Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral
aral

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

Gerhardsa wrote:
VarioR wrote:Image
hmm...no splitter for the F duct?
Maybe just a "promotion/filming" version?
ps..i know this has been discussed previously, but wont the merc badge not being a sticker have some affect on aero?
This appears to be a promo shot. The Merc star is clearly a 3D emblem, whereas on the F1 car itself, it is a painted star. Further, the tip of the new nose is much narrower than the W02, so the inlet would appear to be proportionally larger.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

gilgen wrote:
Gerhardsa wrote:
VarioR wrote:Image
hmm...no splitter for the F duct?
Maybe just a "promotion/filming" version?
ps..i know this has been discussed previously, but wont the merc badge not being a sticker have some affect on aero?
This appears to be a promo shot. The Merc star is clearly a 3D emblem, whereas on the F1 car itself, it is a painted star. Further, the tip of the new nose is much narrower than the W02, so the inlet would appear to be proportionally larger.
It was not. In fact, it was 3D as well.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

manchild wrote:hi res

No. It is NOT a U-pod.

Ferraripilot

Will someone explain a bit how positioning the exhaust further towards the front is more beneficial than when positioned at the back a la RB8? The RB8 exhaust looks as if the gases are very concentrated to one area not yielding as much benefit, while the MB/Sauber solution appears to be a more broad solution benefitting more of the general area but losing some velocity. Clarification would be great

Gerhardsa

Ferraripilot wrote:Will someone explain a bit how positioning the exhaust further towards the front is more beneficial than when positioned at the back a la RB8? The RB8 exhaust looks as if the gases are very concentrated to one area not yielding as much benefit, while the MB/Sauber solution appears to be a more broad solution benefitting more of the general area but losing some velocity. Clarification would be great
exactly what i was talking about a few pages back... trying to blow a bigger area through the spread of the gasses, at the cost of velocity VS, conentrated and faster velocity...

Ferraripilot

Gerhardsa wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Will someone explain a bit how positioning the exhaust further towards the front is more beneficial than when positioned at the back a la RB8? The RB8 exhaust looks as if the gases are very concentrated to one area not yielding as much benefit, while the MB/Sauber solution appears to be a more broad solution benefitting more of the general area but losing some velocity. Clarification would be great
exactly what i was talking about a few pages back... trying to blow a bigger area through the spread of the gasses, at the cost of velocity VS, conentrated and faster velocity...

+1 someone clarify please. At first look, I would think blowing a larger spread area would be of more benefit than one concentrated high velocity area.

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

I don't think it is more beneficial. The RB solution seems to be the most effective. What seems obvious though, is that they could achieve that positioning by altering the rear suspension layout, there is a wishbone less, I think, in the way, and still the remaining suspension element is blown a bit, seemingly in a beneficial way to the airflow. That is exactly why all other teams have opted for other layouts. The rear suspension is in the way. But that is just my take, I may be totally misguided here....
Last edited by Schulteiss on 17 Feb 2012, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

Gerhardsa

Ferraripilot wrote:
Gerhardsa wrote:

+1 someone clarify please. At first look, I would think blowing a larger spread area would be of more benefit than one concentrated high velocity area.
It can go either way depending on how you see it and your philosophy when building the car i guess.
Some say, faster velocity = more Downforce(which makes sense and is obvious), that can push the car tighter to the ground. Thats one way of thinking.
The other is, blowing a bigger area at a little less speed will create more downforce over a greater area.

Its impossible to say which is best without being able to see actual data related to the two "philosophies". (if this makes any sense to anyone :wtf: )

retpog55
retpog55

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://ww ... uNIJplhK2Q

Has this video been posted yet? It is an in car lap of Silverstone in the new W03. sorry if it has already been posted, it's too hard to keep up to date with this thread as there is a new page every hour, haha.

*edit - ahh i'm guessing it has already been posted when i look back but my comp wont stream it on this forum.

VarioR

retpog55 wrote:http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://ww ... uNIJplhK2Q

Has this video been posted yet? It is an in car lap of Silverstone in the new W03. sorry if it has already been posted, it's too hard to keep up to date with this thread as there is a new page every hour, haha.
Yes, it has been posted. Page 169 i guess.
Being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win...

wunderkind
wunderkind

I am very intrigued by the slim line nose cone.

I think the nose cone is where the trick is. Norbert remarked it is "dynamic".

Intego

I'm under the impression Nico and Michael drove two different cars regarding sidepods, engine cover and rear ... :-k
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

Intego wrote:I'm under the impression Nico and Michael drove two different cars regarding sidepods, engine cover and rear ... :-k
??

Ferraripilot

wunderkind wrote:I am very intrigued by the slim line nose cone.

I think the nose cone is where the trick is. Norbert remarked it is "dynamic".

As I am inspecting it, it looks like the nose has a very rounded top all the way back to the bulkhead where it then turns into a 'V'. Everyone else seems to have a fairly flat top of the nose which then takes a steep step.

yace

issues4 wrote:i dunno, maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me :shock: , but this looks as clear as day to me..im not disputing the black part all the way to the P of Petronas...but perhaps it is heat shielded all the way up there because of the turn in the pipes under the bodywork or even a similar "back-pressure"/chimney setup ferrari were/are running in their exhaust from late 2011? the odd kink in the sidepod from the teaser topview might support this?
too close to the diffuser, illegal
ImageImageImage