Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Ferrari F2013 (pre-launch speculation)

stefan_ wrote:I think they should first of all make a car that both drivers can actually drive and set-up properly to get good result. I can only think that the F2012 was built 90% for Alonso and Massa just couldn't understand the car and as a cosequence there were terrible results for him in the first half of the season.
I don't see how that could be the case... how one could build a chassis for one driver and not the other. On a weekly basis you could setup the car differently for the two drivers though. In any event, it's not Massa's job to understand the car - it's his engineers' job.

Performance difference between the two cars I'd only be able to attribute to the respective drivers and engineers... rather than the design office somehow making the car just magically better with FA.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Nando
Nando

Hopefully the next car will build on this car but with the keyword: conservative
2011 they were too conservative, this year aero department was on LSD so a balance wouldbe Nice.

im expecting a much more fluent design and not as "fighter jet" inspired.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Hail22

We shall see around early January some "firm" rumors sneaking out of Maranello.

I believe someone mentioned earlier in another thread that Pat Fry has insisted the Pull Rod system will be in the 2013 car.

Wasn't one of the key failings of the F2012 the Sidepods? (I may be incorrect) and naturally the exhaust layout.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Sevach
Sevach

One question, i've heard that for next year the front wing can't have slots(to stop stalling devices), what does that mean to Ferrari and their multi slotted FW?
Will this rule change make teams (and specifically Ferrari) going for wings with several separate blade elements? or am i reading the "slots are forbidden" regulation wrong?

bhall
bhall

Slots are fine. Ducts are banned.

3.7.3 [...]

Furthermore, with the exception of local changes of section where the bodywork defined in Article 3.7.2 attaches to this section, the profile, incidence and position of this section must conform to drawing 7. This section may not contain any closed channel the effect of which is to duct air directly or indirectly to or from the external air stream for any purpose other than data acquisition.

Although it seems the presence of a pitot tube could make any duct legal.

Hail22

bhallg2k wrote:Slots are fine. Ducts are banned.

3.7.3 [...]

Furthermore, with the exception of local changes of section where the bodywork defined in Article 3.7.2 attaches to this section, the profile, incidence and position of this section must conform to drawing 7. This section may not contain any closed channel the effect of which is to duct air directly or indirectly to or from the external air stream for any purpose other than data acquisition.

Although it seems the presence of a pitot tube could make any duct legal.
Perhaps if Ferrari have someone stuck in a cellar reading the 2013 amendments and rules a long with a more "reliable" wind tunnel testing regime they may have a fighting chance....
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

f@natic

Stupid question about radiators?

With all the talk about the efficiency of the radiators and their effect on air flow over the car and drag caused,I was,wondering if it would have been possible on cutting down on the size of the radiators by installing a 3rd radiator of smaller size elsewhere on the car?

Firstly,I was wondering if it was legal.Secondly if the aero gain would be greater than the weight penalty?From a engineering perspective I,would have thought it achievable,but it would be a interesting exersize.On the 2012 cars you may have used the duct on the nose of the RB as a example fo a air source.

So just wondering if those with the knowledge can tell me just how stupid my idea is or illegal?

raymondu999

Why would it be a benefit per se? I mean - it would reduce the drag hurt at side pod - but it would also increase some drag hurt somewhere else.

As I understood it the F2012 already had a 3rd radiator anyway. The inlet behind the airbox, to my understanding, fed a radiator to cool the gearbox.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

p910iFrank
p910iFrank

I hope that Ross Brawn go back to Ferrari.
He could help to read the hidden solutions in the regulation.
By the way: I expect a Car with solutions that can increase the downforce (i.e RB Back).

FrukostScones

raymondu999 wrote:Why would it be a benefit per se? I mean - it would reduce the drag hurt at side pod - but it would also increase some drag hurt somewhere else.

As I understood it the F2012 already had a 3rd radiator anyway. The inlet behind the airbox, to my understanding, fed a radiator to cool the gearbox.
smaller radiators (or diff. located), then you have more freedom in the shape of the side pod, for me the side pod (together with the floor) is the crucial part of the car after the front wing.
Last edited by FrukostScones on 05 Dec 2012, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

KnightBernabeu
KnightBernabeu

In my opinion F2013's major goal is to compensate for the unbalance that bugged the team the whole year.
the front end's understeering caused the car to be weak at both high and low speed corners even the pull-rod suspension provided a good low center gravity
however with DRS usage restricted, F2013 should be in a good shape during qualifying than 2012

f@natic

raymondu999 wrote:Why would it be a benefit per se? I mean - it would reduce the drag hurt at side pod - but it would also increase some drag hurt somewhere else.

Like I said.it would be a interesting exersize and I guess if it was worth it the guys with the knowledge would have tried it allready.

But I was just wondering since so much focus was put on the effeciency of the sidepod area and the effect the resultant airflow has on your exhaust gasses,surely if you had smaller radiators in the sidepods you would be able to shape youre side pods in the most effecient way possible.

The whloe thing that got me thinking about this was this years RB whith the massive gap on the nose,it reminded me of the Williams FW06 for some reason,which had a oil cooler mounted on the nose.

raymondu999

Yes, the f2012 has a 3rd radiator (fed by the inlet behind the airbox)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

I think the car will really be conservative. Probably the biggest thing they will change are the radiators and the exhausts (either a red bull ramp or a complete transformation to the McLaren one). Anything else will most likely be aero refinements. They never tested out passive devices; I don't see them using that either.

Perhaps the only other thing I see them doing is introducing a Williams-like gearbox that shrinks the complete backside.
#AeroFrodo

amouzouris

turbof1 wrote:I think the car will really be conservative. Probably the biggest thing they will change are the radiators and the exhausts (either a red bull ramp or a complete transformation to the McLaren one). Anything else will most likely be aero refinements. They never tested out passive devices; I don't see them using that either.

Perhaps the only other thing I see them doing is introducing a Williams-like gearbox that shrinks the complete backside.
I will disagree with you.. I think passive stalling devices will play a big role in the 2013 season... a lot of teams have tested them and it will be interesting to see which teams will integrate it on their cars from the beginning of the season.

Edit: If other teams use it from the beginning of the season I think ferrari will need to have it as well if the want to be competitive out of the ebox