Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

1) That is a very small hole for the flow to go through on the wing duct. I does not look like it is even as large as it could be. You see the size of the inlet scoops at the sides of the intake duct, is it pneumatically practical for all the flow from the duct intakes to make their way through that small duct hole?

2) There are what looks like two flanges and the back of the intake plenum. One for the wing duct, but what what is the other flange for? Is this another duct for what purpose?

Brian

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Pelican nose : Less drag for equal downforce comapring to older solution... or equal amount of drag for more downforce.When you have simmilar types of upgrades, it's up to you to adjust it.

"Device", at least for now, is considered to have two benefits.The first one is adding drag-efficient downforce for cornering.The second one is stalling the rear wing and reducing drag on straights.

That's not the biggest hole on the car, but at least some air must go through it.So, I think the Lotus designers calculated well about it.They had more than 5 weeks, so I think's it's ok.At least believe James Allison.He is so confident about this system.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

MarkedOne8 wrote:...The first one is adding drag-efficient downforce for cornering.The second one is stalling the rear wing and reducing drag on straights.
And you are not the least bit skeptical that the small hole/duct channel can accomplish the above benefits?

Brian

Byronrhys

stefan_ wrote:Any information regarding the presence of "The Device" on Grosjean's car too?

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

hardingfv32 wrote:
MarkedOne8 wrote:...The first one is adding drag-efficient downforce for cornering.The second one is stalling the rear wing and reducing drag on straights.
And you are not the least bit skeptical that the small hole/duct channel can accomplish the above benefits?

Brian
To be honest, I am not 100% sure that the stalling effect is.I don't how much air is needed, how many tubes, holes, etc.If they are stalling the rear wing or blowing it... whatever, I think that the hole is large enough.But hey look, that is small hole with very fast and pressurized air, so I believe there is enough energy (speed, pressure...) for stalling effect.

Maybe the hole is actually bigger.Possible additional hole where red color is on the picture below.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.

stefan_
stefan_

Thank you for the picture of Grosjean's car with the device. I'm really curious about their performance this weekend.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Question: How much speed advantage will the drs give on top of this stalling device? I assume the drs will not give 10 km/h anymore next to the 4-5 km/h of the stalling system. That is important due the placement of the chord.
#AeroFrodo

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

turbof1 wrote:Question: How much speed advantage will the drs give on top of this stalling device? I assume the drs will not give 10 km/h anymore next to the 4-5 km/h of the stalling system. That is important due the placement of the chord.
About 8-9 or maybe above original 10km because stalling occurs mainly in the middle part of rear wing.You still have about 80% of rear wing DRS flap to get full benefits from DRS.

turbof1

That is still quite alot. And makes calculating the optimal chort very difficult then. Though I can assume now with spa and monza less drag will be shed due the smaller flap so it matters a bit less now.
#AeroFrodo

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

turbof1 wrote:Though I can assume now with spa and monza less drag will be shed due the smaller flap so it matters a bit less now.
Actually, I don't think so.Remember in pre-2011 years teams would run almost flat rear wings in Monza.Last year, many teams, especially Red Bull, have had middle downforce configurations of rear wings for Monza.I think the only reason for that is DRS.

Will you lower the rear wing flap and compensate much of the DRS in qualifying (you will be faster in race for sure), or otherwise...

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Brighter version of the image.

That tunnels system is far from simple...

Vanja #66

Of course it isn't, it's passive, yet it "turns on" after certain volume of air is in the system. That requires a little bit more tubes than usual... ;)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Paul

The cross-section of that duct brings me back to my earlier idea, which I quickly dismissed, that they are creating a Venturi effect inside their ducting, between their rather large inlets and a diffuser-assisted exit. Then they use that low pressure inside the duct to change characteristics of their rear wing, not sure about exactly what they achieve though...

swarren7
swarren7

Looks like Lotus will not be running "the device" this weekend at SPA. I was really hoping to see it in action finally.