Mercedes AMG F1 W04

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mantikos
mantikos

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

Sidepods ALWAYS create lift in modern F1 cars since they are higher in the front and lower in the back - this is not a sidepod discussion thread. Thanks.

kris
kris

No sponsor marking on FW end plates. I believe they had them over the years and most other cars have them too..
Could this just be a normal change or has a temporary FW which has been bolted on for the launch ?

Pierce89

I get quite laugh from all the people who are so sure of how much potential the w04 does or doesn't have. No person on this forum can accurately judge a car on looks, so let's stick to features rather than performance. [-o<
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Huntresa
Huntresa

kris wrote:Image
No sponsor marking on FW end plates. I believe they had them over the years and most other cars have them too..
Could this just be a normal change or has a temporary FW which has been bolted on for the launch ?
Temp FW, the entire car is built around a 5-plane FW design.

stefan_
stefan_

Jerez day 1

F1 Fanatic
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

elf341
elf341

W04 still seems to sport the mini-dd. I thought they might've removed that - no other team followed the idea this year I think?

DAMNINice

fastest time by Nico...
by now :-)

good pictures by f1fanaticsImage
REal men play with twins!

Vasconia

According to Brawn a new front wing will be introduced during this week, also some changes are expected in the following weeks(which is, by the way, obvious).

He has insisted that the car has some innovations though we will need to look carefully to appreciate them.

Rosberg has also mentioned that he doesnt expect a strong star as it happened last season but he is sure that the development pace this season will be much better.

stefan_
stefan_

Aero A ‏@F1_Aero
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

markc

Very aggressive curves on the diffuser vanes... Looks like Lotus in that regard.

Mestrades
Mestrades

LOL.
They've started very well. I think they haven't idea about the cohanda effect.

stefan_
stefan_

Last edited by stefan_ on 05 Feb 2013, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Last time I saw a pic like that was when we had refuelling.......looks like they might still be learning about these exhausts?

What actually caught fire there? Fuel from the exhaust igniting? Bodywork?

One thing I can say though.......is that they almist have the plume going EXACTLY where they want it lol.

They also don't seem to have a problem with getting the actual coanda to work, judging by how close and low down the fire starts.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 05 Feb 2013, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

Mestrades
Mestrades

GrizzleBoy wrote:Last time I saw a pic like that was when we had refuelling.......looks like they might still be learning about these exhausts?

What actually caught fire there? Fuel from the exhaust igniting? Bodywork?
I think it's a delayed exhaust combustion.

Leon
Leon

it's trick, they use 6 cylinders when the remained 2 used as afterburners :docs:
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho