Tire drag of a tricyle

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
cheapracer
cheapracer

Re: Slip angle of a tricyle

MadMatt wrote: I am more interested in the tire drag than the slip angle
I suggest you find Greg Locock on the net and chat with him, Greg was team leader for some years of the Ford Solar Challenge team and has some quite surprising info about the tires they used. Bad news for you is they found the right tires the hard way, practical rolling resistance testing that went aganst all the theory.

Google "Greg Locock tires suspension" etc, you'll find him, nice guy.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

cheapracer wrote:Bad news for you is they found the right tires the hard way, practical rolling resistance testing that went aganst all the theory.
I'd say that's contingent upon whether or not you're using the right theory to begin with.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: Tire drag of a tricyle

What cheapy meant was "conventional wisdom of solar car racers at the time"

They had a Crr of 0.0027, roughly 3 times better than a good car tire even now, and perhaps half of the usual choice at the time, which were bicycle tires. My ex boss, Clive Humphris, specced out the ideal solar car tire in 1987, and asked Michelin to make them. They demurred, but in 96 came through with the goods, a high pressure radial with low hysteresis. Even now they are the tire of choice where legal.

cheapracer
cheapracer

Jersey Tom wrote:
I'd say that's contingent upon whether or not you're using the right theory to begin with.
That's why it's called "theory", if we knew for sure it was right we would call it "fact" :wink:

Hi Greg :-)

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Hallo trouble, how's the thing going?

cheapracer
cheapracer

Greg Locock wrote:Hallo trouble, how's the thing going?
The "Things" (notice the plural) are going very well thanks, finally laying steel to jigs now :wink: