A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
PaulB

Re: A paperboard AUDI R18 TDI

mep wrote:How did you made the cores of the radiator?
Are they made from Alu-foil?
No, they are also from paper. I took (as I did at the RB7) a sheet of paper and cut with a scalpell a lot of lines in it. The distance between the lines is under 1mm but i had no exact dimension - about three lines in 2mm.
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

amouzouris

I don't know if you have seen this! I think it could be of some help!

http://fourtitude.com/news/on_location/ ... -pictures/

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

What the hell so there's a driveshaft coming out of the motor right behind the pedals, imagine if there was a driveshaft failure =|

wesley123
wesley123

such things dont really shatter, and even if they do, the driver is protected by the pedals
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

What about in an impact if the driveshaft came out of the motor I don't think the pedals would stop it lol

remydio
remydio

Great pics !! should be a great help for our paperman :p

PaulB

remydio wrote:Great pics !! should be a great help for our paperman :p
Yep, that's right. Thanks for that! Would be nice if the pics came earlier, but ok. :)
allstaruk08 wrote:What about in an impact if the driveshaft came out of the motor I don't think the pedals would stop it lol
The front crash zone is that big and the dive shafts are led by their exits in the monocoque, so I guess, they cannot make big trouble in case of an accident.

Cheers

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

i was thinking more of a angled crash like this

found these aswell maybe it might help you in some way :)

wesley123
wesley123

It is really neat to see how much the exhaust placement clears room in the sidepods.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

found a few more pictures

PaulB

allstaruk08 wrote:found a few more pictures
[...]
Brilliant! Especially the ones where you can see the cooling lines etc. Thanks! =D>

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

Tim.Wright

I will be disappointed if a working rear view camera is'nt your model paul :wink:
Not the engineer at Force India

mep

Nice pictures.
Interesting that they mounted the damper the other way around.

PaulB

Hey folks!
Tim.Wright wrote:I will be disappointed if a working rear view camera is'nt your model paul :wink:
Ok, then stop watching my construction report!!! :lol:
I build the 2011 car. Rear view camera was introduced first in 2012. :P

The first real time since September, I have a bit time to continue building on my Audi. It's still an amazing car. I continued on the cooling system. More precisely on the water radiators. They are insanely big. Much bigger than the ones at the RB7. But considering the fact, that the Red Bull runs 1.5 hrs in Monza by 70% full throttle or two hrs in Spa Francorchamps by 65% full throttle and the Audi runs 24 hrs by 85% full throttle in Le Mans you shouldn't wonder that the Audis radiators are much bigger than F1 radiators. At the current status, namely the fixed intercoolers and the finished water radiators, you can see the whole mass of the car. It's insanely wide and voluminous. F1 car's max. width is 1800mm and 1400mm chassis width. LMP's are allowed to be 2000mm (tyres and chassis). Finally the engine is fitted to the monocoque. Before I did that, I had to do the holes at the front (for nose attachment) and rear (for engine fixing and engine cover attachment). That was a difficult work. Because of the strenght of my chassis, I had to use a needle, a nail and a hammer. Locating the point with the needle and then hammering in the nail into the chassis. It works extremely satisfactory.

Left hand side water radiator with it's air guide. I'm not sure at the mo, what for the two ducts are. One of them I guess is for the Diesel cooling. For the second one I've no Idea (maybe also Diesel cooling...?).

The radiator itself got quite well. The line connections were a bit more complicated than the ones at the RB7, but I managed to do them very well.

The single left hand water radiator with it's mounted air guide.

Another view of the left hand side water radiator.

The two water radiators. Only the left one had these two ducts. At least to follow my research.

Pics of this area of the car are quite rare. Even if there's the cut-Audi around. But that's an e-tron-quattro/ultra and not a TDI. There are quite big differences between the 2011 and the 2012 cars.

Here you can see the relatively small air intake for the big water radiators. But with that fat intercoolers beside the cockpit, there's almost no alternative.

A view from top. Here you can see the whole witdh of the whole engine/cooling arrangement.

A view from the rear.

Another rear view.

That's it for the mo, thanks for watching!

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

its looking real good man! just a quick question if you knew that the floor is angled at 7º from the edge of the plank outwards. its looking flat on the pictures, iv found the regs for the floor area hope it helps