Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Anything can be copied.

The main thing is Mercedes had this idea floating way back last year and tested it in Oct 11, and have had a lead time of 4 to 6 months over the opposition.
Not only will it need to work effectively, the design will need to gel with the rest of the car, and advantage that Mercedes has over the rest.

I however wonder what the hole in Red Bulls snout is for. And wether they have managed to cotton on to Mercedes innovations as far back as oct 11.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Holm86

From the teaser pictures it seems as the nose is thinner. Not as wide as last years platapus.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Well JET I have already given my opinion on the RBR's vent,duct,hole in the break position of the nose. I refuse to believe it is only for Driver Cooling.

Anyways the thing is if you have Something which takes rivals 4-5 weeks to effectively copy then the Championship is probably in the bag. RBR showed that this time. For example if a New Car has a clear 3-4-5 tenths in the bag then they will GET a 1-2 unless someone screws up. 3rd place is 10 points behind.

And the way the field is stacked without EBD Many teams will be competing for 3rd. Ferrari if needed will use Massa to slow down others & give Alonso a place. By the 5th-6th place,The Leader will be already 50-60 points ahead & hard to catch.

RBR & Mclaren were on similar pace from China onwards,which was 4th or 5th odd race but Vettel's lead in the title was WAY too big to overcome.

Trocola
Trocola

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Cocles wrote:
Trocola wrote:Aldo Costa... is that the man ferrari sacked?
If you have to ask, then you probably haven't been following the changes Merc has made to their team since the development of the W02, and should therefore hold off on such sweeping predictions of woe.
If I have to explain an ironic question, it is not funny... In plain words: Ferrari fired Aldo Costa because he was useless.
Cocles wrote:This is the first year we'll finally see what most of us think of when we hear, "Mercedes Benz F1 works team". No shoe string budget, and an impressive braintrust.
That's exactly what I am saying. Last year it was the same: "forget the W01, the real deal is the W02". Now, the real deal is the W03 and, next year, the real deal will be the W04

Trocola

Mr.S
Mr.S

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Trocola wrote: If I have to explain an ironic question, it is not funny... In plain words: Ferrari fired Aldo Costa because he was useless.
I dont know if English is your primary language or not since the mods have told me to be sensitive in that respect. I would ask you to google up the meaning of the word useless before using arbitrarily & meaninglessly.

Aldo Costa gave Ferrari the FASTEST car in the 2nd half of the 2010 & Ferrari would have won WDC had it not for a pit stop blunder.

Even in 2011 without EBD Ferrari had the best car as Silverstone demonstrated. He had a Solid Hand Bryne's success.

He might not have beaten Newey but using the word is "Useless" is pretty much meaningless.
That's exactly what I am saying. Last year it was the same: "forget the W01, the real deal is the W02". Now, the real deal is the W03 and, next year, the real deal will be the W04
Obviously. They failed last year. There is no denying that. W02 was a failure by MERCEDES standards. But they have brought in Bell,Willis & Costa & have hired a lot of new guys.

Mercedes had 450 odd manpower when Ferrari had 700-800 odd manpower which they are supposed to scale down to a RRA level. This is ridiculous really. The team had no TD. You cant win with half the number & No TD.

That is not saying that W03 will be the REAL deal. We all hope so. But is it Absolutely Stupid to say it will be the same again. With the W04. For God's sake the car has not even been launched.

How can you make such ridiculous predictions without even seeing the new car??

Hail22

Lets all agree on something, Formula 1 belongs to manufacturers not drinks companies (Red Bull) or finance companies destroying the heritage of a legendary Formula 1 name (Lotus).

We just want to see this Ferrari, Silver Arrows, Mclaren, maybe the return of Alfa Romeo for 2014 (even though its majority owned by FIAT).

I'm a Ferrari fan but i want to see the Silver Arrows be a dominant figure in Formula 1 again, you love to hate the silver arrows but something about their old cars gives tingles to your spine, lets hope the W03 does not disappoint!
Last edited by Hail22 on 16 Feb 2012, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@Trocola

You made your opinion known. But this antagonism towards the team seems to me like your insecurities are manifesting themselves as pretty clear baiting.
Why lambast Costa? If he was useless, he wouldn't be in F1...nor would his name be attached to winning cars. And I don't think Brawn is in the business of employing useless people.

Wishing failure on a team can bring bad karma my friend, I'd be more concerned with the goings on of my own team before rubbishing another as crap.

@ Mr S

I reckon the RB8 scoop is there for more than just cooling purposes. As one engineer put it "if that is purely for driver cooling, Red Bull better be praying it doesnt rain at anyone of the races this season, as the drivers feet and legs will be soaked!"
More could have been done.
David Purley

jordangp

Hail22 wrote:Lets all agree on something, Formula 1 belongs to manufacturers not drinks companies (Red Bull) or finance companies destroying the heritage of a legendary Formula 1 name (Lotus).

We just want to see this Ferrari, Silver Arrows, Mclaren, Sauber, maybe the return of Alfa Romeo for 2014 (even though its majority owned by FIAT).
Hate to break it to you, but Sauber would be no more a manufacturer than Red Bull :wink:

Mr.S
Mr.S

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@Trocola

You made your opinion known. But this antagonism towards the team seems to me like your insecurities are manifesting themselves as pretty clear baiting.
Why lambast Costa? If he was useless, he wouldn't be in F1...nor would his name be attached to winning cars. And I don't think Brawn is in the business of employing useless people.

Wishing failure on a team can bring bad karma my friend, I'd be more concerned with the goings on of my own team before rubbishing another as crap.

@ Mr S

I reckon the RB8 scoop is there for more than just cooling purposes. As one engineer put it "if that is purely for driver cooling, Red Bull better be praying it doesnt rain at anyone of the races this season, as the drivers feet and legs will be soaked!"
I said it before the engineer :D
I said it the moment I saw the picture

They are trying 1 Up Mercedes F-duct. They vent is huge. Gigantic. I think they are looking for a shorter pathway to feed clean air to the rear of the car. I am not sure how this is possible. But that is my hunch. I flat out refuse to believe that it is only for Driver Cooling

pocketmoon

kris wrote:Wasn't the car with Double diffuser by brawn launched in the second test?. It took a lot of discussion and time before others could copy it, by that time they had a huge lead in WDC and WCC.
Yes and what an epic start to 2009 that was the team. Brawn knew they had a race winning car when Honda pulled out. He knew they had something special. It wasn't a case of the car being late.

Hoping it's the same this year :)

Rob

spadeflush

Trocola, give it a rest. nobody here is saying that the W03 is going to be an outright winner. We haven't even seen the car yet. Dont judge it before Australia. Dont be a hater.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

Hail22

jordangp wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Lets all agree on something, Formula 1 belongs to manufacturers not drinks companies (Red Bull) or finance companies destroying the heritage of a legendary Formula 1 name (Lotus).

We just want to see this Ferrari, Silver Arrows, Mclaren, Sauber, maybe the return of Alfa Romeo for 2014 (even though its majority owned by FIAT).
Hate to break it to you, but Sauber would be no more a manufacturer than Red Bull :wink:
Peter Sauber was a driver, started a team in 1993 after Mercedes refused direct involvement in Formula 1.

Red Bull: A drinks company who's marketing objective is to saturate in every motorsport and general sports to absorb higher product consumption, clientel.

Big difference mate :)
Last edited by Hail22 on 16 Feb 2012, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

clipsy1H

146 pages and nothing concrete. no matter how the nose is, surely it can not be uglier than ferrari. I'm sure it will be a very nice car like the other Mercedes. But I hope and be a fast car that consistently beat to a podium

Gerhardsa

@Trocola
It seems you are a bit Bias towards the Red team.
Might it have anything todo with you being a spaniard yourself, and Alonso... :?
What is the point of trying to Crusify Costa? He has made a few very fast cars in his time at Ferrari, some of them winning races and championships....Sour Grapes maybe?
I wish i was that "useless" :roll:

Fredy4
Fredy4

Apparnetly the car is running right now at Silverstone, maybe not on the track, but the engine has fired up.