Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

gridwalker wrote:Try this one out for size :

I think they have a sauber-style arrangement.

The Merc looks to be located closer to the center of the car than the Sauber. The W02 had a similar way of blowing over the diffuser last year, so perhaps they have some data in this area.
Honda!

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

dren wrote:Yeah, looks like the Sauber. The sidepod top profile looks just like last year's but with a tighter undercut.
Are you sure? It should be slimmer, I think. Front profile is what interests me ths most though.

issues4
issues4

personally, this image still indicates that the exists sit under the rear wishbones at the suspension. I still think the heat shielding is due to pipe routing under the body, but like someone stated can be an indication of different outlet positions duting the Barca test. Secondly, i feel the image alludes to a semi U-shaped pod on top..looking at the flow of the lines.

the nose looks VERY narrow at the front..look at the relation of the size of the hole with regards to the sides. it does def suggest a rounder tip...(or a larger hole for that matter)
P.S - that badge is just silly :lol: remainds me of those huge-ass VW badges you used to get on the vw kombi busses :lol:
Last edited by issues4 on 17 Feb 2012, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

atanatizante

There`s a hole?
What for?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Tozza Mazza

atanatizante wrote: There`s a hole?
What for?

Driver cooling.

Oh wait that doesn't exist.

dren

atanatizante wrote: There`s a hole?
What for?
I noticed that...figured it was a shadow or something. I don't see it being an intake, that is the detachable driver protection area right?
Honda!

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Watching the video in 1080p shows its a black surface :wtf:

dren

Schulteiss wrote:
dren wrote:Yeah, looks like the Sauber. The sidepod top profile looks just like last year's but with a tighter undercut.
Are you sure? It should be slimmer, I think. Front profile is what interests me ths most though.
I meant when looking at the car from the side, the top looks the same leading towards the rear. When looking at the car from above, as in the teaser, it looks narrower, yes.
Honda!

issues4
issues4

dunno, looks like an antenna/fin to me, similar to the one on the new mclaren

VarioR

Gerhardsa wrote:
VarioR wrote:Image
hmm...no splitter for the F duct?
Maybe just a "promotion/filming" version?
ps..i know this has been discussed previously, but wont the merc badge not being a sticker have some affect on aero?

It's a big hole at the front, bigger than usual.

It's probably the F-duct

I don't think that could be a promotional version, the main "inovations" of the car still hidden..

my opinion
Being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win...

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

dren wrote:

The Merc looks to be located closer to the center of the car than the Sauber. The W02 had a similar way of blowing over the diffuser last year, so perhaps they have some data in this area.
Yep, the arrangement is very similar, but it seems to me that the huge extra room at the back compared to Sauber's could make this quite the more effective. Could be very well positioned towards the beam wing in the same simple way of RB, without having to fool around with the wishbones like they have?

dren

Perhaps they are trying to blow the exhaust through a starter hole similar in size to the Sauber one? We'll see the diffuser in a few days.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

Wonderful evolution of W03. It looks as if MB kept the approximate length of W02 crash structure yet added all their length at the rear of the car making the suspension look somewhat stretched in the rearward direction. This seems to be a trend this year in pushing the mass forward of the rear suspension. Their exhaust solution is a more elegant design than other MB engines teams IMO, unless Mclaren knows something we don't know. I'm eager to see the other solutions MB will be testing at Barcelona. I suspect they will test an arrangement which is further back as well. Sidepods look great. I fully suspect the double radiator arrangement is gone in favor of a very low single arrangement.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

dren wrote:Perhaps they are trying to blow the exhaust through a starter hole similar in size to the Sauber one? We'll see the diffuser in a few days.
Interesting. Seems the starter hole is being utilized by some teams yes. Do you by any chance imagine a U-sidepod? Just can't get rid of the feeling. Something is definitely very different if I imagine a front view.

manchild
manchild

hi res

Last edited by manchild on 17 Feb 2012, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.