Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AbulafiaF1
AbulafiaF1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

n smikle wrote:Very clever abulafia.
It is indeed a very elegant solution, however please don't give credit to me. As I said, it's a friend's work... ;)

There are some other small issues with the design, but nothing major that can't be detailed and sorted out. Do you think Mercedes guys are reading this forum as we speak...? :wtf:

raymondu999

I wouldn't be surprised if they were to be honest. F1T often draws attention from the technical members of the paddock. Sometimes they go on the forums too and post. *cough*Goony!*cough* :mrgreen:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

AbulafiaF1 wrote:
n smikle wrote:Very clever abulafia.
It is indeed a very elegant solution, however please don't give credit to me. As I said, it's a friend's work... ;)

There are some other small issues with the design, but nothing major that can't be detailed and sorted out. Do you think Mercedes guys are reading this forum as we speak...? :wtf:
I'll post it on twitter to a few people who work at Merc if u like?

AbulafiaF1
AbulafiaF1

Sure, why not... Tks! :D

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

It will be great if merc really apply this concept maybe during the in season test?

PlatinumZealot

Don't forget redBull! lol.. The leading teams might have had these things for years and we don't even know it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

raymondu999

How many of these hardware innovations last long before discovery though? The McLaren fiddle brake, the mass damper, the McLaren torque control lever...
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

raymondu999 wrote:How many of these hardware innovations last long before discovery though? The McLaren fiddle brake, the mass damper, the McLaren torque control lever...
Not sure what you are talking about. It was not a secret, and basically a simpler version was raced already last year, its not illegal.

jav
jav

gilgen wrote:
xpensive wrote:
xpensive wrote:Mercury for hydraulic fluid?

Mercury have a density of 13.5 (hydraulic oil about 0.88), which within a 2.5 meter long line from rear to front would create a pressure of 13.5 Bar under 4g deceleration. If this pressure would affect an 80 mm diameter hydraulic cylinder it would create 6800 N (680 kg) of force, probably enough to lift the suspension on each front wheel to raise the nose.

So if that's what it was all about, clever, no wonder they wanted to spend time on it, such a shame if it was banned?
Myself, I hope to see something like the above, at least I'm sure they were toying with it, perhaps banned now?
Anyway, an inactive member has done an outstanding job developing the concept, working both front and rear actually.
Bearing in mind that the Lotus ride height system has been banned, citing article 10.2.1 and 10.2.3, what is different to this system that is no different. If Merc put all their eggs in one basked with this idea, they will be in deep trouble.
Not that the FIA couldn't determine otherwise, they used mulitple reasons (and singled out Renault and the Ferrari systems) principly for 3.15 violation and then further supported the ban using 10.2.1 & 3.

3.15 seems to be the univeral scape goat-which I frankly think is being abused by the FIA. They seem to apply that more so for convenience than logic and it seems nothing is concretely immune.

As to the 10.2.. regs- I would think this "type" of system is sufficiently different to the ones banned as parts that didn't previously "adjust or move" - do not move or adjust now. I understood the objection and ban to relate to the brake calipers "torsional movement" used to create hydraulic pressure that
"lengthened a suspension member" (push rod got longer to raise nose despite wieght shifts tendendy to compress the suspension). It "seems" to me that this hydraulic system is not really new and more immune to those crtiticisms... but what do I know?

Raptor22
Raptor22

gilgen wrote:

The FIA have ruled that any device that changes the length of the suspension, is in breach of the regs. Not the aero regs, but the suspension regs.
So if the Merc system is designed to lift or lower the suspension at any point, it is illegal.
an interconnected system does not change the length of the suspension, it merely creates a hydraulic anti drive system without altering the damping.
The same effect can be created by a piston madeof very dense metal, not necessarily mercury hydraulic fluid.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Raptor22 wrote:
gilgen wrote:

The FIA have ruled that any device that changes the length of the suspension, is in breach of the regs. Not the aero regs, but the suspension regs.
So if the Merc system is designed to lift or lower the suspension at any point, it is illegal.
an interconnected system does not change the length of the suspension, it merely creates a hydraulic anti drive system without altering the damping.
The same effect can be created by a piston madeof very dense metal, not necessarily mercury hydraulic fluid.
oooo.. this is gonna be a MASSIVE talking point! BRILLIANT! can't wait! :D

beelsebob
beelsebob

Raptor22 wrote:
gilgen wrote:The FIA have ruled that any device that changes the length of the suspension, is in breach of the regs. Not the aero regs, but the suspension regs.
Wouldn't both these systems violate:
4.2 Weight distribution :
For 2012 and 2013 only, the weight applied on the front and rear wheels must not be less than 291kg and 342kg respectively at all times during the qualifying practice session.
I guess you could use a suitably small amount of mercury/suitibly small piston, but then it wouldn't be able to exhert much force on the suspension to alter it's characteristics.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Beelsebob

How can they test this when the car is in motion?
The same way Red Bull circumvented 3.15 with its flexing wings whilst the car is in motion, the wings pass the test as specified by the FIA(ie not in motion).

So while the car is static it will pass the tests, but the moment G force is applied the system starts to work.
More could have been done.
David Purley

beelsebob
beelsebob

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Beelsebob

The same way Red Bull circumvented 3.15 with its flexing wings whilst the car is in motion, the wings pass the test as specified by the FIA(ie not in motion).

So while the car is static it will pass the tests, but the moment G force is applied the system starts to work.
Good question, though I'm sure with enough imagination we could figure out a suitable test.

Bit of a crazy one, but... hang the car from it's tail, use a ram to push the car into scales, and check the weight distribution.
Last edited by beelsebob on 26 Jan 2012, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Beelsebob

Looks like Ross and co have found a MASSIVE loophole