GP3 switches to NA V6 for 2013

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

GP3 switches to NA V6 for 2013

In what seems like a move against the current trends, GP3 will be ditching the turbo charged inline four for a naturally aspirated V6.

With the engine change comes a bump from 280hp to 400! And due to that and a revision in aerodynamics, the new chassis is expected to be three seconds a lap quicker.

The car has already been shaken down in Varano, Italy, and run two full days at Magny Cours.

:arrow: GP3/13 development car gets first shakedown
Ben Hanley - Test driver wrote:“I think it will really close the gap between GP2 and GP3, this new car will definitely raise the level of the Series as it will be a more manageable step to progress up to GP2 and then onto Formula 1. I am really looking forward to getting back out into the car for the next test!”
Sounds promising!
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

strad

Re: GP3 switches to NA V6 for 2013

I figure around that kind of horsepower will be much better. There has been too big a step in my opinion.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Harvey
Harvey

So I'm guessing this means GP3/GP2/F1 will all have the same basic engine? With F1 having a turbo hybrid and GP3 having N/A with no hybrid system, will GP2 have a N/A hybrid or a turbo non-hybrid?

astracrazy
astracrazy

Harvey wrote:So I'm guessing this means GP3/GP2/F1 will all have the same basic engine? With F1 having a turbo hybrid and GP3 having N/A with no hybrid system, will GP2 have a N/A hybrid or a turbo non-hybrid?
GP2 currently has N/A V8

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I understand there is moves afoot for GP2s next car to be a F1 engine, the cost of GP2 will increase, but the GP2 guys will have 2 F1 engines per car for testing and 3 per car for the season. The GP2 guys are looking at having the same spec Dallara chassis with a F1 engine (Opening up engine supply as well) with the MES ECU and display. At present its arround €11m for a teams budget for a season, this will increase to €20m from what ive heard.

The GP3 guys will close in on lap time, biy this will provide a good step till they get into GP2.

Seemingly they are looking at a 9 second step in lap time gap from the top of F1 to the top of GP2 and a 7 second gap from the top of GP2 to GP3 on average.

jdlive
jdlive

Improvement! At least most series have got it right =D>
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

astracrazy
astracrazy

new car has been reveled at monza. Boosted to 400bhp, expected to be 3 secs quicker. Looks like a mini gp2 car

aero expert 807
aero expert 807

will it sound better? [-o<

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

aero expert 807 wrote:will it sound better? [-o<
I cannot sound worse!-
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

jdlive
jdlive

CMSMJ1 wrote:
aero expert 807 wrote:will it sound better? [-o<
I cannot sound worse!-
Haha yes those GP3's sound like the old Beetle LOL

"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."