Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Rikhart
Rikhart

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

What´s happened to the "brand new car for 2013"? :?: This is clearly an evolution...

mantikos
mantikos

gilgen wrote:
mantikos wrote:

Firstly, the wheelbase doesn't appear to be short

Secondly, what you are stating is there is a potential for a 20 cm increase in nose length from PY while the wheelbase has shrunk...that would be a VERY obvious and visible change, and the W04 (WD40 whatever you want to call it) doesn't appear to do that.
And how do you know what the wheelbase is? I haven't seen any details posted as yet.
I am not saying that there is a difference, but implying that because the overall length is greater, means a longer wheelbase is also present, is a bit over the top. And to say it "doesn't appear short", when there is no direct comparison, is also a bit pointless.

No one said the wheelbase is longer...I am just saying that you are incorrect in attributing all of the 20 cm increase to the nose...lets not forget the smaller and longer gearbox too

OppositeLock
OppositeLock

8) I like it. Looks like Rosberg has #9 and Hamilton has #10. Finally an end to the silly superstitious gamesmanship. :twisted: I'm curious to see the new five element front wing and other new details. It's nice to see that there are less cooling vents. 8)

gray41

Lewis always has better season with even number so im happy :D

If the car is 20cm longer is isn't in the nose, a lot of us have passed comment on how the nose looks short in comparison to others.

Maybe we'll find out when the 5 element wing is unleashed.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

pocketmoon

Bye bye hoses.

http://wronguns.com/comp.jpg

Of course this changed over the season but it looks to me like the redesign is to keep the the airflow as low over the rear of the bodywork. Not a trivial change at the back!

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Mika1
Mika1

A big difference if you ask me. Didn't expect that after that twitter event pic.
Last edited by Richard on 04 Feb 2013, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from earlier post
The boss follows me on twitter.

pocketmoon

They covering the rear ? :)

Mika1
Mika1

The back end/coanda system is the same system where McLaren started with on the MP4-27.
The boss follows me on twitter.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Mika1 wrote:The back end/coanda system is the same system where McLaren started with on the MP4-27.
Not really, it looks like the second iteration of the system to me. Not as well advanced as the third itteration they came up with mid season.

pocketmoon

Mika1 wrote:The back end/coanda system is the same system where McLaren started with on the MP4-27.
No onion dome shape to the central duct? W04 central duct looks very low and spread. Needs more pics of course :)

packman
packman

The coanda effect has nothing to do with the exhaust , blown diffuser its a totally different thing

take a look http://www.aeronautics.nasa.gov/pdf/foam_wing_k-12.pdf

Ferraripilot

beelsebob wrote:
Not really, it looks like the second iteration of the system to me. Not as well advanced as the third itteration they came up with mid season.

Actually I see Merc as doing quite well with this one as their latest iteration points directly at the diffuser gap and the sidepods are profiled so the exhaust is more of a quasi-F138/late MP4-27 arrangement.

W04s dip in the floor under the venting tunnel remains a real head-scratcher......it looks as if they are trying to create a mini pocket of an inverted deep camber to aid flow under the car.
Last edited by Ferraripilot on 04 Feb 2013, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

packman wrote:The coanda effect has nothing to do with the exhaust , blown diffuser its a totally different thing
The coanda effect is something that works with any fast flowing fluid passing over a curved surface. It happens to be the way that the exhaust systems of all 2013 F1 cars revealed so far direct the gas to the diffuser.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Ferraripilot wrote:W04s dip in the floor under the venting tunnel remains a real head-scratcher......
Agreed. I don't understand what that's about. The only thing I can think it would do is generate a low pressure zone... just in front of the beam wing. But then, armchair aerodynamicists are well known to be wrong 99.999% of the time, I'd love to see someone make a CFD model of it and see if we can vaguely understand what it does.