Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Peetbeat wrote:maybe w02 was the best car :)? but nico and michael were not able to push the car hard to the limit ;) haha just joking

serious now, what about the car in the corner? does it looks like new suspension or not?
you're not far off with that theory.. i mean it showed Flashes of speed here and there last season..

stringy
stringy

Maybe it was just really hard to get the w02 in the sweet spot?
I was under the impression they were just comparing the 2012 tyres to last years, for data reasons. Its seems like they must be doing more than just that given how much running they've been doing.

Mr.S
Mr.S

The car was pretty much a DOG. Absolute disgrace considering it was occasionally beaten by Force India,Toro Rosso & Sauber on pure pace.

You see how much EBD does for you. Mercedes gained massively from EBD whatever they say. Regardless of their SWB Mercedes' hot blowing was superior to Ferrari's & far superior to Renault's cold blowing.

With so much downforce the whole balance of the car changes.Webber said he could do a high 1-16's which is like ALMOST 1 full second quicker than what Nico did. I think Seb could have maybe down a low 1-16 or a high 1-15.

Lets not forget there is no SET-up compromise here. In a race you have to have compromise between qualy & race set-ups. Here they can bang in anytime they want

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

the thing to note is that Schumi said yesterday about the 2012 tyres, they feel like "proper" f1 tyres.. more consistent, therefore more confidence to attack the track, regularly.
He also implied that the tires are now more suited to him: “They have changed quite a bit – they are lot more consistent, and a lot more close to let’s say a real F1 tire, what you would expect, what you’d wish to have. It’s certainly for a race driver much better.”

siskue2005

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:the thing to note is that Schumi said yesterday about the 2012 tyres, they feel like "proper" f1 tyres.. more consistent, therefore more confidence to attack the track, regularly.
He also implied that the tires are now more suited to him: “They have changed quite a bit – they are lot more consistent, and a lot more close to let’s say a real F1 tire, what you would expect, what you’d wish to have. It’s certainly for a race driver much better.”
That's by far the best news I have heard [-o< hope it's true and we can see the old Schumy

Ferraripilot

MercAMGF1Fans wrote:the thing to note is that Schumi said yesterday about the 2012 tyres, they feel like "proper" f1 tyres.. more consistent, therefore more confidence to attack the track, regularly.

His ultra-sharp front end driving style really needs a strong front tire.

If W03 is more than a half a second slower than W02 right now I will be seriously confused. W02 just isn't getting as much from the EBD as others. Without the EBD, W02 otherwise is an aerodynamically confused animal specifically at the sidepods. So a person believing a version of W02 with better sidepods, balance characteristics (CoG), suspension, would be as fast regardless of the EBD I don't believe is out of the realm of possible. W02 is such a compromise right now.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Mr.S wrote:The car was pretty much a DOG. Absolute disgrace considering it was occasionally beaten by Force India,Toro Rosso & Sauber on pure pace.

You see how much EBD does for you. Mercedes gained massively from EBD whatever they say. Regardless of their SWB Mercedes' hot blowing was superior to Ferrari's & far superior to Renault's cold blowing.

With so much downforce the whole balance of the car changes.Webber said he could do a high 1-16's which is like ALMOST 1 full second quicker than what Nico did. I think Seb could have maybe down a low 1-16 or a high 1-15.

Lets not forget there is no SET-up compromise here. In a race you have to have compromise between qualy & race set-ups. Here they can bang in anytime they want
Are you trying to confuse yourself, or you just arrived from an extended trip to the North Pole? Merc's EBD was the least effective on the grid.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

F-duct FW

via @amsonline

Mr.S
Mr.S

Schulteiss wrote:
Mr.S wrote:The car was pretty much a DOG. Absolute disgrace considering it was occasionally beaten by Force India,Toro Rosso & Sauber on pure pace.

Are you trying to confuse yourself, or you just arrived from an extended trip to the North Pole? Merc's EBD was the least effective on the grid.

Not really. Ferrari's was the worst in the grid because Ferrari exhaust blowing was pretty poor & add to it people overlook the fact that Ferrari's wheelbase was not too long either.

Yes Mercedes EBD was pretty average but Mercedes engine was the best when it come to engine mapping & off throttle blowing. Far superior to Ferrari & Renault

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:F-duct FW

via @amsonline
Can you explain why this an f-duct front wing? They ran a wing like this in races last year...

pascaljackson
pascaljackson

splitter in nosecone hole

volarchico
volarchico

Yeah, the driver cooling hole which has mysteriously turned into an F-duct FW intake since last year...guess anything is possible in F1.

Ferraripilot

pascaljackson wrote:splitter in nosecone hole

The splitter in the nosecone leads to air passages in the pylons which exit somewhere at the bottom of the wing. The idea is once the nose intake reaches a certain pressure that perhaps a switch in the pylon is activated which allows the air to exit the bottom of the wing thus 'stalling' the wing of its aerodynamic properties at that section of the wing seriously reducing drag thus aiding top speed.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

here's a little write up by yours truly
http://mercedesgp-fans.com/web/2012/02/ ... e-mgp-w02/

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Ferraripilot wrote:
pascaljackson wrote:splitter in nosecone hole

The splitter in the nosecone leads to air passages in the pylons which exit somewhere at the bottom of the wing. The idea is once the nose intake reaches a certain pressure that perhaps a switch in the pylon is activated which allows the air to exit the bottom of the wing thus 'stalling' the wing of its aerodynamic properties at that section of the wing seriously reducing drag thus aiding top speed.
Does anybody have any pictures of the underside of the wing? I can't imagine any kind of 'switch' built in to the nose would be legal, surely this thing would have to be passive?