Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr.S
Mr.S

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Mr.S wrote:Ideally, the correlation is good and your car is a goer. If not, as Ferrari found this year, very small differences can put you on the back foot." [/b]
2011?
Probably Just quoting what James said. Nothing more to say. Bold part is mine as you can obviously understand

atanatizante

Did anybody saw how Mercedes behaved today under HEAVY BRAKING? It dives much or has a neutral response?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

xpensive
xpensive

atanatizante wrote:Did anybody saw how Mercedes behaved today under HEAVY BRAKING? It dives much or has a neutral response?
Flat and stable as Ayers Rock, just as predicted. Or perhaps the Tafelberg, now that I think about it.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

pocketmoon

Schumi today : "I am confident we can do that, but let's take it step by step. We work longer on our car, but if this was the only secret we should have shown all the cars later."

What do you think he meant by that ?:) To me that suggests there IS another reason for holding back...

Ferraripilot

pocketmoon wrote:Schumi today : "I am confident we can do that, but let's take it step by step. We work longer on our car, but if this was the only secret we should have shown all the cars later."

What do you think he meant by that ?:) To me that suggests there IS another reason for holding back...

I'm not reading into it too much. I believe we can take that at face value in that Mercedes simply wanted a couple more weeks to crank the car out and then bring a full package to Barcelona to test rather than what they did last year which was in essence trickling out bits here and there until Oz.

ced381

So are they really using EBD? This photo suggests something different..

'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Gridlock

I love this time of year =D> =D> =D>

So did MSC set his time on a car running EBD or not?

Metalrulz
Metalrulz

ced381 wrote:So are they really using EBD? This photo suggests something different..

This could possibly be a pic from last years young driver test at ABU DHABI as at that test they ran the periscope exhaust... today's pics clearly show that mercedes ran the EBD...& yes MSC did set his time with an EBD car.

Schurcedes
Schurcedes

What's this I'm reading about a 'clever new front wing' for Mercedes that they wanted to hide from rivals until the second test?

yace

this pic is from abu dhabi young driver testings, you can see in the mirror the blue helmet of sam bird
ImageImageImage

Metalrulz
Metalrulz

Schurcedes It could possibly be the Front Wing F-Duct that the team tested at Suzuka (friday free pratice) last year ... whether or not it will make it on the W03 is to be seen.

Schurcedes
Schurcedes

Thanks! The front wing duct concept had completely slipped my mind.

Here is the quote from BBC's Lee McKenzie:
"As you know, Mercedes are the only top team here in Jerez who are running an old 2011 car. The word on the street is that the reason they are not here with a 2012 car is that they are trying to hide a clever new front wing they have developed - they don't want their rivals to see it too early. It seems the word is already out, though."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16941418

Admittedly not the most technical of sources, but if it's paddock rumour then it's something to go by.

pocketmoon

Schurcedes wrote:What's this I'm reading about a 'clever new front wing' for Mercedes that they wanted to hide from rivals until the second test?
"Word on the street..." BBC Pit-lane reporter. Probably just repeating what she's read here :lol:

I don't see why they would hide something like an f-duct - it has to be something that the top teams haven't considered.

Apologies for throwing these quotes out again but I'd rather have my head in the clouds for two more weeks and believe Schumi will have a chance of P1 again [-o<

"I cannot tell you what we're doing in there [wind tunnel] ... they have some crazy, crazy ideas" - a engineer giving a factory tour last summer.

"We're approaching a revolutionary increase in our understanding of what makes a fast racecar" - Geoff Willis (Mercedes AMG F1) , World Motorsport Symposium 2012

Schurcedes
Schurcedes

pocketmoon wrote:
"Word on the street..." BBC Pit-lane reporter. Probably just repeating what she's read here :lol:
Could be. :lol: Though after pages upon pages of the legendary mercury suspension I missed references to this rumour made earlier in the thread. Apologies if it's old 'news'!

Hail22

This video confirms that the Mercedes is using the EBD.

1:25

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdUgxRqC ... re=related[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve