Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mika1
Mika1

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

The boss follows me on twitter.

munudeges
munudeges

n smikle wrote:Brawn said the coanda exhaust was not working well because the W03 side pods were badly shaped.
Yer........

packman
packman

pocketmoon

the W04 exhaust channels are narrow and deep - that's a lot of fast, hot gas.

Looks like an aggressive solution.

Last edited by pocketmoon on 05 Feb 2013, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

Nando
Nando

packman wrote:so they can equate the downforce of the rear wing at high speed.
Pretty sure you do that in a wind tunnel with 4 scales.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

packman
packman

godlameroso

There's nothing basic about this car, if you examine it carefully nothing has been glossed over. It's true what you see now isn't the final car that will be raced come March, this is the test car. I don't know how fast it's going to be but from what I can tell it's clearly a step forward. Then again the rest of the grid hasn't stood still, so I have no clue if it will be enough to be a consistent winner. It will definitely perform better, and the increased budget and organizational structure means they can develop the car throughout the year.
Saishū kōnā

hollus

@Packman, crucially, there is a floor where Coanda is sending the exhaust. F1 cars are not airpanes and do not work quite like airplanes. Most of the lift created by Coanda deflecting the air downwards will be negated by deflecting it upwards again at the floor and then likely offset at the difusser ramp (think of it in term of conservation of momentum), but you get to keep any benefits from sealing crossflows and extracting air from below the floor.
Rivals, not enemies.

packman
packman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-SAQtOD ... sults_main

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvLwqRCbGKY

here are two examples. I will expirement with a small f1 model in a homemade wind tunnel and we will see...
Goodnight.

PlatinumZealot

That's an airplane the ANTI-THESIS of an F1 car.

But do you mean.. the downwash creating lift in a localised area?

Yes, but that's only local and small.

You see there are two phenomena going on..
1. The downwash of the coanda.
2. The "sealing" of the diffuser with Vortics.

The down-wash... - yes you are correct but only partly so... creates lift on the side pod.. but this is counteractd by the exhaust stream hitting the floor of the car. Let us say, for the sake of argument - that lift is being created. The lift from this phenomena is miniscule compared to the Downforce you get from sealing the diffuser.

So it's not like an aeroplane where you are just shooting the exhaust into the sky with nothing for it to hit against.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

One of the top comments in the videos you showed is that it is not actually coanda effect you are showing, but surface tension.

Your demonstration also hints at basically every cars sidepods creating lift, whether they use coanda exhausts or not.

Shakeman

GrizzleBoy wrote:One of the top comments in the videos you showed is that it is not actually coanda effect you are showing, but surface tension.

Your demonstration also hints at basically every cars sidepods creating lift, whether they use coanda exhausts or not.
Well, side pods do create lift but the lap time reduction due to blowing the diffuser with the exhaust out weights any penalty due to lift which is the point Packman is ignoring. Any lift from the coanda exhaust would be buried in the decimal places in terms of points of downforce anyway.

PlatinumZealot

GrizzleBoy wrote:One of the top comments in the videos you showed is that it is not actually coanda effect you are showing, but surface tension.

Yep side pods create lift actually! A very good side pod would creat zero lift.. and an illegal one will make downforce!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

flmkane
flmkane

n smikle wrote:

Yep side pods create lift actually! A very good side pod would creat zero lift.. and an illegal one will make downforce!
How would a sidepod create downforce? I honestly dont understand.

Hail22

flmkane wrote:
How would a sidepod create downforce? I honestly dont understand.

I hope this may help you mate:

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/downforce.html
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve