Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

+1

I certainly hope Mercedes will not have that ugly nosejob we have seen on a lot of cars now...Ferrari being the worst example...

and I´m pretty sure they will still have the shortest cars in the field .

My idea is they have packed everything kers between engine and gearbox freeing up flow by extending the fuel tank down to the plank and slimming the crossection of the tub considerably.

Raptor22
Raptor22

If we consider that the short wheelbase of W02 was a result of not designing the car to exploit EBD to the fullest (not sure how they missed that trick), I tend to agree that they will remain with a relatively short car. Maybe not as short as W02 but probably still the shortest car on the grid.
Having a short floor works best for a non blown diffuser.

Then add in their Mercury suspension and could have the most technically interesting car on the grid in 2012

gato azul
gato azul

hardingfv32 wrote: Can you describe a situation when, using your interpretation, that something might be found in breach of the 10.1.2?
Brian
How about moving an permanent magnet, towards or away from a damper filled with
an magneto-rheological fluid, based on an predefined "map"?
This does not need to involve electronics, think about a mechanical watch?
This would not involve "power", but would affect the response of the damper (a part of the suspension system) in a way, that does not need a change in wheel loads to trigger it.

swanracing
swanracing

How much lower do the noses need to be now when compared to the bgp-01 nose. Could merc use a similar nose to mclaren

Raptor22
Raptor22

you would need to mention that its a free moving magnet, without any "threshold" that needs to be met before it moves.

Raptor22
Raptor22

swanracing wrote:How much lower do the noses need to be now when compared to the bgp-01 nose. Could merc use a similar nose to mclaren

If they adopt an overall lower chassis, then Yes!

gato azul
gato azul

hardingfv32 wrote: Any wheel load changes in this example an the RESULT of aero drag. The fact that the wheel loads change does not make the system legal under this section.
Brian
Not quite, the wheel loads change as a result of the change in downforce, and the drag change is a result of the change in downforce.
We talk about a wing, not a parachute.
DRS is not a parachute, it´s an device which changes the amount of downforce the rear wing produces, and as a result of the change in downforce (lift) it changes
the amount of drag it produces.
You have perhaps your cause and effect, the wrong way round.

gato azul
gato azul

Raptor22 wrote:you would need to mention that its a free moving magnet, without any "threshold" that needs to be met before it moves.
I thought, saying on a predefined "map", would make this clear.
As in coming by the damper, every x seconds.

Raptor22
Raptor22

gato azul wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:you would need to mention that its a free moving magnet, without any "threshold" that needs to be met before it moves.
I thought, saying on a predefined "map", would make this clear.
As in coming by the damper, every x seconds.

Indeed but when dealing with people for other universes we should be very specific because as you have already read, changes in downforce do not effect a change in wheel load....

I don't know where you get the patience but I'm impressed

gato azul
gato azul

hardingfv32 wrote: YES, YES this is how the rule should be interpreted. Aero drag is the 'source' in this latest discussion, not the wheel. The wheels are possibly effected, but that is not required for the system to activate. This is how the 10.1.2 should be applied.
Says who ?? - You?
What makes "your" interpretation better then anyone else´s one-on here?

I take it, that "your" interpretation would ban any response to downforce and weight as well, as none of the two originates at the wheel.
The wheels are just "possibly effected" by them. Which would ban about any system currently in use.

If the FIA is so death serious about this, why not ban every car, because temperature has a far greater effect on any suspension currently used, then DRS has on the Mercury system.
And why, if they are really out to ban things like inertia valves in centre dampers, are they not put the word "vertical" before wheel loads in 10.1.2. - makes you wonder - NO?

gato azul
gato azul

Raptor22 wrote: I don't know where you get the patience but I'm impressed
Thanks !
Having kids helps, I suppose.

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

I like the article:

http://abulafiaf1.wordpress.com/2012/02 ... on-part-a/

Knowing that the author participated in this discussion in this forum it is a bad sad to me that he calls forum members self proclaimed experts. I can understand his impression though. Nonetheless this is a technical forum and we discuss technical processes while crosschecking them with rules. Of course it has no relevance for FIA what we think. But there are many aspects we discussed who are simply right. You don`t need to be an expert for this. This is what i would like to proclaim.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

gato azul wrote:How about moving an permanent magnet, towards or away from a damper filled with an magneto-rheological fluid, based on an predefined "map"?
No, this is not valid. The magnet requires a force to move it closer to the damper. This force will also change the wheel loads.

You CAN NOT state a form of movement that does not effect the load on the wheels. This is the validity test of your interpretation of this 10.1.2.

Brian

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

It seems like this forum has focus too much on the suspension and I'm starting to get sick of it why are we still discussing on concept that will be easily banned by the FIA and I'm almost sure that the new Mercedes won't feature such radical concept

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

NonNewtonic wrote:It seems like this forum has focus too much on the suspension and I'm starting to get sick of it why are we still discussing on concept that will be easily banned by the FIA and I'm almost sure that the new Mercedes won't feature such radical concept
+1 Unfortunately this suspension discussion will go on until the launch of the car, shame on Mercedes to launch it so late :cry:
After the launch there will be 2-5 pages on the design, after that the suspension talk will rise again :(

Anyway, lets see how ugly this car will be, right now its Ferrari on the top spot, but I guess Mercedes will beat them easily in ugliness,like the years before...

I have a little hope that they can make a beautiful car like the BGP001 [-o<