Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

What is the context of the rules that allows this?

Brian

beelsebob
beelsebob

To mandate the maximum height of the nose:
3.7.9 No bodywork situated more than 1950mm forward of rear face of the cockpit entry template may be more than 550mm above the reference plane.
To mandate the minimum height under the nose:
All bodywork situated forward of a point lying 330mm behind the front wheel centre line, and more than 250mm from the car centre line, must be no less than 75mm and no more than 275mm above the reference plane.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

The "La Gazzetta dello Sport" is reporting the new Ferrari F2012 uses advanced materials which makes it difficult to make. The same that twitter sources have been saying for months.

It started the countdown for the launch of the new Ferrari, scheduled for 3 febbrraio, which could also be called F2012, referring to an old tradition. The mechanics soon begin to mount the second sample (the award was used with the crash tests): the use of innovative materials makes it a little 'difficult to set up. Snow Permet-tend, the red should already run at Fiorano on Friday afternoon and Saturday morning, with the dual aim of understanding where to place the 7 pounds of ballast available to the pilot and refine the position in view of the first real tests that will start in Jerez (Spain) on 7 with Felipe Massa at the wheel.

Forza

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The "La Gazzetta dello Sport" is reporting the new Ferrari F2012 uses advanced materials which makes it difficult to make. The same that twitter sources have been saying for months.
Those materials could benefit them in long term when production setles down.

Inside view of Ferrari engine testing facilities. I didn't want to open new thread so I placed photos here.

Last edited by Forza on 30 Jan 2012, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

snorri788
snorri788

Forza wrote:
Inside view of Ferrari engine testing facilities. I didn't want to open new thread so I placed photos here.
Nice photos!

Could these new materials be a specific "weave" of carbon fibre designed to give better flexing for the front wing? It was rumoured that this was how Red Bull were achieving the flex.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

snorri788 wrote:
Forza wrote:
Nice photos!

Could these new materials be a specific "weave" of carbon fibre designed to give better flexing for the front wing? It was rumoured that this was how Red Bull were achieving the flex.
The materials rumored have to do with the floor of the car to the best of my knowledge as well as a new modified suspension by ex McLaren employee Jonathan Heal.

Forza

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
snorri788 wrote:
Forza wrote:
Nice photos!

The materials rumored have to do with the floor of the car to the best of my knowledge as well as a new modified suspension by ex McLaren employee Jonathan Heal.
And heat resistant materials I'm not mistaken.

snorri788
snorri788

Forza wrote:
And heat resistant materials I'm not mistaken.
Maybe remnants of the technology in the "octopus"?

F1.Ru

Cant wait to see F2012.................. #-o
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

scarbs
scarbs

Forza wrote: And heat resistant materials I'm not mistaken.
Heat 'dispersant' from what I hear, its being use to cool the car.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I belive that one of the Dyno chassis Ferrari use is 277, the one that got trashed when Massa got hit with the 3rd of Rubens car.

But that could have changed now to a more modren one from last year.

Richard
Richard

F1.Ru wrote:Cant wait to see F2012.................. #-o
Why the #-o ?

italian
italian

scarbs wrote:
Forza wrote: And heat resistant materials I'm not mistaken.
Heat 'dispersant' from what I hear, its being use to cool the car.
I'm looking for what materials they're using but I haven't found anything so far.
Have you got any ideas?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

shelly
shelly

It could be for example an hybrid composite made out of carbon and metal wire; but I am a bit on the scifi side again

IIRC pagani zonda uses an hybrid titanium carbon composite, but with different purposes.
twitter: @armchair_aero

bjpower
bjpower

shelly wrote:It could be for example an hybrid composite made out of carbon and metal wire; but I am a bit on the scifi side again

IIRC pagani zonda uses an hybrid titanium carbon composite, but with different purposes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbotanium

lol