Reason for hump on front splitters?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
balangproject
balangproject

Reason for hump on front splitters?

I've noticed that many cars have a hump or opening in the middle of the splitter to allow air to channel in and always wondered why? Although most race cars have a flat splitter, could it be due to regulation of use of air further back?

wesley123
wesley123

Re: Reason for hump on front splitters?

In LMP it is due to rules, regulating a 50mm rise in that area.

In other conditions it is to reduce sensitivity by underbody starvation, guiding more air under the floor, reducing the chance of stall of the floor.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

It reduces downforce in some cases, and thus creates a standard in that aera.

But it is to make sure that the floor dosnt bottom from air starvation and thus is a requirement for safety.

It was put to me once that is is LMPs and LMGTs form of the stepped floor for F1. Its a cost effective method that is easily policed and is now a industry standard in this form of motorsport.

balangproject
balangproject

ESPImperium wrote:It reduces downforce in some cases, and thus creates a standard in that aera.

But it is to make sure that the floor dosnt bottom from air starvation and thus is a requirement for safety.

It was put to me once that is is LMPs and LMGTs form of the stepped floor for F1. Its a cost effective method that is easily policed and is now a industry standard in this form of motorsport.
I can see how it is used a regulation but the ASM Honda S2000 is not really restricted by any aerodynamic regulations, suggesting that it purely for performance.

thisisatest
thisisatest

it's also possible some of the cars have airflow (cooling) requirements under there. some cars get a lot of their radiator flow from under the bumper, especially when they have pointy noses and no grille.

edit*
then again, there are plenty of cars with straight splitters. looking at time attack cars, which have next-to-no regulations, nearly all of the splitters go straight across...

bhall
bhall

Though it's not quite the same, the concept can also be used to draw in more air for the diffuser, as in the case of the lovely Enzo Ferrari.

marcush.
marcush.

the raised middle section on Lmp machinery was introduced to reduce fluctuations in underbody created downforce ...in extreme cases the cars were porpoising -eg -the car got into a resonance triggered by massive raise of downforce with reducing rideheights leading to a sudden stop of flow when the splitter touches the ground releasing all the energy stored in the springs raising the front to start a new cycle again .
So a raised middle section or in fact any bowed underfloor in ydirection should help avoiding this phenomenon .

cheapracer
cheapracer

thisisatest wrote: then again, there are plenty of cars with straight splitters. looking at time attack cars, which have next-to-no regulations, nearly all of the splitters go straight across...
And, respectfully, they are amateurs without supercomputers and/or wind tunnels.