The Inca Road Rally

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
strad

The Inca Road Rally

Alright, Something entirely different.
The Inca Road Rally...I think they still run it but this is from I believe, 1970,,,.Eight days in the high Andes on appalling roads.
A little over 32 minutes and 479 Mb
click photo
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

gato azul
gato azul

Re: The Inca Road Rally

yeap they do, but is more like an "Adventure Rally" then a full blooded motorsport event.

strad

That's what I thought...Like the modern Mille..On the Inca Road back in 1970,,they took it serious. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

gato azul
gato azul

Actually, there are two events, and it could be, that the event you are referring two is the Caminos del Inca Rally, which was first run in 1966 and is still run today.
It's the largest Rally in Peru and runs for app. 2700 km and up to 5000m altitude on the Lima-Huancayo-Ayacucho-Cusco-Arequipa-Lima route.
It's a "real" rally and is contested with homologated competition vehicles, like any other rally.

http://www.acpperu.net/cdi/historiai.html

The other event is more like an adventure tour, similar to events like Munich - Marrakech, which are open to the general public, and don't require a competition license.

strad

Caminos del Inca Rally
Yep,,,that's what it says here...
"The story of a remarkable road race, Los Caminos de Inca, which takes place over eight days every September in the high Andes of Peru.
The appalling roads and the remoteness of the country combine to make this little known event one of the most spectacular and demanding in the world."
Sir Stirling Moss

gato azul
gato azul

Good stuff Strad, thanks for bringing it up here, please keep them coming

Despite attracting international renowned drivers like Hannu Mikkola, Juha Kankkunen and Jorge Recalde in the 41 times the event was run to date (the 2012 rally will be run later this year) it was only won 3 times by non Peruanos, the last time back in 1998.

jdlive
jdlive

Nice, thank you!

Can I share your videos on my Facebook or will your server crash? :mrgreen:
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

strad

Hmmmmmmmmm might pull a bit too many Gb on Facebook. :lol:
You certainly are free to share with close friends though.
Save em ...share em...enjoy em.
Sir Stirling Moss

jdlive
jdlive

strad wrote:Hmmmmmmmmm might pull a bit too many Gb on Facebook. :lol:
You certainly are free to share with close friends though.
Save em ...share em...enjoy em.
:lol:
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."