Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

You can see the triangular inlet in the left mirror

Last edited by Forza on 17 Feb 2012, 18:07, edited 1 time in total.

Ferraripilot

The front wing pylons are noticeable longer and seem to all attach to the main front wing element as opposed to many teams who have only a small portion of the wing pylons mounted to the actual wing element, but rather trailing behind. I'm wondering if the f-duct passages in the pylons are indeed wider or remain the size they were in W02 in order to keep some velocity

yace

yes i think the same, the thick part of the pilon is the f-duct
ImageImageImage

Ferraripilot

yace wrote:yes i think the same, the thick part of the pilon is the f-duct

Makes sense. No sense changing that interpretation when they already understand it.

Peetbeat
Peetbeat

One thing is clear. Mercedes has pulled all the attention on their car and that was not accidentally. I really hope that Mercedes knows what they are doing :)

/edit: In any case, MGP AMG is the best at marketing this winter.

dren

Forza wrote:You can see the triangular inlet in the left mirror

Looks like an exit.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

The sidepods really give the look of a double floor more than say what RB8 and Mp4-27 are up to with the very contoured vaccum-packed appearance towards the engine. I'm guessing W03 has a lot of taper to the double floor-like look we are not seeing but which were yielded in their teaser shot

yace

ImageImageImage

aral
aral

Schulteiss wrote: hmm...no splitter for the F duct?
Maybe just a "promotion/filming" version?
ps..i know this has been discussed previously, but wont the merc badge not being a sticker have some affect on aero?
This appears to be a promo shot. The Merc star is clearly a 3D emblem, Whereas on the F1 car itself, it is a painted star[/b]. Further, the tip of the new nose is much narrower than the W02, so the inlet would appear to be proportionally larger.[/quote]

It was not. In fact, it was 3D as well.[/quote]

Sorry to disappoint you. There was a programme on TV, showing how the star was handpainted on and then sprayed over.

dren

The exhaust is in a similar location as last year's side exhaust, just higher up. The exhaust might be set as low as possible in the sidepod per the regulations. The cut out would likely be deeper into the sidepod (more so than Sauber), directing the flow.
Honda!

VarioR

Intego wrote:I'm under the impression Nico and Michael drove two different cars regarding sidepods, engine cover and rear ... :-k

totaly agree

Another pic:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, competing to win...

Forza

dren wrote:
Looks like an exit.
I agree exit is better word for it.

dren

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

Posted this in the other thread...

The exhaust is in a similar location as last year's side exhaust, just higher up. The exhaust might be set as low as possible in the sidepod per the regulations. The cut out would likely be deeper into the sidepod (more so than Sauber), directing the flow.
Honda!

Schulteiss
Schulteiss

gilgen wrote:
Schulteiss wrote: hmm...no splitter for the F duct?
Maybe just a "promotion/filming" version?
ps..i know this has been discussed previously, but wont the merc badge not being a sticker have some affect on aero?
This appears to be a promo shot. The Merc star is clearly a 3D emblem, Whereas on the F1 car itself, it is a painted star[/b]. Further, the tip of the new nose is much narrower than the W02, so the inlet would appear to be proportionally larger.
It was not. In fact, it was 3D as well.[/quote]

Sorry to disappoint you. There was a programme on TV, showing how the star was handpainted on and then sprayed over.[/quote]

I always thought it was 3D. Thx for the info.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03

What is also noticeable from the Schumacher shot is that the W03 can still run a decent rake.
You can also clearly see the exhaust jutting out just aft of the highest suspension component.
The angle with which the exhaust has been cut leads me to think that they will be attempting to direct exhaust flow to either the beam wing or to the brake ducts.
More could have been done.
David Purley