Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Amazing how similar the E20 and W03 wings are, Bell influence still present at Lotus I can see

elf341
elf341

Ferraripilot wrote:Amazing how similar the E20 and W03 wings are, Bell influence still present at Lotus I can see
Presumably Mike Elliot (ex-Lotus) also. With the new W03 front wing and DDRS it does seem that Mercedes is essentially importing the Aero philosophies of Lotus. Out with the Bigois, in with the Bell. I hazard a guess that Lotus' lack of McLaren/RedBull Coanda-style exhaust may have been a factor in Mercedes being so late to release the new exhaust.

Lotus is the only team able to have excellent qualifying and race speed without going down this route. I wonder, however, if this will hurt them next year?

Ral
Ral

If Raikkonen is correct, it's looking like it might start hurting them already. Their race pace looked good in FP2, but qualifying they were 2s off the pace and Raikkonen said he didn't think that was anything to do with fuel levels but rather just lack of downforce.

nacho
nacho

Really hard to believe they would be 2 seconds slower suddenly, sounds more like tires not working.

aral
aral

Ral wrote:If Raikkonen is correct, it's looking like it might start hurting them already. Their race pace looked good in FP2, but qualifying they were 2s off the pace and Raikkonen said he didn't think that was anything to do with fuel levels but rather just lack of downforce.
What? Has quali already taken place?

Joie de vivre

hahahahaha =D>

Carlo's
Carlo's

They reverted to Hungary-spec.

Ral
Ral

gilgen wrote:
Ral wrote:If Raikkonen is correct, it's looking like it might start hurting them already. Their race pace looked good in FP2, but qualifying they were 2s off the pace and Raikkonen said he didn't think that was anything to do with fuel levels but rather just lack of downforce.
What? Has quali already taken place?
Ah, no. curse of being on a mobile phone and wanting to take shortcuts :-) Just meant "qualifying style runs" :-)

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Lotus... so close to win yet so far from it...

I am really rooting for a strong return of Kimi and indeed it has been very strong but still I feel like they could have done even better.

A win for Kimi and a no point for Alonso will make this championship so crazy!!!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Forza

Japan - FP1
RAI E20

FlYiNgIcEmAn
FlYiNgIcEmAn

@OskariSaari
Kimi: Lotus wont use DDRS in Suzuka. "We would use it if we thought it would make the car faster."

madly
madly

Alan Permane, Lotus trackside operations director
“We ran updated front wings on both cars today. In the morning we ran the DDRS Device on Kimi’s car and an updated rear wing on Romain’s. In the afternoon, both cars used non DDRS rear wings. The Singapore-spec floor was evaluated on both cars. Pirelli’s hard compound tyre was used in the morning, the hard and soft in the afternoon.

“We were not able to get ‘The Device’ functioning at a sufficient level for it to be used over the rest of the weekend. We made good progress dialling in the new floor as well as both the front and rear wings, which will all remain on the car for the rest of the weekend.”

James Allison, Lotus technical director
“.. We evaluated ‘The Device’ in the morning but were unable to make it switch effectively so we won’t be using it for the rest of the weekend. ..”

madly
madly

Photo of KERS battery from E20:
Full article:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... n&ie=UTF-8

Blackout

Is it me or this thing similar to Mercedes channel* is new ?

*That carbon thing containing the DDRS channels in the W03 http://www10.pic-upload.de/05.10.12/ghp3pexceqc.jpg

Did'nt notice it on the E20 before