RIP Marco Simoncelli

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
gridwalker
gridwalker

Re: RIP Marco Simoncelli

Alas, this is the kind of fatality that I don't think can be prevented (short of banning bike racing) : no matter how good your safety gear is, having a pair of bikes hit your head and spine at that speed is always going to do some significant damage.

He was going to have some major head trauma regardless of whether his helmet came off. Paralysis was probably the best case scenario ...

I have friends who knew Marco personally, so my thoughts will be with them tonight.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

He made too many mistakes and it bit him.

Brian

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

That was the first thing to come to my mind as well but I suppose that occasions like this deserve [more] tact and respect.

Meanwhile, this means that Gresini will have two new riders next year. Aoyama is off to World Superbikes.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

timd
timd

I agree he did always take his chances and it bit him.

You have to say its very unlucky to get double hit like that. The helmet comeing off might not even have made much diference in the end. Such big trauma the body cant get out of shock.

RIP. Very sad.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

The reason I provide no respect: He is dead and gone. He is not effect by anyone or thing now. He is in the past, history.

He deserves no tact because he could have just as well killed his best friend and one of the greatest riders of all time. Now Rossi has to live with running over his best friend. His mistakes always seemed to draw in others.

Brian

akh270
akh270

hardingfv32 wrote:The reason I provide no respect: He is dead and gone. He is not effect by anyone or thing now. He is in the past, history.

He deserves no tact because he could have just as well killed his best friend and one of the greatest riders of all time. Now Rossi has to live with running over his best friend. His mistakes always seemed to draw in others.

Brian
Are you for real?! :wtf:

On topic, some nice words from Luca DiMontezemolo:

"I am very sad to hear of the death of Marco Simoncelli. I was very impressed by his speed, talent and the determination he showed this year. His qualities reminded me of Gilles Villeneuve and now, fate has chosen to link them in this tragic fashion. On behalf of everyone at Ferrari, I offer all our condolences to Marco's family for their loss."

I thought that was pretty cool of him.

Long time viewer of this forum, first time poster.

Ray

hardingfv32 wrote:The reason I provide no respect: He is dead and gone. He is not effect by anyone or thing now. He is in the past, history.

Brian
I'm sure you'll get no respect around here after that, you certainly won't get any from me after that heartless and cruel statement. Apparently you have no one that cares whether you live or die, but I'd guess 99% pf people do. Mistake or not, he didn't deserve what happened because of a mistake. He died under circumstances that couldn't be avoided by the riders behind him. Have a nice time on the forums, doubt you'll get anywhere with your callous attitude on life though. Especially on a racing forum.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Brian
Why post this?

Your reasoning of him being dead shows no humanity. I find your post offensive as this here is about showing respect. Either you show that respect or you shut up.
More could have been done.
David Purley

DoctorKH
DoctorKH

Brian
I can't believe the disrespect of people!!! You probably sit in your cubicle making decisions that have no consequences of life and death. I enjoy watching all forms of motorsports and hate to see any tragic accident. My wife and I watch F1 and GP Moto religously and we were both in tears. I pray for the family and friends of Marco. I would hope you would to. ....
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 24 Oct 2011, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed offensive remarks. please be polite to EVERYONE

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Everyone has a different point of view guys, so if there is someone you don't agree with please respond respectfully. There's no sense in bickering and being immature about it.

The thread is for remembering Simoncelli.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

DoctorKH
DoctorKH

mx_tifosi wrote:Everyone has a different point of view guys, so if there is someone you don't agree with please respond respectfully. There's no sense in bickering and being immature about it.

The thread is for remembering Simoncelli.
I'm sorry I will be more respectful of others with my response. I let my emotions go. Tough couple of weeks in motorsports. :(

munudeges
munudeges

hardingfv32 wrote:He made too many mistakes and it bit him.
Alas, it had to be said. Maybe he could get away with some of the things he did racing cars, but not one bikes. The risks are always going to be there. A lesson for all up and coming riders I think.

jdlive
jdlive

Saw it live and seeing him lie there face down on the tarmac with his arms in an unnatural position, you knew he was dead on impact.

RIP Marco.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

strad

Very Sad
My Condolences to his family and friends. It is a great loss
R.I.P. Marco
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

chrys
chrys