how much closer this will get them.
Honda!

raymondu999

I hate it when teams quantify upgrades by time deltas. Something worth 2 tenths in Spa won't be 2 tenths in Monaco. I think this race shouldn't be too bad for Renault. They were quite good in Valencia IIRC
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gridwalker
gridwalker

Ditto : I'd rather know a little bit of information about what the upgrades DO, rather than a meaningless figure that is as variable as it is relative ...
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

dren

I think it's a floor. They are claiming that the new floor will require a new set-up configuration. They are not sure how much the new set-up direction will help them. The way Renault has been with upgrades this year, it may or may not help.
Honda!

ringo

What's new on the car?
For Sure!!

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:I hate it when teams quantify upgrades by time deltas. Something worth 2 tenths in Spa won't be 2 tenths in Monaco. I think this race shouldn't be too bad for Renault. They were quite good in Valencia IIRC
I think that as often as they test at catalunya, they use it when they give these "it's worth 2 tenths" crap.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

Apparently their upgrade overheated their car so they're abandoning the upgrade package they brought
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Donuts

AUTOSPORT wrote:Renault has decided to abandon its latest upgrade for the remainder of the Singapore Grand Prix weekend after suffering overheating problems in first practice.

Vitaly Petrov was scheduled to try out the revised tighter bodywork and sidepods during the opening day of action in Singapore, but a radiator problem experienced early on forced a change of plan.

The team made a swift call to revert to the standard specification bodywork so as not to lose further running time, and it hopes to have the developments ready to work properly for the next race in Japan.

"We lost P1 because we decided to change the problem quickly as we would not have made P2," Petrov told AUTOSPORT. "We cannot risk running it tomorrow because there is no time.

"Losing P1 at this circuit it is quite a disaster because here you find a lot of time by driving and learning, so I think we will not be super quick here on this circuit but we will be in Suzuka. You never know, though."

Team principal Eric Boullier remained optimistic that tweaks to the updates will ensure it is working more effectively at Suzuka, where the team is pinning a good step forward in form.

"It was not the upgrade itself that did not work, it was more something wrong with the water flow for the radiators," he explained. "It was something more mechanical inside and obviously because you cannot test it, and we could not take the risk to miss P2, we decided to go back to the standard package.

"But of course we will work on it and try and get it back on the car for Suzuka."

With the update expected to bring a few tenths of a second per lap to the car, Boullier admitted that the setback had further dampened the team's already low expectations for this weekend.

"We know that we suffer a lot on the slow track layouts, so we know we will be suffering here, and James [Allison] warned everybody about that. It will be better in Japan and Korea, we know this."
Last edited by Steven on 24 Sep 2011, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added copyright notice
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

govind112

This cars turned out to be a turd, as i knew from the beginning... Big ambitions with a lack of funding is not always going to be a fail.
Doing It Again 2014

nacho
nacho

What a weird season this car has got. Started out as fast and has seriously been outdeveloped by others. FFE also seems to require a higher speed to sufficiently assist to generate downforce than the other exhaust solutions, unless they somehow lost the mechanic grip magic they had in previous years.