Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

McLaren I know have stayed with the same wheelbase for one, and IIRC the F2012 wheelbase is longer.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr.S
Mr.S

How can you say that?? Mclaren's wheelbase is a bit shorter. Atleast it seems to be from the naked eye.

Pictures aint enough with their improper scaling. Any figures,wheelbase looks definitely slightly shorter.

raymondu999

Mr.S wrote:How can you say that?? Mclaren's wheelbase is a bit shorter. Atleast it seems to be from the naked eye.
Paddy Lowe said on launch day the wheelbase is the exact same figure as the MP4-26
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Raptor22
Raptor22

wheel base and floor length are not directly related.

I thin what everyone is really interested in is howlong will the floors be since without Exhaust Energising parasitic drag becomes crutial to keeping the diffusor working across a wider airspeed range.

Coefficient
Coefficient

Robbobnob wrote:the low nose in the brawn wasn't for aero benefit, rather it enabled them to place ballast low down at the front of the car for optimal weight distribution. with mandated weight distribution continued for 2012 i doubt we will see this feature repeated.

It was actually for aero benefit too. Having the nose closer to the mandated central section of the wing has the effect of fooling the non aero profiled central section of the front wing into thinking it is indeed a wing by creating an area of high pressure between the front wing pylons thus yielding small downforce gain. Brawn had mastered this philisophy after first introducing it on the Ferarri in 2001 and refining it ever since.

After 2009 it was became irrelevant as the RB idea proved the way to go under the new regs but those regs have now changed and Mclaren clearly think they can make the low nose work again. Maybe Brawn will concur?
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Hemsy
Hemsy

Coefficient wrote:
Robbobnob wrote:the low nose in the brawn wasn't for aero benefit, rather it enabled them to place ballast low down at the front of the car for optimal weight distribution. with mandated weight distribution continued for 2012 i doubt we will see this feature repeated.

It was actually for aero benefit too. Having the nose closer to the mandated central section of the wing has the effect of fooling the non aero profiled central section of the front wing into thinking it is indeed a wing by creating an area of high pressure between the front wing pylons thus yielding small downforce gain. Brawn had mastered this philisophy after first introducing it on the Ferarri in 2001 and refining it ever since.

After 2009 it was became irrelevant as the RB idea proved the way to go under the new regs but those regs have now changed and Mclaren clearly think they can make the low nose work again. Maybe Brawn will concur?
Will indeed be very interesting to see which nose concept Mercedes go for. Every team bar Mclaren have gone for a high, stepped nose. I know that a high nose allows for more air to go to travel to underside of the car and eventually the diffuser. But what are the benefits of having a low nose? Lower COG? More downforce produced at the front as opposed to the rear?

xpensive
xpensive

The W03 will without a doubt be something sensational.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Mr.S
Mr.S

They will go for a HIGH nose. 100% sure. They abandoned the low nose concept to go for a SUPER high nose concept last year. They had the highest nose last year. Why should they change back now that everyone bar Mclaren has gone for the low nose.

The whole cooling outlet from the high nose is like another Front F-Duct or maybe they will feed some air to the diffuser. That has to be another trick from Newey.

Besides with all the RRH system using Hg being talked about why should they change the whole concept on the nose again. Especially considering that they tested the Front Wing F-duct with the high nose multiple times.

Peetbeat
Peetbeat

what about the f-duct, ....for example nico drives into a highspeed corner, and there is no pressure at the frontwing ! how they going to do this passiv system?? sry for my english=(

Joie de vivre

Is there any source that confirms that Mercedes is working on mercury system? Or is that only a speculation.

Mr.S
Mr.S

xpensive wrote:The W03 will without a doubt be something sensational.
You have gotta be kidding me. Weren't they supposed to sell the team this year according to you???

Talk about eating your own words...

raymondu999

They have to be sensational for the team to get buyers I guess? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

N12ck

How come for every post on the other car forums you get like 2 or 3 more on this one :lol: It happens every year :lol:

So the lineup so far for mercedes trickery is:
FW F-duct
Mecury Suspension,
High nose

I wonder maybe if they will go for a low nose after years of experience with low noses (last year was high,,, I know) , but that was 1 year, hmmm 8)
Budding F1 Engineer

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

N12ck wrote:How come for every post on the other car forums you get like 2 or 3 more on this one :lol: It happens every year :lol:

So the lineup so far for mercedes trickery is:
FW F-duct
Mecury Suspension,
High nose

I wonder maybe if they will go for a low nose after years of experience with low noses (last year was high,,, I know) , but that was 1 year, hmmm 8)
As someone has previously mentioned, this is the Lewis Hamilton of teams. There is always someone to fling mud around every corner, yet someone always defends them.

Following that it's the usual cyclical to-ing and fro-ing. I reckon only about 20% of the content in here is about the car.

It's a love-hate kind of thing. :wtf:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...