Le Mans 24h Race - 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Red Schneider
Red Schneider

Re: Le Mans 24h Race - 2012

#7 Toyota dicing with #1 Audi and takes the lead! Two wheels on the grass to boot - amazing.

Diff-user
Diff-user

horrible horrible crash for the #8 Toyota with a ferrari just before Mulsane corner!!!!.... anthony davidson, the driver then, taken out on a stretcher...
money makes the cars go round
engines are there just for the sound
V10.......V8.......V6....... V none
And that's the story of Formula 1

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

They got the #3 Audi out again.

Ray

The GTE Am class needs to go away. Get those morons off the track for good because they are going to kill someone.

Funnily enough, the Ferrari 458 teams have caused two massive accidents two years running, and the guy that didn't cause the wrecks is a lowly NASCAR driver.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

I'm a sucker for those Gulf livery Aston Martins.

Sombrero
Sombrero

Ferrari sucks with the 458. Two years and three LMP1 totally destroyed (McNish, Rocky and now Davidson). Bad vision for aerodynamic sake...

Diff-user
Diff-user

Sombrero wrote:Ferrari sucks with the 458. Two years and three LMP1 totally destroyed (McNish, Rocky and now Davidson). Bad vision for aerodynamic sake...
true that. and such a shame that an podium hopeful LMP1 car should be taken off by a careless Am who wasn't that high up in his own class anyway. ACO should really look into this and take it up with ferrari. its not only unfair but more importantly unsafe too. And there was no excuse for this. It is still day time, it wasn't a corner where overtaking was impossible and he simply cut in and left no room for Davidson. sad $hit

Harvey
Harvey

Sombrero wrote:Ferrari sucks with the 458. Two years and three LMP1 totally destroyed (McNish, Rocky and now Davidson). Bad vision for aerodynamic sake...

Although I sightly agree with your sentiment, the onus is still on the faster LMP cars to overtake safely. It could be said that Davidson did not ensure that enough margin of error was left for his move.

Diff-user
Diff-user

a direct quote from the ferrari driver "i saw him in the mirror but he came in just too fast. It was neither his faulty nor mine... a racing incident"

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Awesome race this year so far. To go from the highs of leading to a monstrous crash the next is what i love about Le Mans.

However the BHF and BHH and the floor design isn't working, the ACO and FIA need to think about something else.

However the GTE Am devision needs to be scrapped, id like to see Le Mans have 15 LMP1, 14 LMP2, 14 GT2 cars and 12 GT3 cars or bring back 12 GT1 cars with 1 New Technology car every year.

However im thinking headlight design on the P1 cars need to be improved to be distinctive.

Diff-user
Diff-user

ESPImperium wrote: im thinking headlight design on the P1 cars need to be improved to be distinctive.
i think the driver's briefing for GTE goes something like this "When a car is blasting towards you with head lights flashing.... you bloody get out of the way"
i believe no matter how bright and distinctive a headlight one puts on LMPs.... racing is racing.... there is respect or bent over armco

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

What exactly is the protocol for lower class cars being overtaken? It would seem to me the safest thing might be for the slower cars to stay on the racing line, so at least their behavior is predictable and the onus is on the faster car to overtake safely. (Not saying the slower car can't show any consideration.)

Harvey
Harvey

Red Schneider wrote:What exactly is the protocol for lower class cars being overtaken? It would seem to me the safest thing might be for the slower cars to stay on the racing line, so at least their behavior is predictable and the onus is on the faster car to overtake safely. (Not saying the slower car can't show any consideration.)
I believe that is exactly what the rules are.

Ray

I changed my mind. These --- P1 guys have got to calm the hell down. WTF are they doing out there? This is ridiculous.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

I see. Thanks. I know in F1 sometimes a backmarker will move off the racing line through a turn, especially when multiple cars are coming through. Maybe they have different conventions.