Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

shelly wrote:Piola has suggested that f2012 / f12 will have front pull rods.
Many doubt about that, because with current nose height the angles for the pull are not workable.

If low nose and/or chassis double keels extensions are not viable paths, what about a wheel hub that extends up and inward (a rule that casually has been clarified for 2012) to provide an unusual upper mounting point for the pull?

Aero influence in that zone should be minimal; structure and weight seem the biggest issue
I think the FIA may have a safety concern with that. Despite the wheel tethers being strong enough to hold the wheels in th most violent impact, have a protruding suspensio mounting stickig out a few inches si going incur the wrath of Charlie. Senna was killed by a suspension component so I don;t think the FIA is gong to allow that solution.

the issue I have with pull rods is theat the rocker and damper assembly still has to be mounted somewhere. Hanging cheeks is not going to stiff enough to tranfer damper and spring load through especialy if they are also running front rear interlinked suspension.

italian
italian

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

shelly
shelly

Raptor22 wrote:
shelly wrote:Piola has suggested that f2012 / f12 will have front pull rods.
Many doubt about that, because with current nose height the angles for the pull are not workable.

If low nose and/or chassis double keels extensions are not viable paths, what about a wheel hub that extends up and inward (a rule that casually has been clarified for 2012) to provide an unusual upper mounting point for the pull?

Aero influence in that zone should be minimal; structure and weight seem the biggest issue
I think the FIA may have a safety concern with that. Despite the wheel tethers being strong enough to hold the wheels in th most violent impact, have a protruding suspensio mounting stickig out a few inches si going incur the wrath of Charlie. Senna was killed by a suspension component so I don;t think the FIA is gong to allow that solution.

the issue I have with pull rods is theat the rocker and damper assembly still has to be mounted somewhere. Hanging cheeks is not going to stiff enough to tranfer damper and spring load through especialy if they are also running front rear interlinked suspension.
Agree with your points. As for positioning of rockers, being chassis extensions not stiff enough, what about an arrangement that somehow mirrors what is seen on rb7 at the rear, with the pull rod attachment very far back on the tub ( as it's very forward at the rear)?
That would allow for the necssary pull angle without much change in the tub shape, as the tub as to taper linearly frm one bulkehad to the other iirc
twitter: @armchair_aero

PlatinumZealot

The face of the bulkhead, where the suspension parts are mounted, must be ahead of the pedal box as a safety feature. It means you will always end up with a low underside if you use the conventional pull rod and rocker trying to "catch" the links.

A special kind of rocker has to be used to keep the underside high and the bulkhead ahead of the pedal box.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

shelly
shelly

So you are saying that the rules prevent attaching the rockers to the driver wheel bulkhead under the drivers legs?
twitter: @armchair_aero

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Tozza Mazza

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Big rumors ..
Joseluisf1

There are still some McLaren engineers that it would sign, including Tim Goss and Neil Oatley, especially the latter;)
And José Luis said Magnetti Marelli created a brand new KERS for Ferrari, they think it's the best KERS.

bhall
bhall

(EDIT: I made absolutely no attempt to scale those images properly.)

PlatinumZealot

Platypus nose.. I can sorta make it out.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

bhall
bhall

The more I look at the pictures, the more I think they're both of the same car. Of course, I absolutely hate making any sort of speculation based upon CGIs.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

It's the F150 Italia. With a big box over it. You can tell if you adjust the brightness.

bhall
bhall

That's the rear wing.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

bhallg2k wrote:That's the rear wing.
It's a poorly cut out image which is why you can't see under the rear wing.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

raymondu999

Lorenzo_Bandini wrote:Big rumors ..
Joseluisf1

There are still some McLaren engineers that it would sign, including Tim Goss and Neil Oatley, especially the latter;)
And José Luis said Magnetti Marelli created a brand new KERS for Ferrari, they think it's the best KERS.
Goss and Oatley?! :shock: Those are pretty big name signings if that's true.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法