Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
kris
kris

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Is that a reflection on the tip of the nose or is it the now legendary FW f-duct?

gonzo_sbz
gonzo_sbz

Good
Last edited by gonzo_sbz on 17 Feb 2012, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Tyler

stringy wrote:Very stepped nose there, looks a bit like the Ferrari.

Any thoughts about exhausts? Whats the black area just above the "P" from Petronas? Too far forward to be an exhaust??
Looks like the exhaust to me - wouldn't be too far forward

Mandrake
Mandrake

Sidepods look a lot better than last year!

Secondary inlet as last year.

I think the dark material is where the exhaust is rooted below, leading to an exit a la Red Bull. I think you can expect the exhaust to exit close to Redbull's exit location.

I believe the stepped nose will not be as square as Ferrari's, more like the Caterham with ridges, but impossible to see from this angle.

Looks a lot nicer than the W02 and a lot better than most of the other '12 cars.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Raptor22 wrote:that exhaust outlet will be problematic to make work
Maybe that's why they needed an extra 2 weeks?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Mandrake wrote:Sidepods look a lot better than last year!

I think the dark material is where the exhaust is rooted below, leading to an exit a la Red Bull. I think you can expect the exhaust to exit close to Redbull's exit location.
Looks more like Sauber exhaust than RBR for sure.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ovidiulucaci

I'm dissapointed with that design. Nothing spectacular, like all the cars on the grid. :(
What's there to hide?

Mandrake
Mandrake

You could be right Owen, it maybe starts where the black bits start...but far more towards the car's centre than the Sauber.

I'm impressed by Yace's mockup though, the sidepods are very accurate....and all that just from blurry images. Well done Yace!

Gerhardsa

Mandrake wrote:Sidepods look a lot better than last year!

I believe the stepped nose will not be as square as Ferrari's, more like the Caterham with ridges, but impossible to see from this angle.

Looks a lot nicer than the W02 and a lot better than most of the other '12 cars.
The nose does not look as flat as the other cars'. Seems more "rounded" on top leading into the step... F duct is on this nose it seems (obviously the splitter inside cannot be seen, but i think its safe to assume its on the cars new nose/front wing)
Last edited by Gerhardsa on 17 Feb 2012, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Tyler

At least the sidepods look a lot sleeker than those fat ones on the W02.
It looks like an evolution of the W02, which seems to be the way to go.
The teams that have evolved last years car have the benefit of honing the good features and eliminating the bad and seem to be having a much easier time of things (Lotus, Red Bull) than those who have gone for revolution (Ferrari).
This fits with Schumi's comments of the team building towards a really good car.
I think if they have anything to hide it's probably more to do with the inner workings of the car than something that's immediately obvious from the outside.
Last edited by Tyler on 17 Feb 2012, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

wjpbill
wjpbill

Well I guess that they'll have to launch today now as no point holding back whatever it is they've got to tackle RBR.

Newey must be quite happy with nice hi-res pictures being handed out....

gonzo_sbz
gonzo_sbz

Looks like push rod suspension in front.....?
Last edited by gonzo_sbz on 17 Feb 2012, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.

pocketmoon

fyi ScarbsF1 is tweating :)

Mercedes W03: Exhaust exit far forwards and trail over top of sidepods and through rear suspension http://bit.ly/zfbc2B

Mercedes W03: Brawn-esque roll hoop, rounded heavily undercut sidepods, roll hoop inlet for gearbox cooling http://bit.ly/zfbc2B

Mercedes W03: tiny rounded nose makes the step look even bigger, pushrod front susp, http://bit.ly/zfbc2B via @f1fanatic_co_uk

I'm sure you ALL following him already :)

Mandrake
Mandrake

ovidiulucaci wrote:I'm dissapointed with that design. Nothing spectacular, like all the cars on the grid. :(
What's there to hide?
What do you want to see spectacular about it? The nose is not visible in detail, so we cannot see if it's spectacular. The Sidepods look very good to me, different from the other teams and heading into the right direction coming from the W02.

Overall I'm more satisfied with its looks than I was with the W03. Surely, look doesn't tell about performance, but the major design flaws this board discovered for the W02 have been improved quite a lot.....now if only the build quality is up to Mercedes standards a lot of discussion ground is nullified :D

I also think the front suspension is mounted very low....there is so much space towards to top of the bulkhead

yace

sterumbelow wrote:Image
thanx bro!

the rear is disappointing :(
ImageImageImage