MotoGP top speed too high ?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
MadMatt
MadMatt

Re: MotorGP top speed too high ?

I agree with that, but even at Monza the speed is not that high. I loved to see the F1 cars doing 100+ meters per second. That was amazing !

mzivtins
mzivtins

Re: MotoGP top speed too high ?

I really don't see the issue here... a stock road bike will do 186mph every day of the week and feel stable and rigid whilst doing it. Think of the physics for a second, straightline speed on a motorbike is so locked in, turning at anything over than 120mph requires body weight shift.

The only problem is slowing down from that speed, but these guys are proffesionals, i have been 180mph on public roads a good few years ago, its not something thats right or smart, but from my daily use of a superbike compared to a top moto-gp rider, i would say we shouldn't worry about these guys not being able to handle it.

I would like to see something like 300mph, 230-240 is just too mundane, the 2000 Suzuki GSXR-1300 hayabusa will do 220mph in stock trim, as performance bikes proved down the road that my office overlooks.

And slowing down F1 cars was only ever about cornering speed.

Also, it is fine to crash at 200mph on a motorbike on a racetrack... so long as you dont hit anything.
http://www.crash.net/motogp/racer_bio/9 ... akano.html

There need to be more events like the TT, northwest 200 etc... since the fall of the 500cc two strokes, moto-gp has become a very weak sport, big wide tracks made for f1 cars, its boring. Lower the top speed and you'll kill the sport off once and for all.

MadMatt
MadMatt

You have a point. I know that the FIA wanted to cut corner speed (which didn't work), but it also reduced the top speed, hence why we don't see 340-350-360kph speeds anymore.

The motoGP bikers know their machines very well, so for sure they can handle the speed but for the average viewer (like I am) I don't see the point in going so fast in the straight. I like speed, racing, and so on, don't misunderstand me, its just I found a bit scary to reach such speeds on tracks that are not even known for being fast tracks. Now I'm wondering what kind of speed the 2012 MotoGPs can reach at Monza.

jdlive
jdlive

Although I'm not too fond on safety and thus don't think too fast is possible, I have to admit these guys make F1-drivers look like pussies. Driving at the same speeds with no carbon fibre monocoque to protect them, respect!
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

jdlive
jdlive

Re: MotorGP top speed too high ?

Belatti wrote:
MadMatt wrote:
I personally find silly doing 330-340-350kph on a bike. In F1 they tent to try to limit the top speed to 300kph and yes the cornering speed is higher...
I woud like to see more 350kph top speed tracks in F1.... and definitively less chicanes.
350 is still too slow. They need to ramp up the top speed for the straights. It's too boring to watch at the current top speeds.
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

jdlive
jdlive

mzivtins wrote:I really don't see the issue here... a stock road bike will do 186mph every day of the week and feel stable and rigid whilst doing it. Think of the physics for a second, straightline speed on a motorbike is so locked in, turning at anything over than 120mph requires body weight shift.

The only problem is slowing down from that speed, but these guys are proffesionals, i have been 180mph on public roads a good few years ago, its not something thats right or smart, but from my daily use of a superbike compared to a top moto-gp rider, i would say we shouldn't worry about these guys not being able to handle it.

I would like to see something like 300mph, 230-240 is just too mundane, the 2000 Suzuki GSXR-1300 hayabusa will do 220mph in stock trim, as performance bikes proved down the road that my office overlooks.

And slowing down F1 cars was only ever about cornering speed.

Also, it is fine to crash at 200mph on a motorbike on a racetrack... so long as you dont hit anything.
http://www.crash.net/motogp/racer_bio/9 ... akano.html

There need to be more events like the TT, northwest 200 etc... since the fall of the 500cc two strokes, moto-gp has become a very weak sport, big wide tracks made for f1 cars, its boring. Lower the top speed and you'll kill the sport off once and for all.
Agree entirely. On long straights like in Monza, Spa, China the F1's should be able to do 300 mph.

jdlive
jdlive

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGyOQR6mu2M[/youtube]

These guys are mostly non-professionals driving on public roads with trees and walls next to the road. If they dare to do it, our professionals in bike and Formula-series should just as well. It's all become way too safe. If you are afraid to die, go play chess.

GSpeedR
GSpeedR

Agree completely, safety is boring. MotoGP should look into banning helmets and protective gear as well. In fact, allow each rider one (1) weapon (chain, club, or bat) and have them race on public roads...with traffic.

jdlive
jdlive

GSpeedR wrote:Agree completely, safety is boring. MotoGP should look into banning helmets and protective gear as well. In fact, allow each rider one (1) weapon (chain, club, or bat) and have them race on public roads...with traffic.
Perhaps you are just one of those pussies better suited for chess or cricket?

GSpeedR
GSpeedR

No, you must have misunderstood. I think they should not wear helmets (or at least have seriously smoked screens to impair visibility), and should have weapons. Or at the very least, the tracks should have a crossover point...bikes are short, there would be very few collisions.

coaster

I cant see no helmet and weapons bird taking to the skies anytime soon.

50% of viewers probably reckon its boring because they have never ridden a motorbike, scraping the pegs and your knee on the road take balls and if you chicken out and back of or brake - the bike will usually chuck you of like an untamed horse, or send you sliding down the road.