Engine RPMs

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Steven
Owner

Engine RPMs

For the first time ever I had an RPM meter on screen for some cars, and found it very very interesting. Unfortunately, not from Ferrari and McLaren (the latter being the most interesting) but here's what I know now:

BMW: 18700 rpm
Honda: 18500 rpm
Ford @ Jordan: 17600 rpm
Renault: 17100 rpm

Knowing that, and in the knowledge that Renault is to introduce a severe step for their engine, it may give them a huge boost, since that is obviously the area where they can gain the most at this moment

Re: Engine RPMs

Tomba wrote:For the first time ever I had an RPM meter on screen for some cars, and found it very very interesting. Unfortunately, not from Ferrari and McLaren (the latter being the most interesting) but here's what I know now:

BMW: 18700 rpm
Honda: 18500 rpm
Ford @ Jordan: 17600 rpm
Renault: 17100 rpm

Knowing that, and in the knowledge that Renault is to introduce a severe step for their engine, it may give them a huge boost, since that is obviously the area where they can gain the most at this moment
It was a RPM meter for the mclarens on the qualifying at least.. They run at 17500 to 18000 RPM

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

During the race Renault never passed the 16600 rpm....i noticed that and commented that with a friend....Renualt was running around 2000rpm less then BMW.

I saw the qual and race on german rtl, and in qual
mclaren ran up to 18.200rpm.
Honda rewed at over 18.600 and bmw at over 18.800rpm which
was confirmed after the race in an interview with Mario Theissen who said they ran the engine just under 19.000 rpm in qual but also in the race.

Scuderia_Russ

I couldn't get over those lap times...you can't hold these guys down can you!!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

to fast
to fast

didn´t anyone se how high the ferraris reved?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

A friend of mine asked me earlier today: "are those rpm figures completly true?"

To tell you the truth I wasn't able to answer....what do you guys think? I believe they're aproximate figures and not acurate figures....teams try to keep their rpm's as a secret so that their rivals don't find out too much......

semtex
semtex

Ferrari RPM

Saw the MS qualifying lap from in-car on ITV (I still hate ITV though, this is no endorsment!). The RPM was hitting around mid to late 18000 - probably 18,700.

I'll check the highlights this evening to see if they replay the lap and get an exact time.

Improved graphics overall from the FOM TV coverage I thought.

semtex
semtex

Accuracy

It's my understanding that the revs are based on the engine sounds to get an approximation. The computer code used to analyse the sound is apparently very accurate, though there would have to be some tolerance +/-. Teams have been using this technology for ages to get information on each others engines.

semtex
semtex

Accuracy

It's my understanding that the revs are based on the engine sounds to get an approximation. The computer code used to analyse the sound is apparently very accurate, though there would have to be some tolerance +/-. Teams have been using this technology for ages to get information on each others engines.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Well...in 2002 Racecar Engineering had an article on this....

Monstrobolaxa wrote:During the race Renault never passed the 16600 rpm....i noticed that and commented that with a friend....Renualt was running around 2000rpm less then BMW.
They might be missing 2000 revs, but it was crazy how Alonso got third ahead of everybody else hto...

West
West

Who's doing the timing? I know it isn't TAG anymore.

And how come the graphics change from year to year sometimes? Like in 2002, did TAG Heuer do the timing w/ those different graphics (from 2003)?
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Becker4
Becker4

well, renaults pace just hows how vital aerodynamics really are in this age of F1 . . . . to be able to be so competative, with an engine that is not at the level of the others, gives much credit to there aerodynamicists. and once they introduce there improvements for the engine, i would hope to see them getting regular podiums and race wins.

Strax
Strax

I think that the rpms from Renault were from the last few rounds of the race and at that point Alonso was trying to save the engine and the car, so the numbers we saw were not the max rpm of their engine. Also Sauber uses the same engine as Ferrari this year and it was running at 18600.