Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

n smikle wrote:
ForMuLaOne wrote:10.2.2 Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any part of the suspension system is forbidden.

System not powered.

10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to the suspension system while the car is in motion.

We discussed that point, normal dampers already use devices that change damprates.

10.1.2, "The suspension system must be so arranged that its response results only from changes in load applied to the wheels.

Every change in velocity (acceleration, deceleration), every inertia effect has it`s cause, and at the same time it`s effect in changes in load applied to the wheels.

I n smikles example the response comes from a change of load direction apllied to the wheel.

I really cannot see how there is any argument left to call this system illegal.
Nope. In my example the change comes from gravity. the wheel loads change as a result. If you put the car backwards on the slope the back will begin lift up.
Where does your example take place? In a dimension where a car in free fall has a weight? Gravity changes NOTHING if the car was just rolling. You want to fix it by braking, then you have to live with the response of the suspension caused by the changing forces you have when the car is braked and the surface angle is changed. And to point it out ONCE again: Whenever you brake a car, the first thing that changes the whole system is the change of load applied to the wheel. There will never be a reaction of a mass inside the car BEFORE the load applied to the wheel has changed.

bhall
bhall

ForMuLaOne wrote:10.1.2, "The suspension system must be so arranged that its response results only from changes in load applied to the wheels.

Every change in velocity (acceleration, deceleration), every inertia effect has it`s cause, and at the same time it`s effect in changes in load applied to the wheels.
True. But, that's so fundamental of any wheeled suspension that unless the FIA is guarding against the introduction of a suspension that uses adaptable levitation and is powered by honesty, there's no reason to write that rule. That's why I don't think we're interpreting it correctly here.

I read the regulations like a series of ever-tightening concentric circles that, save for those concerning dimensions, enumerate what a team cannot do and leave unsaid all of the things a team can do. Active suspensions are explicitly banned by 10.2.2. The Lotus fluid inerter is banned by 10.2.3 in addition to the well-known prohibition of any non-DRS moveable aero, much like Renault's mass damper a few years ago. What possibilities exist for this rule's existence then if it's not meant to prohibit the system that we've been bickering about?

I think one thing is clear, and it's that these regulations leave a lot to be desired with regard to clarity. But, I also think that if put to the test by a rival team seeking a clarification, the loophole of ambiguity will be closed and this system will not be allowed.

atanatizante

Since this thread is about pre-launch speculations I`ll sum up some rumors on other forums regarding novelties on W03:
1. Sidepods will be curved and also have a very slope angle (side viewing):
a) to maintain a clean path of the airflow to the beam wing;
b) to create DF as near as possible to the CoG;
c) this arrangement is design bearing in mind the crash structure requirements.
2. Air intakes will be very low, very small in width but also very wide and practically has the same width like the floor does. This low position benefits from the clean air which is channeled via the fins under the FW and also from the barge boards under the nose.
3. The lower side of the air intake has a curved shape, in order to channel and accelerate the airflow like STR did last year with their double floor.
4. There are no air box intake over the driver`s head because they will reinstate their blade roll hoop. The air box intake will be splitted in two channels which goes on each side of the driver`s cell of survival. They are starting from the sidepods air intake level and go around the back of the driver towards the engine.
5. They will blow the fins placed on the rear break ducts.
6. The exhausts covers and the rear wing will have a linear connection. These exhaust covers are angled like RB6 nose fins, in order to divert the airflow towards both ends of the rear wing.
7. Last but not least, they will have a legal RRH system :D
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

PlatinumZealot

ForMuLaOne wrote: Where does your example take place? In a dimension where a car in free fall has a weight?
It takes place on slop in our dimension. And Objects in free fall do have weight!
Gravity changes NOTHING if the car was just rolling.
Gravity and elevation. Have you ever used a spirit level? tilt it around and the bubble rises to the highest point and the liquid goes to the lowest. The same happens to the oil and mercury in the system. I hope you get that part.

You want to fix it by braking, then you have to live with the response of the suspension caused by the changing forces you have when the car is braked and the surface angle is changed. And to point it out ONCE again: Whenever you brake a car, the first thing that changes the whole system is the change of load applied to the wheel. There will never be a reaction of a mass inside the car BEFORE the load applied to the wheel has changed.
This doesn't change anything I said. Time doesn't matter. I gave an Isolated case to show that the system is sensitive to gravitational potential difference. You have to prove to me that it is not. If you place the car on a slope suspension in rest position then release it the suspension front suspension will continue to rise until it reaches an equilibrium.

Let's do some math...

Design requirement:

A system that keeps the front wing 40mm off the ground when the car is braking at 5g.

Currently without any system the nose goes 15mm to the ground.

Front suspension load under braking at 5g= 3500N weight trans + 5000N downforce = 8500 Newtons.

Lets say spring rate is 140N/mm total both sides

The mercury system must give a force of 3500N to "lift" the wing to be 40mm above the ground.

This means the system is actually very powerful. Let us isolate the influence from the rear axle and assume the system is 100% inertial first.

The force from the piston should be linearly proportional to the acceleration of the fluid then. DetlatRho * g * LENGTH * piston area.

It can be deduced that on a vertical slope you get 1g. 20% of 3500N required. That is 700N load. Turn the car vertical and the front will "lift" 5mm.
On a 5 degree slope you get 63 Newtons unbalance NET force at the suspension.

Seems small.. but it is still an unbalance. The front suspension will accelerate upwards at this rate until the spring forces balance it. This will level out at about 0.5mm suspension travel.

This is just a conservative down force value and front axle load. But If change a few values above the suspension movement due to gravitational potential difference will increase - could be as high as 3mm maybe 5mm? depending on how the system is set and how steep the slope.

The point is.. the system like ANY INERTIAL system.. is affected by orientation.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

n smikle wrote: It takes place on slop in our dimension. And Objects in free fall do have weight!
I really do have to leave you alone at this point. Objects of any mass are in a state of weightlessness when in free fall ( excluding aero effects: vacuum)

n smikle wrote:Gravity and elevation. Have you ever used a spirit level? tilt it around and the bubble rises to the highest point and the liquid goes to the lowest. The same happens to the oil and mercury in the system. I hope you get that part.
I get you there, can really tell that my spirit is at a high, because of your arguments. Throw your spirit level high up in the sky, and, as it comes back to you in free fall watch the bubble beeing in the middle, all surrounded by liquid. As if it was weightless.
n smikle wrote: This doesn't change anything I said. Time doesn't matter. I gave an Isolated case to show that the system is sensitive to gravitational potential difference. You have to prove to me that it is not.
Your potential difference the system is sensitive to is CAUSED by the car that does not follow the very same potential by rolling away. But because it is BRAKED, the mercury can WORK, can apply FORCE. Time does always matter when you talk about work in physics.
Last edited by ForMuLaOne on 01 Feb 2012, 04:58, edited 3 times in total.

PlatinumZealot

ForMuLaOne wrote:
n smikle wrote: It takes place on slop in our dimension. And Objects in free fall do have weight!
I really do have to leave you alone at this point. Objects of any mass are in a state of weightlessness when in free fall ( excluding aero effects: vacuum)

n smikle wrote:Gravity and elevation. Have you ever used a spirit level? tilt it around and the bubble rises to the highest point and the liquid goes to the lowest. The same happens to the oil and mercury in the system. I hope you get that part.
I get you there, can really tell that my spirit is at a high, because of your arguments. Throw your spirit level high up in the sky, and, as it comes back to you in free fall watch the bubble beeing in the middle, all surrounded by liquid. As if it was weightless.[/quote]

You need to refresh your mind on what weight means. Terminal velocity only give a feeling of weightlessness but you are still in a gravitational field so you still have weight.

I should be the one leaving you for making such a rookie mistake. Your credibility has dropped a few levels. haha
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

bhall
bhall

20+ pages of RRH. Eat your heart out, Rain Man!

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

jav wrote: I agree with the first line but not with the use of the underlined word "total". Also disagree with the chassis statement. Individual wheel loads change with and without the mercury system. "Total" loads are always the same as long as mass and acceleration are the same.
I need a clear understanding of what is happening with the Total individual wheel loads when related to this discussion. I use the word Total to avoid any discussion of what loads might be considered part of the Total. Just trying to keep this part simple.

In my test example, ALL thinks are exactly the same during a braking test. For one brake test the mercury system is functional, the system's slave cylinders moving, and in a second brake test, the system in not functional (but still in place), the system's slave cylinders DO NOT move. It is my CLAIM that the loads measured at a wheel, in the same location/corner, will be the same value in both tests.

Agree or disagree? IF you disagree what is the cause of your proposed difference in wheel loads in these highly controlled tests? Remember, all things are equal except the functionality of the mercury system during these tests.

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

bhallg2k wrote:One of the key points for those who contend that this system is legal is the fact that all loads, in some form or another, are applied to the wheels. And that's fair enough. I just wonder why it would require a mention in the rules if it's given that wheeled suspensions behave that way. It strikes me as being tantamount to an unnecessary rule that states something to the effect of, "all cars must race on track."

Or am I missing some obscure non-powered, passive system that somehow takes the wheels out of the equation? I'm open to that possibility.
1) This rule is forward looking. It is written to prevent the use of force generating mechanism that did not exist when the rule was written. They were smart enough to know that they can not know what is not known at the time the rule was written.

2) Off coarse it is my contention that the mercury system provides a source of force that has no relationship to the loads at the wheels.

Brian

Raptor22
Raptor22

n smikle wrote:
ForMuLaOne wrote:

I get you there, can really tell that my spirit is at a high, because of your arguments. Throw your spirit level high up in the sky, and, as it comes back to you in free fall watch the bubble beeing in the middle, all surrounded by liquid. As if it was weightless.
You need to refresh your mind on what weight means. Terminal velocity only give a feeling of weightlessness but you are still in a gravitational field so you still have weight.

I should be the one leaving you for making such a rookie mistake. Your credibility has dropped a few levels. haha[/quote]

In free fall you do not have weight, but do still have mass. You only have weight when you have the potential to be accelerated at 1G. To test this jump out of a plane ( I would advise the use of a parachute ) with a scale in hand. On the way down stand on the scale and see if it reads anything.
No only have weight when there is a reaction. Your mass however remains where you left it.

Smikle, when you park you vehicle on a steep slope does it squat at the rear?

Mine does not.
The reason is that since the fluid is contained within a vessel under pressure, there is now fluid flow to allow the damper piston to move.
Until the car is placed in an orientation whereby the line of action of the weight acting through the tyres contact patch induces a torque sufficient to overcome the friction in the damper the piston remains at its rest position.

Now if a hooligan comes past and pushes down on the suspension, yes it will squat.
In your example you continuously assume a frcitionless piston under no pressure.

Something like my chums Citroen will squat at the rear because its suspension is pressurised externally by a pump. The SACHS dampers in my Golf are pressurised internally and have a platformed shim stack that is piston velocity sensitive. The Citroens is a simple fluid damper arrangement driven by fluid pressure.

You merely cite an example that suits your POV, and not a realistic example.

Why is this system not in violation of 10.1.2? Because it is designed to not violate the rule. The system responds to wheel loads and has sufficient platform to prevent fluid flow at inclinations that could reasonably be expected in a homologation test. Whether or not movement can be induced by a fancy combobulatron is irrelevant because ANY suspension will see movement at a present level of orientation induced load.
The policing of rules involves wording but there is also the "reasonable" aspect that is taken into account.
Reasonable means that the scrutineers accept that pistons and hydraulics involved in the suspension working are part of the system. They consider an outside, engine or electrically driven pump to be an external force and "Powered". Ask Charlie to explain this to you. He will sit you down somewhere quiet and go over the rules that relates to your question and provide his interpretation.

I and other have covered that over and over. If you and others chose not to see it then I see no point in further participation in this discussion. Its not a discussion any longer but a deliberate attempt to incite and maintain an arguement.

Example:
ForMuLaOne wrote: "You want to fix it by braking, then you have to live with the response of the suspension caused by the changing forces you have when the car is braked and the surface angle is changed. And to point it out ONCE again: Whenever you brake a car, the first thing that changes the whole system is the change of load applied to the wheel. There will never be a reaction of a mass inside the car BEFORE the load applied to the wheel has changed.

YOu Respond: "This doesn't change anything I said. Time doesn't matter. I gave an Isolated case to show that the system is sensitive to gravitational potential difference. You have to prove to me that it is not. If you place the car on a slope suspension in rest position then release it the suspension front suspension will continue to rise until it reaches an equilibrium.

So you load the dice in a direction that suits having an argument and not reading what he said.
Any suspension is potentially susceptible to gravitational potential. But the sensitivity is DESIGNED OUT. In this design, load threshold and Time are factors but you choose to ignore that because it suits having a revolving argument.

That's called trolling. Its a real shame that this forum has been allowed to be degraded to this level

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

^ now thats a rant. amirite
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Raptor22 wrote: Whether or not movement can be induced by a fancy combobulatron is irrelevant because ANY suspension will see movement at a present level of orientation induced load.

Reasonable means that the scrutineers accept that pistons and hydraulics involved in the suspension working are part of the system. They consider an outside, engine or electrically driven pump to be an external force and "Powered". Ask Charlie to explain this to you. He will sit you down somewhere quiet and go over the rules that relates to your question and provide his interpretation.
1) It is very relevant if the actions of the combobulatron have no relation to the wheel loads, as it is in this case.

2) It is your assumption that 'Powered' to be 'an outside, engine or electrically driven pump to be an external force'. There is no basis for that assumption or even precedent. The mercury system is powered by the mercury column. Is it your position that this is not a power source?

Brian

bhall
bhall

hardingfv32 wrote:1) This rule [10.1.2] is forward looking. It is written to prevent the use of force generating mechanism that did not exist when the rule was written. They were smart enough to know that they can not know what is not known at the time the rule was written.
I couldn't agree more. And I believe we're discussing that very mechanism.

My view is that the power for this system originated from the engine which imparts momentum on the mercury.
It's application is separated from the braking event by time.

Now, you can use that to justify either side of the argument:

The system is powered by the engine, the engine applies force first to the gearbox which is a sprung part of the car, not the wheels, ergo a suspension system that reacts to it is not legal.
(the trouble being that unless you eliminate squat on acceleration, all suspension can be declared illegal)

The action of the system is not directly coupled to the engine power, which does eventually act upon the wheels via the transmission anyway & is only transferred when the braking event again ultimately acting at the wheels causes the car to slow faster than through a change in velocity.

There's a paradox in the latter too statement though; if the engine power is separated from the system, might one considered the force applied at the wheel recipes also?

I think its comes down to judging degrees of seperation and the FIA could justify banning it, but they may not.

Another paradox with rule 10.1.2 is that if you try to counteract suspension action caused by Aero force or engine power, to meet the rule, how can you do this without braking another?
( e.g. power suspension, infinite rigidity i.e. no suspension or moveable Aero)
Last edited by avatar on 01 Feb 2012, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.

Gridlock

So can a plane take off from a treadmill or not? :roll:

Seriously though, this is all Ross Brawn's fault. Just show us already!