Le Mans 24h Race - 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
italian
italian

Le Mans 24h Race - 2012

Today the test sessions starts so I thought it would be interesting open a topic dedicated to this fantastic race.
Here the first photo of two TS030 HYBRIDs: Image

Link to the live timing: http://live.lemans-tv.com/
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Diff-user
Diff-user

Re: Le Mans 24h - 2012

listening to radioleMans.... the Audis left the pit and drove on the pit lane purely on electric power.... sign of things to come in F1 in a few years
money makes the cars go round
engines are there just for the sound
V10.......V8.......V6....... V none
And that's the story of Formula 1

Guisson

Audi dominates practise with a Top 3 ,
1 E-tron Quattro
2 E-tron Quattro
3 Audi Ultra
Then comes Toyota with it's two TS030 and then the second Ultra in 6th place ..
Good stuff from Toyota that isn't that far from the Audis. =D>
The task is,not so much to see what no one has yet seenbut to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees. Erwin Schrödinger

greenpower dude reloaded

Diff-user wrote:listening to radioleMans.... the Audis left the pit and drove on the pit lane purely on electric power.... sign of things to come in F1 in a few years
It may just be me that thinks this, I don't know, but it's got to be one of the coolest sounding things hearing it bump start itself at the end of the pit lane

Steven
Owner

Unfortunately, there was also a major accident early on. Guillaume Moreau was severely injured during a crash in his first laps around the circuit. Here is the press release:
Following a severe accident at the exit of the "Karting Track" corner towards the end of Sunday morning’s session, Guillaume Moreau has suffered a serious but partial injury to his spinal cord’s twelfth vertebra.

Guillaume has since undergone an emergency operation performed by Professor Olivier Lucas at the University Hospital of Angers’ Neurosurgery Department. It was crucial to quickly reduce pressure around the spinal cord following the fracture.

Although the operation went well, it will be several months before his level of recovery can be fully assessed.

The thoughts of the entire team are with Guillaume and his family at this difficult time.

Pandamasque

italian
italian

Pandamasque wrote:Combined Le Mans test day results http://www.endurance-info.com/version2/ ... mbined.pdf
I thought that the Delta Wing (#0) could be a bit faster but
The Scotsman Marino Franchitti, who set a time of 3m47.980, was thrilled. “It was a perfect demonstration,” he explained. « No mechanical problems, easy to drive. It was very encouraging for the race and we know in which direction to go in order to gain performance.”
from http://www.planetlemans.com

Maybe you've already understood that: I love that car! :D Original and innovative
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Diff-user
Diff-user

greenpower dude reloaded wrote:
Diff-user wrote:listening to radioleMans.... the Audis left the pit and drove on the pit lane purely on electric power.... sign of things to come in F1 in a few years
It may just be me that thinks this, I don't know, but it's got to be one of the coolest sounding things hearing it bump start itself at the end of the pit lane
Well then that makes two of us now.....and call me a tree hugger.... but in the next ten years i hope that all racing series will shift to hybrid biofuelled cars..... and with the level of innovation that is seen in motorsports.... i doubt if it'll be any less interesting and exciting than it is now..... And right now Le Mans is showing F1 how it should be done

Saribro
Saribro

Diff-user wrote:tree hugger <-> biofuel
Contradictio in terminis?

Diff-user
Diff-user

Saribro wrote:
Diff-user wrote:tree hugger <-> biofuel
Contradictio in terminis?
Damn :D .... caught me there..... i meant ecofriendly....

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

greenpower dude reloaded wrote:
I am very glad that no one was around filming me when I first heard the Toyota TS030 leave the pits and bump start, for it would've looked a lot like:

Leaves garage on electric power: :)
Travels down pit lane on electric power: :D
Starts engine like Batmobile Turbine Boost: :o :shock: :lol: =D> :mrgreen: 8)

machin

italian wrote:
Pandamasque wrote:Combined Le Mans test day results http://www.endurance-info.com/version2/ ... mbined.pdf
I thought that the Delta Wing (#0) could be a bit faster
I agree... compared to an LMP2 (ignoring the wheel layout issue) the Deltawing should be faster... I've put some comparative numbers over on the Deltawing thread: http://as.f1technical.net/forum/viewtop ... 40#p350040

.....it will be interesting to see if in the course of the next few weeks they can re-dress this balance... maybe LMP2 vs. Deltawing is going to be the main point of interest in the race...?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

italian
italian

machin wrote:
italian wrote:
I thought that the Delta Wing (#0) could be a bit faster
I agree... compared to an LMP2 (ignoring the wheel layout issue) the Deltawing should be faster... I've put some comparative numbers over on the Deltawing thread: http://as.f1technical.net/forum/viewtop ... 40#p350040

.....it will be interesting to see if in the course of the next few weeks they can re-dress this balance... maybe LMP2 vs. Deltawing is going to be the main point of interest in the race...?
Yes, I think it's going to be the main point of interest in the race. But even if the Delta Wing didn't have a great pace it can count on a minor fuel consumption and minor tires wear, important factors in a race like Le Mans 24h.

Edit: I have a theory about the Delta wing possibilities but I need an info:

In the 6 Hours of Spa the top 3 LMP2 spent an average of 25 minutes in the pit-stop, so can we obtain with a simplistic mathematical calculus(very very approximately) the time needed for Le Mans 24h (100 mins)? Is this realistic?

scuderiafan

RB_[Gnx] wrote:Audi dominates practise with a Top 3 ,
1 E-tron Quattro
2 E-tron Quattro
3 Audi Ultra
Then comes Toyota with it's two TS030 and then the second Ultra in 6th place ..
Good stuff from Toyota that isn't that far from the Audis. =D>
Wait for the race. Toyota will need an absolutely perfect race with no car issues or pitstop issues to even begin to think about getting a podium. A race win will come down to an Audi mistake or bad luck, I predict.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

machin

italian wrote: Yes, I think it's going to be the main point of interest in the race. But even if the Delta Wing didn't have a great pace it can count on a minor fuel consumption and minor tires wear, important factors in a race like Le Mans 24h.

With 20% more power per ton, 47% more power to drag, and 50% more downforce per ton it would be a real disappointment if its not faster than LMP2 though.... I'm sure once the team get some more hours under their belt they will be quicker... they certainly should be with numbers like that!

With 300bhp compared to LMP2's 450bhp the Deltawing should consume 33% less fuel than an LMP2 over a given time (given equally efficient engines in terms of specific fuel consumption)... an LMP2 has a 75 litre fuel tank... but the Deltawing has only a 40 litre tank (47% less than an LMP2's).... so I don't think it'll be making any fewer refuelling stops...

As to tyres, this could be interesting... yes, its lighter.... but with more of the lateral load transeferred to the rear outside tyre compared to a rectangular car you might find it has to stop just as often for tyres too....

...Only time will tell......
In the 6 Hours of Spa the top 3 LMP2 spent an average of 25 minutes in the pit-stop, so can we obtain with a simplistic mathematical calculus(very very approximately) the time needed for Le Mans 24h (100 mins)? Is this realistic?
I'm not sure... anyone else?
Last edited by machin on 10 Jun 2012, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH