Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Ferrari F2012

I think a more pressing question is; what happens to this air as it is heated? What can you possibly do with this? Are trying to channel this air as a nozzle? Are you trying to increase the pressure inside the chassis? If the latter it makes a bit of sense, because the heated air will increase the pressure of whatever volume you flow through the chassis. This means that the interiors of the sidepod tunnels, and their exits can play a big role in defining the overall pressure differential on the chassis.

It's really an incredible challenge, to create the effect of a wing with the sidepod and air intake tunnels, and whatever other orifice is allowed to flow air through the vehicle.

The RB7 channeled the cooling air, and then expanded it upwards, it's effect being somewhat of a wing, I expect Ferrari are doing their best to run with that idea. Trying to push the envelope on packaging.
Saishū kōnā

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

wesley123 wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Read a little back in this thread. We discussed it earlier. Some suggestions is that Ferrari have developed a new coating material unlike zircotec. This could perhaps be a material with very high thermal cunductivity???
So I am looking for a material better than say copper? We do have to channel water through the substrate, correct?

Seems odd that we would not see something in the computer chip cooling field first. I doubt Ferrari has the same research budgets of the chip or computer manufactures?

Brian
excuse me but in what way is an heat-sink(like in computer/cpu cooling) even possible?

Apart from that, as in computer cooling water-cooling beats air-cooling by far. And guess what, the radiators of the engines are filled with fluid.
I do not understand the point of your statement. I thought that we looking for a 'material with very high thermal conductivity'. My point is that the computer industry would be way out front on this type of research.

Brian

Hemsy
Hemsy

So I am looking for a material better than say copper? We do have to channel water through the substrate, correct?

Seems odd that we would not see something in the computer chip cooling field first. I doubt Ferrari has the same research budgets of the chip or computer manufactures?

Brian[/quote]

excuse me but in what way is an heat-sink(like in computer/cpu cooling) even possible?

Apart from that, as in computer cooling water-cooling beats air-cooling by far. And guess what, the radiators of the engines are filled with fluid.[/quote]

I do not understand the point of your statement. I thought that we looking for a 'material with very high thermal conductivity'. My point is that the computer industry would be way out front on this type of research.

Brian[/quote]

The computer industry doesn't have to deal with the kind of temperatures that a Formula 1 car is subject to. Also the in the computer industry they are interested in dissipating heat and not redirecting or transferring it.

Holm86

That is the problem zirotech is isolation material, maybe ferrari just use this name to confuse the other teams?
Thats why i wrote UNLIKE zircotec.

Theres alot of materials allready discovered that could work in computers. Problem with computer chips is to get it to work at such small sizes.

Diamonds has extremely good heat transportation abilitys. Graphen as well. Perhaps they have found a way to use a coating that resembles those. And yes i believe in some sort of heatsink that dosnt use water.

Holm86

wesley123 wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Read a little back in this thread. We discussed it earlier. Some suggestions is that Ferrari have developed a new coating material unlike zircotec. This could perhaps be a material with very high thermal cunductivity???

Brian
excuse me but in what way is an heatsink(like in computer/cpu cooling) even possible?

Apart from that, as in computer cooling watercooling beats aircooling by far. And guess waht, the radiators of the engines are filled with fluid.

Yes watercooling is more effective. But you also need a big radiator tower if you want effective watercooling right? Im sure you could reduce the size of that tower if you had a heatsink hybrid as well. But aircooling in computers is not attractive because of the noise. So in F1 you could in theory reduce the size of the radiators if you could make some sort of heat sink in the floor as well?

MIKEY_!

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

Using the ballast as a heat sink perhaps?

wesley123
wesley123

that sounds decent, but wouldnt this be illegal?

I personally think they could disallow it based on that when something gets heated the molecules move apart(or shrink in I have completely forgotten what i learned a tschool) thus they effectively move from position, and movable ballast is disallowed.

The floor on the other hand, with the coating etc. I would say it loses at least some strength, cannot be good
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

wesley123 wrote:that sounds decent, but wouldnt this be illegal?

I personally think they could disallow it based on that when something gets heated the molecules move apart(or shrink in I have completely forgotten what i learned a tschool) thus they effectively move from position, and movable ballast is disallowed.

The floor on the other hand, with the coating etc. I would say it loses at least some strength, cannot be good
First of all I don't think engineers is going to risk to apply the shrinkable or expandable parts due to heat as it is way too inconsistent and hard to control and get it right as the aero property of the car changes as the surrounding temperature changes this concept make even it more complicated indeed impossible to get the right aero balance

munudeges
munudeges

If any of these wild rumours have some truth I don't see how what they're doing is going to work. The cooling of Formula 1 cars has always been an evolutionary process. When people try and work revolutions things go very wrong. Trying to then transfer and use that heat......I just don't see it.

aral
aral

munudeges wrote:If any of these wild rumours have some truth I don't see how what they're doing is going to work. The cooling of Formula 1 cars has always been an evolutionary process. When people try and work revolutions things go very wrong. Trying to then transfer and use that heat......I just don't see it.
These are all just speculation by the 'designer engineers' on the forum. I would be confident that whatever cooling Ferrari comes up with, if different to normal rads., will be fully researched and tested.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

News from Twitter
From Jose Luis:
Pat Fry seems to have discovered the solution to the balance of 663, have tried some modifications to the front wing and engine cover
The result seems to have been good in the tunnel and simulations, so the production of parts pass immediately
Byrne's new fund, is in 'queue' for the other parts test more urgent, but next week could already know something
Alonso is optimistic about the way the 663 is the Pirelli and the new way of driving, concerned about the reliability
The relationship between Alonso and Pat Fry is so good and strong already in Maranello jokingly says Andrea Stella is 'jealous'

marcush.
marcush.

using ballast as heatsink cum aircooled fins was discussed almost half a year ago already..

If you think about it ,with a mandated engine weight of 95kg you carry already some sort of ballast as the 3.5litre engines of the past had that sort of weight figures already.So that extra weight could and should do some work if it has to be there ,especially when your cofG height is also specified in the rules and you can´t just use it for lowering your masses...so why not have cooling ribs on your engine..but then the engines are fixed so we will see this only with the new v6 engines...

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

MIKEY_!

I would tell you that's a great help but unfortunately I don't speak Italian :lol:

Something about using pull-rod suspension like Red-Bull and being in a position to challenge Mclaren?

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

theres one of these every year for ferrari lol