Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Hail22 - do you mean the grid in general, or the W02 vs W03 in particular?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

yace

here is my last work, this time i used the pictures
ImageImageImage

Mr.S
Mr.S

Mercedes have given their new W03 F1 challenger a shakedown at Silverstone ahead of its official launch in Barcelona next Tuesday.

Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg each did 50km for what was officially a private filming day.

Their late unveiling has led to suspicions the team has something to hide from its 2012 rivals.

German media have speculated that the car has been held back to give rivals less time to crack its secrets before the season opener in Australia next month.

Red Bull's Adrian Newey says that is always a possibility.

"I was told by the German press, whether this is true or not, that the car was ready to run at the last test but they chose not to and why would that be?," he said before being inducted into the Motor Sport magazine Hall of Fame.

"I said I've got no idea but why you might choose to do that would be if you had some feature on your car which you think is a big benefit and which is relatively easily copied. I'm not saying that is the reason, but it's a possible reason.

The Mercedes, he said, would be looked at closely by rivals only if its performance indicated they were on to something.

"If it comes out and goes three seconds quicker than anybody else, yes of course," he said.

"Other than that, simply because its later doesn't mean to say you are going to suddenly show more attention at that than anybody else's."

Mercedes say they decided to launch the car later than others to give themselves the maximum time for development. Apart from Mercedes, only Marussia and HRT have yet to take the wraps off their 2012 machines.

Newey says it takes about six weeks to evaluate properly a development on a rival car and get it to the point where you could put it on your own.

"If you were prepared to simply go out and copy it because you think it's such a blinding idea without actually evaluating it properly then you can cut a bit of time out of that," he added.

wunderkind
wunderkind

yace wrote:Image

yace,

Very nice!

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

wunderkind wrote:

yace,

Very nice!
I like it a lot! Super-radical with pretty much everything! I really like the sidepod area and the engine cover. I just want the w03 to look fast and different!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Can the exhaust be mounted that high yace?
More could have been done.
David Purley

gandharva

Nice drawing, but I think the mounting plates of the nose are wrong. Look at this picture:

Last edited by gandharva on 17 Feb 2012, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Tyler

I wonder if there isn't something interesting going on with the step in the nose - Haug commented that they found a very dynamic solution. Seeing as though he already knew the majority of the cars have the stepped nose I wonder if they have an extra feature in that area - possibly an inlet like Red Bull?

shelly
shelly

My impression is that there is some tapering of the higher part of the step in the nose when seen in top view
twitter: @armchair_aero

george1981
george1981

gandharva wrote: Nice drawing, but I think the mounting plates of the nose are wrong. Look at this picture:

The front wing pylons do look very big in that image. Getting on for Williams walrus style from a few years ago.

retpog55
retpog55

shelly wrote:My impression is that there is some tapering of the higher part of the step in the nose when seen in top view
A possible inlet / duct in the step? :idea: ??? :wtf:

Mr.S
Mr.S

wunderkind wrote:

yace,

Very nice!
Nice Job. If the sidepods are that SLEEK,I would be happy

beelsebob
beelsebob

gandharva wrote:

I don't really see from the picture where you've got the idea of the extra-low side pods from – they seem to be as high as the top of the wheels – i.e. right next to the cockpit.

ovidiulucaci

WOW!!!!
That's a radical car, but i think that the mounting plates of the nose are wider.
Very interesting position of the exhaust. Is it legal?
I like the sidepods too and i think that it's a very possible design solution for merc.
Hope that will be fast!!!

yace

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Can the exhaust be mounted that high yace?
i don't know, on the pics there is a bump in this area, so i supposed it was the exhausts

@ others: i know i did some mistakes because i was in a hurry. and the quality of the pictures is very bad
Last edited by yace on 17 Feb 2012, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage