Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CmdrVOODOO

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Ferrari F2012 nose

I'm surprised to see formula1.com showing the 2012 Ferrari in its example of cars having the 625mm to 550mm stepped nose, when the reports we've seen have said the new Ferrari has a "lower seating" position.

"La Gazzetta dello Sport, meanwhile, said the 2012 Ferrari has "long, low and narrow" radiators and sidepods, with a lower seating position for the drivers."

I was expecting to see a lower overall profile similar to last year's McLaren. Am I misinterpreting what a lower seating would do to the profile or did they miss that report that we all saw? Maybe they're just basing it on the Ferrari being "not pretty".

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Formula1.com uses a Ferrari for all of it's technical examples with regards to rule changes. I would take this with a pinch of salt, it's not guaranteed that this will be what the F2012(?) will look like.

CmdrVOODOO

ajdavison2 wrote:Formula1.com uses a Ferrari for all of it's technical examples with regards to rule changes. I would take this with a pinch of salt, it's not guaranteed that this will be what the F2012(?) will look like.
:lol: Yes, they certainly have used Ferrari in a lot of their technical examples over the years even when they have nothing to do with Ferrari specifically.

I realize they're speculating, but it seemed odd to speculate that the Ferrari would look at all similar to the Caterham when it's been reported that the nose (obviously - do to the regulation changes) and seating position is supposedly lower.

I'm just trying to imagine how you'd see over the 625mm nose bump if they lowered the seating position.

When I heard that Ferrari lowered the seating position I felt certain that this car would have to be a fairly radical overhaul rather than an evolution of the F150. Seems to me, the teams that are merely evolving their cars from 2011 would be the ones more likely to have the stepped noses.

beelsebob
beelsebob

CmdrVOODOO wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:Formula1.com uses a Ferrari for all of it's technical examples with regards to rule changes. I would take this with a pinch of salt, it's not guaranteed that this will be what the F2012(?) will look like.
:lol: Yes, they certainly have used Ferrari in a lot of their technical examples over the years even when they have nothing to do with Ferrari specifically.

I realize they're speculating, but it seemed odd to speculate that the Ferrari would look at all similar to the Caterham when it's been reported that the nose (obviously - do to the regulation changes) and seating position is supposedly lower.

I'm just trying to imagine how you'd see over the 625mm nose bump if they lowered the seating position.

When I heard that Ferrari lowered the seating position I felt certain that this car would have to be a fairly radical overhaul rather than an evolution of the F150. Seems to me, the teams that are merely evolving their cars from 2011 would be the ones more likely to have the stepped noses.
I struggle to see how the seating position could be lower – the seat is typically roughly all the separates a driver's arse and the road... I can imagine it being more reclined though.

CmdrVOODOO

beelsebob wrote:
CmdrVOODOO wrote:

I struggle to see how the seating position could be lower – the seat is typically roughly all the separates a driver's arse and the road... I can imagine it being more reclined though.
I suppose that's what they mean by "lower". I know that the McLaren's entire front end was lower than pretty much all the other cars last year (it pretty much was already within the new regulations). I'm not sure how they achieve that, but I suppose it could be a slightly more reclined position... or maybe their legs will be lower, or a combination of both.

PlatinumZealot

beelsebob wrote:
CmdrVOODOO wrote:

They had raised the seating positin for 2011. it was so high the drivers looked like they were in an arm chair. So I think they are changing back to a more normal position.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Afterburner

What about COG? This year it's "free" unlike last year, can it radically change this year car due to that? I'm thinking about fuel tank, kers batteries and radiators mainly.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Afterburner wrote:What about COG? This year it's "free" unlike last year, can it radically change this year car due to that? I'm thinking about fuel tank, kers batteries and radiators mainly.
Incorrect, mandatory weight distribution was again enforced for the 2012 season
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

ringo

the tub is on the computer screen on the top left!

someone enhance!

For Sure!!

Gridlock

I was going to say that, then I talked myself out of it, and now I'm back to thinking that the tub does look like its got quite pronounced lips on the edges of the bulkhead at the top, a la RB5 or CT01. So maybe, maybe not.

PlatinumZealot

Right click view Image - ENHANCE!! (control + mouse wheel)

I see the nose! it's a crocodile nose!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

I tried my best with what was available at work.

theres not a lot to be definitive about

EDIT:

just ran it through some advanced technical programs

one things definitive, that is most definitly a bird blown diffuser
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

JapanTifosi

this

different from F150 sidepod

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

It's looks like an F10 ?

HungryHebbo
HungryHebbo

Robbobnob, I actually Lol'd.