Monster Energy Racing - MER-VW1[Model] Launched

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Monster_Energy_F1

Re: Monster Energy Racing - MER-VW1[Model] Launched

:lol: Thanks but i've kinda got sick of people telling me about downforce. My car clearly seems to be working fine, and there's jack i can do atm anyway short of reprofiling my diffuser which i don't wanna do till later.

mike_dangerous
mike_dangerous

Monster_Energy_F1 wrote:Okay Guys. I came 8th today beating many established teams. All the speculation of my floor can go out the window. :D
Please read regulation 3.12.10, close that window and let the speculation continue...

MIKEY_!

8th place - well done

Monster_Energy_F1

What does that regulation state. And thanks Mikey
:D

RicME85

3.12.10 In an area lying 650mm or less from the car centre line, and from 450mm forward of the rear face of the
cockpit entry template to 350mm forward of the rear wheel centre line, any intersection of any bodywork visible from beneath the car with a lateral or longitudinal vertical plane should form one continuous line which is visible from beneath the car.

jordangp

In response to the 3.12.10. Your car is legal. I don't see how a cutout of such would affect any of that? No bodywork is visible from beneath the car.

mike_dangerous
mike_dangerous

jordangp wrote:In response to the 3.12.10. Your car is legal. I don't see how a cutout of such would affect any of that? No bodywork is visible from beneath the car.
Is the car invisible? The floor is bodywork so I don't know how it can't be seen from under the car?

jordangp

In terms of regulations, the floor is not seen as bodywork. Otherwise evry car would be illegal for existing. Think about what you are saying. If that rule is how you are interpreting it, then teams wouldn't be able to have a car. All you can see from underneath is the floor, is what that regulation means.

Holm86

How can that prove that your floor works fine??

How does this game work?? What defines if a car is good or not??

LegendaryM

The floor definitely counts as bodywork, the cutout is illegal
MRVC: Tolo Racing

jordangp

any bodywork visible from beneath the car
So is every car under this regulation illegal? Because if floors are bodywork, then I'm pretty sure bodywork is visible from beneath the car for every single car ever made.

EDIT: Before you say it, I know the floor is technically bodywork under FIA definitions, but it makes no sense. It wouldn't be the cutout that would be illegal, but the whole of the bodywork itself.

LegendaryM

it doesnt say there cant be any bodywork visible from beneath the car, it says bodywork visible from beneath the car (the bottom face of the floor) should form one continuous line when intersected by a a lateral or longitudinal plane, which means the floor cant have any holes or slots in it. The regulation was brought in to ban double diffusers
MRVC: Tolo Racing

Monster_Energy_F1

wt has that got to do with the cutouts. The floor can be seen, but surely that deems every single car illegal.

jordangp

There are no holes in the floor though, it is a continuous surface.

MIKEY_!

I think the floor is classified as the step plane and reference plane which is why it's legal. The front of the floor has a raised leading edge as do those slots Sauber and Red Bull have started using so I think having a raised leading edge on your cutouts is legal too.