Le Mans - Truth in 24 Video

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
strad

Le Mans - Truth in 24 Video

With Le Mans coming up, I thought what the heck...
1h31min..743 Mb...Divx...click photo for video.
"Truth in 24" chronicles the Audi Sport racing teams as they attempt to win a record fifth consecutive 24 Hours of Le Mans. The films gives viewers an unprecedented behind-the-scenes view of the strategies engineers and drivers use as they set out to make history against local favorite, Team Peugeot.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ds.raikkonen

Re: Le Mans --Truth in 24

This one was amazing, can't wait to watch the second edition. Audi pulled off a win when the 908s were almost 4 sec per lap faster that the R15s around La Sarthe! Superb quadruple-stints by Mr. Le Mans, Mcnish and Capello. The F1 drivers in the Pugs suffered due to technical issues time and again and lost the advantage while in the pits, even the head lamps on Villeneuve's car stopped working properly at one time! The super-reliable Audis, though, kept on hammering relatively 'slower' laps and won the event! Can't wait for this year's 24 Heures Du Mans. However, without the legendary Peugeot-Audi battle, it ll be a bit dull. Let's hope the Toyota hybrids put up a good show against the mighty R18 Ultra and the e-tron quattro.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Pandamasque

ds.raikkonen wrote:This one was amazing, can't wait to watch the second edition.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27F26UA1i6M[/youtube]

Ray

I'm sorry to say that the second one wasn't as good as the first. They even used a lot of footage from the first one as filler. There's really only about 45 minutes or so of completely new footage. I was very impressed with the focus not being on just Audi and the cars overall, they gave Lena lots of screentime and it was well deserved. It's still in my top 5 documentaries, but I would've like to have seen more on the cars since they were a brand new direction for Audi after using roadsters for so long.

djos

Pandamasque wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote:This one was amazing, can't wait to watch the second edition.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27F26UA1i6M[youtube]
That was awesome, thanks! 8)

PS, I'd hit the plus button but im not privileged enuf yet. :(
Last edited by Richard on 31 May 2012, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed video quoted from earlier post
"In downforce we trust"

ds.raikkonen

Thanks man! Although from my work place, I can't access the link :( youtube is blocked! Will access it from home.
Ray wrote:.. but I would've like to have seen more on the cars since they were a brand new direction for Audi after using roadsters for so long.
Did the pace of the 908s in 2009 and 2010 give them the push? I wonder why they were almost 3.5 sec per lap faster than the R10 TDi? Better airflow around the car? Audi did introduce a new sub-wing at Spa, which had lesser drag for the same amount of down force. But how was the 908 fundamentally quicker than the R10?
Last edited by Richard on 31 May 2012, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed video quoted from earlier post
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Ray wrote:I'm sorry to say that the second one wasn't as good as the first. They even used a lot of footage from the first one as filler. There's really only about 45 minutes or so of completely new footage. I was very impressed with the focus not being on just Audi and the cars overall, they gave Lena lots of screentime and it was well deserved. It's still in my top 5 documentaries, but I would've like to have seen more on the cars since they were a brand new direction for Audi after using roadsters for so long.
Although I agree with you and would have loved an extra half hour of material regarding the changeover from roadsters to coupes, I disagree that this is not as good as the first. While they did use previous material - which is to help establish Le Mans and Audi history, so it's allowed - they used new footage of the race, which is what matters most. On that note, Part II is better mostly because the story of the race itself was so much more intense. Even though I had watched the 2011 Le Mans, it still astounded me that Audi pulled any of it off. As with all movies, if the story hits every note right, then it makes the movie great.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

P.S. Strad, thank you for "Truth in 24" and alerting all to Part II!

P.P.S. The 2010 Le Mans (shorter, but Audi movie is still great to watch):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCyH2SI_aE[/youtube]

Edited to add video.

ds.raikkonen

RB7ate9 wrote:Even though I had watched the 2011 Le Mans, it still astounded me that Audi pulled any of it off. As with all movies, if the story hits every note right, then it makes the movie great.
Well, the pace was there. The R18s had out-qualified the 908s and were equally quick in a straight line as well. It went down to the sustained race pace shown by both the cars, only 13.854 sec in the end! I remember the last 4 hours, when Fassler and Treluyer did some blistering laps, even went on the outside of some cars which were a lap down, just to stay with the 908 in front of them! Spectacular stuff. Even Mr. Ullrich was clapping with excitement, though he was tensed about the only remaining car he had on the track.

strad

When I posted it I wasn't aware of Duda Soares post. :oops:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

To be fair to the 2nd one, unlike the first where most footage was actually shot specifically for the film by NFL Films, the 2nd one they did it relatively cheaply by reusing stock footage and shot the interviews after, then most work goes into editing. The story is just as compelling though. Still nothing is quite as amazing as their 2008 win with a much, much slower car and superior driving and strategy.

Ray

RB7ate9 wrote: Although I agree with you and would have loved an extra half hour of material regarding the changeover from roadsters to coupes, I disagree that this is not as good as the first. While they did use previous material - which is to help establish Le Mans and Audi history, so it's allowed - they used new footage of the race, which is what matters most. On that note, Part II is better mostly because the story of the race itself was so much more intense. Even though I had watched the 2011 Le Mans, it still astounded me that Audi pulled any of it off. As with all movies, if the story hits every note right, then it makes the movie great.
It was a great film, I don't disagree at all. Yet they missed a HUGE part of the plot completely glossing over the switch from roadster to coupes. It was a massive change for Audi, the car wasn't ready at the beginning of the season, pretty much saved Alan and Rocky's lives and gave them the extra speed to barely beat Peugeot. How they can ignore the most important change in Audi's Le Mans history diminished the film and story of their 10th win substantially. They only barely beat Peugeot by going balls to the wall the entire race and owe a lot of that speed to the coupe. I seriously doubt either Rocky or Alan would've walked away unscathed from either crash if they were in the roadsters from years previous.They could have easily filled that time with an explanation of the design changes, talked with Baretzsky about why they went with a V-6 and not a V-8 and why the changes in design of the car allowed them to get more speed out of the car. There was more than enough material to keep the story interesting, provide some good tech info without being overwhelming and give the engineers behind the scenes a little face time. Instead they chose to use footage from last year, gloss over a massive design change, and then hop straight into the story almost too quickly to get a feel for the challenges getting there. I loved the film a lot, but it's very apparent they didn't put in the effort that went into the first one and I think it suffered for it.

I really wish they'd released both on Blu-Ray because Apple in their infinite wisdom decided to put bullshit DRM on a free movie. I'd be more than happy to pay for it and I'm sure there are a lot of people that would do the same.

strad

Pandamasque wrote
Thanks dude,,,Something to add to my collection. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss

cheapracer
cheapracer

Or you could just go to Stagevu DOT com and type it into search and watch it online ....

Diff-user
Diff-user

Two amazing interviews...(i hope they weren't posted before)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TAhWdVU3M4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-U-2WNfv5w[/youtube]
money makes the cars go round
engines are there just for the sound
V10.......V8.......V6....... V none
And that's the story of Formula 1