Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

I think their main issue was the wide tank which robbed useful space of the radiators.the car simply was too fat in the rollhoop area .
As you cannot change the tub it did not make sense to stretch the wheelbase and so basically they were stuck with what they had and crucially could not add drag by cranking on some more wing ..maybe a function of the fat belly of the car .
it´s not for nothing Mercedes is not really developping much in terms of front wing over the last years...they have struggled to balance their front downforce with rear df..

Hopefully this is sorted and the extra length is used to carry KERS within the bellhousing and the packaging of the tank has led to a trimmed down waist...
I´m positive .I´m convinced W03 will excell on tracks where a stable aeroplatform is king and at least occasionally be a frontrunner.I remember all too well how Button raved about BGP001....and sure Schumi will deliver in similar fashion if things fall into place..

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

marcush. wrote:I think their main issue was the wide tank which robbed useful space of the radiators.the car simply was too fat in the rollhoop area .
As you cannot change the tub it did not make sense to stretch the wheelbase and so basically they were stuck with what they had and crucially could not add drag by cranking on some more wing ..maybe a function of the fat belly of the car .
it´s not for nothing Mercedes is not really developping much in terms of front wing over the last years...they have struggled to balance their front downforce with rear df..

Hopefully this is sorted and the extra length is used to carry KERS within the bellhousing and the packaging of the tank has led to a trimmed down waist...
I´m positive .I´m convinced W03 will excell on tracks where a stable aeroplatform is king and at least occasionally be a frontrunner.I remember all too well how Button raved about BGP001....and sure Schumi will deliver in similar fashion if things fall into place..
I think with the absence of radical blow mapping, they can go for a slightly smaller fuel tank, too, at least that is what I heard. Consumption will be considerably less, that can result in a slightly lower CoG in itself, so let's see what they come up with.

dren

I wonder if the tank size factored in the hot mapping to begin with. As marcush stated earlier in his theory of why Nico had better qualification pace, but had to dial the engine back to reserve fuel later in the race.
Honda!

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

dren wrote:I wonder if the tank size factored in the hot mapping to begin with. As marcush stated earlier in his theory of why Nico had better qualification pace, but had to dial the engine back to reserve fuel later in the race.
Based on Brawn's comments of the W02, they hardly had blow mapping and the increased consumption it induced in mind when they designed that car.

dren

That makes sense.

Expect a central cooling exit like the Red Bull, or something more along the lines of last year's car?
Honda!

Gridlock

I'm hoping it has a BGP001 nose - go with what you know? Even disguised as a liquorice allsort it looked better than the high nosed beasts of today. Slap a red 5 on it and it could almost pass for a proper racing car :D

I guess the lack of DDD might hurt my chances..

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

the low nose in the brawn wasn't for aero benefit, rather it enabled them to place ballast low down at the front of the car for optimal weight distribution. with mandated weight distribution continued for 2012 i doubt we will see this feature repeated.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Gridlock wrote:I'm hoping it has a BGP001 nose - go with what you know? Even disguised as a liquorice allsort it looked better than the high nosed beasts of today. Slap a red 5 on it and it could almost pass for a proper racing car :D

I guess the lack of DDD might hurt my chances..
The low bulkhead of the BGP001 might hurt your chances more. :) But I'm with you, that was a beautiful car.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

dren wrote:That makes sense.

Expect a central cooling exit like the Red Bull, or something more along the lines of last year's car?
No clue. What would be the benefit of that? I wonder if they will keep the double rad layout? I guess they had the benefit of watching out for anything beneficial for this year, though.

retpog55
retpog55

http://mercedesgp-fans.com/web/2012/02/ ... #more-1295

what do u think they mean by "shakedown of the new car is scheduled for wednesday" ???

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

retpog55 wrote:http://mercedesgp-fans.com/web/2012/02/ ... #more-1295

what do u think they mean by "shakedown of the new car is scheduled for wednesday" ???
Bild sport? First I thought highly doubtful, because I got used to thinking its still weeks till launch. But it's next week Tuesday. If they want to launch and roll out on the 21st in Barcelona, the shakedown in Rockwell before traveling to Spain makes sense. Closed doors though I think, if true. It's still Bild...

atanatizante

Every top team have shortened their wheelbase.
How do you think W03 wheelbase will be compared to W02?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Cocles

Longer than W02. Shorter than W01. Just a hunch.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Sounds about right. They seemed to imply that a slightly longer wheelbase would set the CoG right. But still a SWB.

ringo

atanatizante wrote:Every top team have shortened their wheelbase.
How do you think W03 wheelbase will be compared to W02?
Is that so?
You have the numbers?
For Sure!!