Track choice (FSAE)

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: Track choice (FSAE)

a minimum wheelbase vehicle (rules limit you to 60 inches) allows you to build the smallest (and therefore lightest) possible chassis. A longer wheelbase has better longitudinal load transfer characteristics. On a typical AutoX style course, longer wheelbase is faster if you neglect the adverse effect on mass and yaw inertia. Additionally, short wheelbase is better for accel, where you want as much load as possible on the rear wheels. More critical for the big four cylinders, as they are more limited by traction.

There's more to it than that, though.

mep

Re: Track choice (FSAE)

I thought about cornering performance. Shorter wheelbase requires less steering angle. Also is the difference in cornering radii smaller. Even thought that might be negligible small. All in all it should be better going thought tight slalom and autox with a short car. longitudinal load transfer can also be helpful. I would aim for a very rearward based CoG. It will improve grip for acceleration and you can still get a dynamic 50/50 distribution during braking. For cornering you fit bigger tires on the rear. Btw. I disagree that having a narrower front overall width allows you to take corners tighter because the rear axle is going around a corner at a smaller radii which means the rear tires will hit the cones if the front just passes them. I would therefore make max front width same as rear one. This can also help the driver to visualise the width of the vehicle better which allows him to go closer to the cones.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us