Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jordangp

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Hail22 wrote:
jordangp wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Lets all agree on something, Formula 1 belongs to manufacturers not drinks companies (Red Bull) or finance companies destroying the heritage of a legendary Formula 1 name (Lotus).

We just want to see this Ferrari, Silver Arrows, Mclaren, Sauber, maybe the return of Alfa Romeo for 2014 (even though its majority owned by FIAT).
Hate to break it to you, but Sauber would be no more a manufacturer than Red Bull :wink:
Peter Sauber was a driver, started a team in 1993 after Mercedes refused direct involvement in Formula 1.

Red Bull: A drinks company who's marketing objective is to saturate in every motorsport and general sports to absorb higher product consumption, clientel.

Big difference mate :)
Still... doesn't make him a manufacturer.

F1 is all about money, all teams have sponsors, and they are all there to increase the companies recognition and income. I thought that was obvious by now. Red Bull have made themselves very large, and very popular through sport, and I applaud them for it.

Fredy4
Fredy4

When the car is actually out and we have a new thread can all this TOTALLY POINTLESS arguing stop, or move to another thread? Maybe a special topic just for people who want to go around in circles?

This thread is seriously giving me a headache now. I come on to see any updates about the actual car and have to wade through 10 or more complete BS posts that have nothing to do with it.

I can’t just be me that’s sick of it?

jordangp

Fredy4 wrote:When the car is actually out and we have a new thread can all this TOTALLY POINTLESS arguing stop, or move to another thread? Maybe a special topic just for people who want to go around in circles?

This thread is seriously giving me a headache now. I come on to see any updates about the actual car and have to wade through 10 or more complete BS posts that have nothing to do with it.

When the car is launched, there will be a thread created for it, and the car only. This is a speculation thread, so at least 90% will be BS :)

DAMNINice

jordangp wrote:
Fredy4 wrote:When the car is actually out and we have a new thread can all this TOTALLY POINTLESS arguing stop, or move to another thread? Maybe a special topic just for people who want to go around in circles?

When the car is launched, there will be a thread created for it, and the car only. This is a speculation thread, so at least 90% will be BS :)

I don´t know who should be blamed..

I posted this picture before, to start some discussion about possible wheelbase and the design changes this would lead to, but nobody wanted to talk about this...

Seems like "yes it is" <-> "no its not" discussions about personal interests are more important ;-)

Maybe we can give this thread a new try...

what about the wheelbase?? What was the W02s Wheelbase??
What do you think are they going to stay the short wheelbase route or are they going closer to RB?

REgards
Marc
REal men play with twins!

Gerhardsa

Some specs on the W02 for the W02 to use for comparison

"Mercedes GP W02 Chassis

Construction: Moulded carbon fibre and honeycomb composite structure
Suspension: Wishbone and pushrod activated torsion springs and rockers
Dampers: Penske
Wheels: BBS forged magnesium
Tyres: Pirelli
Brakes: Brembo calipers
Brake discs/pads: Carbon/Carbon
Steering Power: assisted rack and pinion
Steering wheel: Carbon fibre construction
Electronics: FIA standard ECU and FIA homologated electronic and electrical system

Transmission

Gearbox: Seven speed unit with cast aluminium maincase
Gear selection: Sequential, semi-automatic, hydraulic activation
Clutch: Carbon plate

Dimensions

Overall length: 4800mm
Overall height: 950mm
Overall width: 1800mm

Engine

Type: Mercedes-Benz FO108Y
Capacity: 2.4 litres
Cylinders: 8
Maximum: rpm 18,000 (maximum FIA regulation)
Bank angle: 90°
Piston bore: 98mm (maximum FIA regulation)
Number of valves: 32
Weight: 95kg (minimum FIA regulation weight)"

jordangp

Teams nowadays don't tend to release the exact wheelbase of their cars, but you can look at them in relation to eachother, although the camera can change how it looks, so might not always be accurate. The W02 as far as I know had an overall length of 4800mm.

Gerhardsa

Found this now on the coparison for last years wheel base with other cars. they dont actually give the length, but the difference between the cars
Please note that this is from Bild, so take it with a pinch of salt
According to Germany's Bild newspaper, whose reporters have already began nicknaming Merc's single-seater (W02) the “mini Mercedes”, the car's wheelbase is 5 cm shorter than Ferrari's 150 Italia, 7 cm shorter than Red Bull's RB7 and no less than 27 cm shorter than McLaren's MP4-26.

Hail22

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpFPtC6cRE[/youtube]

These things interest me, how they paint and design the looks and decals of the car!
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

yace

ImageImageImage

Hail22

Do you think based on testing Mercedes will go for the pull rod system like Ferrari?

Or they wouldn't of thought to test that idea?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Gerhardsa

yace wrote:Image
That is pretty thin..Would be very difficult to pass a crash test?

machine300
machine300

I just saw some tweets mentionend in another forum that Mercedes is at Silverstone with an F1 car. But atm noboby can tell if its W03 or W02...
Dan O'Connor @DanSN117
"Yup, there is definitely a @MercedesAMGF1 car on the track"
Paulblack @paulblackie
Up and ready to head off too Silverstone to see the new Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 car be launched today!

I have just had a look at the new car but can't take any pictures until press launch in Barcelona next week.

apparently crew working on car to 4am this morning hopefully it's going out on circuit at 10ish.

yes mate both Michael and Nico are driving today

had the pleasure of meeting Nico and Michael on a few occasions now and both cracking fellas.
do not know what to think of the second guy..

retpog55
retpog55

http://www.f1zone.net/news/late-launch- ... ial/12336/

Building a little more on the Newey article from earlier but mainly similar to what we know already.
Last edited by retpog55 on 16 Feb 2012, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

buki_nelu

Hello to all people on this forum.

I got the information that the new W03 is in Silverstone today, both Nico and Michael are there... source: Mercedes AMG fan page-facebook... I hope for some paparaci pictures today
SCUBA diving and Formula 1 are the same,by both you are successful if you go beyond the current limits...

Hail22

With Ross Brawn, Bob, Aldo Costa and Willis on the team, this car could change the fabric of the season altogether it all falls down to the ethos in the team and whether Costa was allowed to create a Byrne floor.

Willis a rear wing that teeters on the edge of the rules but still legal.

Bob: Front wing wizard.

And Brawn the director built on genious and also able to keep his cards close to his chest.

New budget, formal works team now...i feel positive energy right about now.

Can't believe a Ferrari enthusiast right here and i'm getting excited about this Merc! THATS FORMULA 1!

Gilles Villeneuve