MotoGP 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

MotoGP 2012

In a far distant second place, MotoGP is my other main racing interest.

This season has proven to be interesting, even if it seemed like Stoner had each race in the bag. But this weekend at Lemans proved to be quite the change of pace, given that Pedrosa took pole position from the other Honda.

But the race itself was quite unpredictable, given that the order was even more mixed up from what qualification had specified. The Catalan leader dropped back, and the ultimate podium order was; Lorenzo, who had a magnificent race, Rossi, and then Stoner. Just like good ol' time when all threee were regularly competitive! But the highlight was the battle between second and 5th, as the tight group was constantly battling and switching positions. But when Dovizioso crashed from fifth, Stoner and Rossi duked it out until the Italian ultimately came out on top.

My only hope is that the Ducati's continue their upward stride so that the Japanese bikes have more challenging time.

French GP results:
1. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 49m39.743s
2. Valentino Rossi Ducati + 9.905s
3. Casey Stoner Honda + 11.298s
4. Dani Pedrosa Honda + 29.361s
5. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda + 32.477s
6. Nicky Hayden Ducati + 32.842s
7. Andrea Dovizioso Tech 3 Yamaha + 59.759s
8. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha + 1m05.152s
9. Hector Barbera Pramac Ducati + 1m07.846s
10. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda + 1m13.193s
11. James Ellison Paul Bird Aprilia + 1m26.663s
12. Mattia Pasini Speed Master Aprilia + 1m27.633s
13. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia + 1 lap
14. Michele Pirro Gresini FTR-Honda + 1 lap
15. Yonny Hernandez Avintia FTR-Kawasaki + 1 lap
16. Ben Spies Yamaha + 1 lap
17. Chris Vermeulen Forward Suter-BMW + 2 laps
18. Ivan Silva Avintia Inmotec-Kawasaki + 2 laps
Next up is Catalunya on 3 June...
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

Re: MotoGP 2012

I saw some of that this morning. Is this like the Malaysian GP in that the Ducati is still bollocks but the rain plus Rossi's skill put it on the podium?

It's pretty amazing to watch them catch a high-side. Also you can see how closely two or more vehicles can race when aero plays such a small role.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Well, the Ducati is improving ever so slightly race by race, as Rossi was almost capable of putting it on the second row. But yeah, rain was definitely a factor in France, which is what Vale hoped for from the onset.

It was a very good race, I was on the edge of my seat even though I already knew what the order was going to be like.

boson
boson

Ducati are testing a new electronics package over the next few days at mugello, so fingers crossed for a big step over the next couple of rounds.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

The Mugello test was affected by rain again, but I think they managed to run a bit in the afternoon. Ducati just can't get a break when they test!

boson
boson

mx_tifoso wrote:The Mugello test was affected by rain again, but I think they managed to run a bit in the afternoon. Ducati just can't get a break when they test!
They got a good second half in to the day, tested everything they wanted to according alex briggs on twitter.
Sounds like the second day was good too.

Apparentlyt he new electronics package is focussed on cutting power via fuel rather than ignition, which is how both honda and yamaha do it as it is much smoother (And I guess it would be lower fuel consumption which is good under race conditions)

MadMatt
MadMatt

Of course it will reduce fuel consumption. I just can't believe they haven't gone that route already. :?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Is anyone in Italy going to the World Ducati Week later this month? It will be in Misano.

http://www.motoblog.it/post/38723/world ... e-di-rosso

Vorrei andare!

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

I didn't see the latest race, but Rossi finished a lap down in 14th. His teammate finished 30 seconds off the lead in 6th. Desastre.

It's good to see the points are now level. I'm not really cheering for anyone, so I just want a competitive championship.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Red Schneider wrote:I didn't see the latest race, but Rossi finished a lap down in 14th. His teammate finished 30 seconds off the lead in 6th. Desastre.

It's good to see the points are now level. I'm not really cheering for anyone, so I just want a competitive championship.
He had a problem with the bike and had to come in and change it. He and Hayden were running together before he came in.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Stoner crashes out of second place on the last lap! Now Lorenzo is now 20 points clear of him by finishing in second today. It definitely makes up for what happened to Lorenzo last time around.

Oh yeah, Rossi finished sixth. :?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3pg6nJDdw[/youtube]

MadMatt
MadMatt

I was really surprised by his fall. 2 corners from the end, and it looked to me that he was not on the limit in that corner. But I think that Pedrosa was at the limit, and Stoner weight is larger than Pedrosa so that could explain why he lost the front. A shame for him, but Pedrosa deserves a win this season !

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I'm just watching the race now, as it was live at 4am or some absurd hour like that. And the Moto2 race wasn't bad, Marquez clinched another victory.

And it seems that it's practically guaranteed that he will be replacing Stoner at HRC next year. So if Pedrosa stays put, that will mean there are two Catalans as teammates!

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

i really wish there could be a forum here for motogp/2/3 technical discussions like the f1 cars' technical discussions.

the ducati engineeering adventure since rossi's arrival could fill pages.....