Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mestrades
Mestrades

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W03 (pre-launch speculation)

AbulafiaF1
AbulafiaF1

Metalrulz wrote:Is it just me or is there an opening to the right hand side of the drivers head. Could possibly be cooling for KERS..
It's an aerial you are seeing.

Rikhart
Rikhart

I love how this car looks, everything just bonds together superbly. It just feels like its going to work, unlike, for example, the ferrari that looks like a stitched up group of parts.

pocketmoon

As I modestly point out - when I first saw the F2012 I thought...hmm they've copied the hunched inlets of the W02... ;)

Apart from that - way different!
Last edited by Richard on 20 Feb 2012, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above

AbulafiaF1
AbulafiaF1

Those black gills by the exhaust outlets look definitely like cooling outlets, but unlike anything we've ever seen before...

Raptor22
Raptor22

bhallg2k wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:I'm not following you.

What the blade type roll hoop got to do with the side pod inlets?
The side impact crash structure would have more relationship with the inlets.

Could you perhaps expand on where you're going with your question?
I guess I need to stop with the word tantamount.

Is the Ferrari and Mercedes design in the area of the side impact crash structure similar in concept with the blade-style roll hoop in that such a design will allow development of the sidepods without altering the chassis?

(Which would make such a design tantamount to the blade-style roll hoop where the airbox could be developed without altering the chassis.)

None of those are directly related to the chassis so the side pod and the airbox design could be altered without a significant impact on the tub itself.
Remember its the tub that is homologated but it can be changed if the new design is crashed tested again.
The side impact protection can be altered sepearate or in conjunction with the tub as long as the changed design(s) are crash tested to conform to the rules.
Mercedes could change the entire car but that would be in violation of the RRA.

pocketmoon

snoop1050 wrote:Image

looks like heat tape?

That's a HUGE amount of rear floor visible

DCren

Can't believe how slender the nose is. Anxious to see front view to see how they're going to direct air underneath the car.
“It's not something that happens overnight. I kept saying that until mathematically things are impossible, I will keep fighting,” Michael Schumacher.

pocketmoon

cropped and enhanced to being detail out of shadow.

gandharva

Right click -> View Image
Last edited by gandharva on 20 Feb 2012, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Tyler

samstre wrote:ok. i'm pleased with what i see. i've expected the worst after last years car. but now i'm quite impressed.

the w03 looks really race ready. last years w02 looked like a test car. somehow screwed together. the sidepods look really tight. i also like the fact they finally got a new frontwing. it seemed like the were not able to change their fw design without messing their aero balance.
You are so right about that.
It just looks like a completely new team this year.
This year they seem to be much more on the ball - with the way they've planned the release and testing through to the car itself.

Last years car looked a bit unfinished as samstre said - it looked so patched together from the gills and chimneys everywhere. Even when they adopted a Red Bull exhaust it looked patched together.Let's not forget those fat sidepods with those inlets that looked like a 747 could fly in without touching the sides.

This year the car looks a lot more purposeful - they look like they've put a lot of effort into getting those sidepods so sleek and compact, the front wing is not just new but a new concept altogether - it just looks a much better effort than the W02.

I have a good feeling about this season.
If they could finish 4th with that half baked car that was the W02, surely this effort can move them up the grid.
Honestly as far as looks go, this is the most impressive car I've seen yet this season. It's the first one that's made me go ''wow'' and that's lived up to my expectations.
They must surely fancy their chances this year, especially with Ferrari and McLaren apparently struggling a bit to understand their cars.
If this car is quick out the box it could be a very good season for them indeed.
Last edited by Richard on 20 Feb 2012, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted off topic comment

gandharva

Right click -> View Image
Last edited by gandharva on 20 Feb 2012, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

bhall
bhall

Raptor22 wrote:None of those are directly related to the chassis so the side pod and the airbox design could be altered without a significant impact on the tub itself.
Remember its the tub that is homologated but it can be changed if the new design is crashed tested again.
The side impact protection can be altered sepearate or in conjunction with the tub as long as the changed design(s) are crash tested to conform to the rules.
And I thank you. I'm off to learn how to write questions. :?

Tyler
Tyler

bhallg2k wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:None of those are directly related to the chassis so the side pod and the airbox design could be altered without a significant impact on the tub itself.
And I thank you. I'm off to learn how to write questions. :?
Hehe - I didn't understand what you were getting at at first bhallg2k but after you rephrased it it was much clearer what u were asking.

dren

200...?
Honda!